Space - The Final Frontier

SpaceX is cost effective way of keeping America in space.
+1. I think we should support and encourage SpaceX under current circumstances. If it makes sense for the US to re-enter the space program with something like NASA again one day, so be it.

However, in a time of severe fiscal crisis, I have hard time arguing the my pet government program is so important that we should fully fund it and cut others.

I once bothered to calculate what my share of the cost of NASA's budget was. The number was so miniscule (at the time less than a soft drink I think) that I concluded that not funding NASA would be foolish.

Did you realize that we went to the moon BEFORE we invented the microprocessor?

Now if that isn't scary, nothing is...

It really is unbelieveable that we went to the moon with the aid of a computer with less capability than todays laptop. Those guys like Armstrong, Cernan, etc. had some really large nads.

Keep track of the very close approach to earth of an asteroid. Asteroid (NEA) NEO 153958 (2002 AM31)is only 13.7 Lunar Distances from Earth. It is about the size of a city block. More than big enough to kill millions if it hit the earth. The coverage starts at 4:30 PM Pacific time!!

SLOOH SpaceCamera - Live Event

Last edited:
Keep track of the very close approach to earth of an asteroid. Asteroid (NEA) NEO 153958 (2002 AM31)is only 13.7 Lunar Distances from Earth. It is about the size of a city block. More than big enough to kill millions if it hit the earth. The coverage starts at 4:30 PM Pacific time!!

SLOOH SpaceCamera - Live Event

See? It could happen! :cool:

Reminder: Curiousity lands on August 5, just two days away.

I'll be watching that and I sure hope all goes well with it. A failure that expensive will set NASA back years, and they could use a resounding success story.

That and it's just very neat to see that happen.

The "Seven minutes of terror" will be serious nail-biting time for everyone who worked on the project.

I'll be watching that and I sure hope all goes well with it. A failure that expensive will set NASA back years, and they could use a resounding success story.

That and it's just very neat to see that happen.

The "Seven minutes of terror" will be serious nail-biting time for everyone who worked on the project.
+1

I got a chuckle looking at this picture from NASA. 24 I believe is the number of failed mars landers

673285main_Scoreboard_673x350.jpg

Down and safe! First pics through rear camera dust cover shown.

I would have liked them to keep the dashboard view up on the Nasa TV channel for the last few minutes of entry, that was where the action was.

Sweet worth tearing myself away from the Olympics. I wonder if the guys at NASA will up date the billboard :)

3/11 The Messanger spacecraft is in orbit around Mercury.
5/12 SpaceX takes a trip to the space station and back.
8/12 Curiosity lands on mars.

Not a bad two years for NASA.

It is impressive that the NASA team could make that Rube Goldbergeske sequence work flawlessly. I feel that we will learn some exciting stuff from this mission.

It is impressive that the NASA team could make that Rube Goldbergeske sequence work flawlessly. I feel that we will learn some exciting stuff from this mission.
+1

Almost as impressive is the fact they were able to program the Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter to snap a photo of the rover six minutes into its seven minute descent:

Mars orbiter captures rover in midair - PhotoBlog

That's just cool, way cool...

Amazing technology, very impressive, a triumph of human accomplishment.

Landing on the moon was probably the most significant achievement man has accomplished, putting humans there is still amazing 43 years later but I'd rank this right up there.

The delay of mission communications was terrible, the mission may have ended tragically or was a success but the long delay relaying back to earth was a nail biter. I watched the final 20 minutes and I was terrified of failure, there were only what a million or more things that could have gone wrong with no way to know and correct anything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom