Space - The Final Frontier

With a "printed Inconel chamber". Yow. Using a 3D printer to fabricate complex geometry pieces for a rocket combustion chamber. Out of Inconel (pretty tough alloy used in harsh environments). That gets rid of a lot of troublesome welding work in fabricating the engine.
Many news jet engines will have parts made by additive mfg. There are more than 20,000 different metal parts flying today.
You can also do subtractive "machining" & "additive" on the same machine - grow & cut. Todays replicator ...
http://www.mmsonline.com/blog/post/hybrid-machine-combines-milling-and-additive-manufacturing

Ok this material science stuff is over my head, but it doesn't it look like duct tape on the rocket engine :D

Last edited:
This one is going to be a Minotaur 1, which is a smaller rocket then the Minotaur V they used to launch the LADEE module. I'm not sure it will be as visible as the V, plus it's supposed to be pretty cloudy. But I'll be watching. As you say, until recently it's been a rare opportunity to be able to see all this great space activity on the middle coast. Wallops Island is getting a lot of good action these days.

An interesting side note: Last weekend was the funeral for one of DW's favorite aunts, who was married and predeceased by her husband, who worked for John's Hopkins Applied Physics Lab designing satellite navigation systems and often went to Wallops Island for launches.

One of his grandsons recently started working there too and is often at Wallops Island for launches. Funny how things turn out sometimes.

A good PBS show Silicon Valley goes Space Obviously a fair amount about SpaceX but discusses a number of Valley companies involved in space, several of which I had never heard of.

Nice view of the launch tonight. We were in the Ocean City Inlet parking lot with a couple of hundred other people. Could see the lift-off flames pretty clearly, then the flight and a couple of the stages being dropped. It was clearer than I thought it would be. The only issue I had was that the kid at Taco Bell was so slow I thought we were going to have to watch the launch from the drive through window in the rear view mirror. But it all worked out. Fun way to spend an evening.

SpaceX will make its first attempt to put a satellite in to a geosynchronous orbit tomorrow. It will require a restart of its second stage engine, if I read this right. They have not yet done that in space.

The SpaceX launch is live here launch is 5:39 PM EST

The made two attempts to launch the Falcon 9 today. The first one they actually shut down the engine after it had started. The restarted the countdown and tried again about 40 minutes later. I think that is remarkable, they could do that. Elon tweeted there was less than 50%, they'd make it through the diagnostics. They aborted again and will drain the fuel and inspect the engine.

I guess there is a reason they call something hard "rocket science".

Successes like the Curiosity Mars rover make it look easy. It isn't. Challenger blew up in part because they made the launch decision while impatient.

We were able to go on a tour of SpaceX yesterday (DIL works there) and met some of the people in her department. It's a pretty amazing company. We've also been watching the webcasts on the pending launch. Thought sure it was going to go today but the computer aborted the launch about 1 or 2 seconds into the burn while it was still contained. Then the second attempt was aborted at just under a minute left. I bet it's going to be a few more days before they schedule a retry.

Well the 3rd time is charm. This time they managed to successful but the SES communication satellite in a geosynchronous orbit with no problems.

SpaceX's strategy is to entice customers with lower prices—and simultaneously faster launch tempos—than the incumbents. "All of the commercial [satellite] operators have been waiting for something like SpaceX to come along," according to industry consultant Roger Rusch of TelAstra Inc.

Martin Halliwell, chief technical officer of SES, the world's second-largest commercial-satellite operator, earlier said SpaceX's drive for market share "is really a game changer" that is bound to "shake the industry to its roots."
SpaceX emphasizes that it developed the original Falcon 9 for under $300 million—or roughly half of the Pentagon's overall cost to launch a single spy satellite on the heavy-lift version of the Delta IV rocket initially developed by Boeing.
Industry officials estimate SES got a discount from the roughly $60 million SpaceX officials have talked about as the typical price tag for such a launch. Many industry officials, though, predict SpaceX's prices eventually will climb to about $100 million per launch
More here

It never occurred to me that commercial satellite launch was an industry that was overdue for a shake up.. Especially by a start up.

Back
Top Bottom