Spin bikes - your recommendations?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Didn’t want to take a general fitness thread off-topic.

I’m considering a stationary/spin bike for home use. I’m a spin class fan but haven’t been going to the gym since COVID and may not return ever. I don’t want a Peloton or anything else in that price range. Something in the $300-$500 range will do this 75 yo guy just fine. Don’t need a lot of bells & whistles; don’t need it to be interactive. I’ll just use an I-Pad for guided workouts. But I will spin vigorously and mix hills and sprints and be whipped at the end of a session - not just moderate, consistent speeds.

Any suggestions based on personal experience? Any comments on Yosudas?

Thank you.

I just put one of my old bikes on a turbo trainer in front of a large screen TV in the basement and watch the YouTube indoor cycling channel. Nothing like the real thing.

That Yosouda is certainly cheap enough.. Looks like spin bikes in the gyms. If you have a bike you can attach to a trainer it fits the bill also. I have a mag trainer I've used forever. It works fine. I upgraded to a Wahoo Kickr this year & find I use it more often. But that is probably me

I recommend getting one that uses magnetic resistance vs one that uses friction. They are much smoother. I was able to score one in that price range off of craigslist in like new condition. It was from a company that purchased a bunch of them from a gym, so they were high end models. Might be worth checking craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

I’ve only had my Schwinn IC4 for about a week but have been very happy with it so far. At $900 it’s above your target budget (though a lot cheaper than a Peloton!), but I’m a big guy (6’4”, 260) who puts a lot of stress on a bike so I wanted something sturdy. The IC4 has a higher weight limit (320 pounds) than most spin bikes and it’s been rock solid. It’s easy to adjust to fit my much smaller wife. It also met our other wish-list items: magnetic resistance, quiet, and easy to connect to the Peloton app (and a few others). You can only track HR and cadence in the app, not power output, so it’s not a full replacement but it’s good enough for me.

Bowflex sells the same bike with more conservative graphics if the Schwinn is too flashy for you, but for the $100 price difference I’m happy enough with the IC4’s looks.

I recommend getting one that uses magnetic resistance vs one that uses friction. They are much smoother. I was able to score one in that price range off of craigslist in like new condition. It was from a company that purchased a bunch of them from a gym, so they were high end models. Might be worth checking craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

+1
Used a Mag trainer for a few decades. Quiet, smooth, portable, lightweight and small. If you already have a bicycle it is the way to go for the realistic experience. They have easy on and off quick release for removing your bike so no tools are necessary. You can even use the bicycle gears with it to increase or decrease effort. Put it in front of your big screen TV on the numerous Youtube bicycle training videos.

Cheers!

We purchased an Echelon from Walmart in October. It is in your price range. I use it frequently. It is a Peloton knock-off. The one thing you have to be careful with is the forward Momentum. It has a knob you push down to stop it. If you just try to stop pedaling, it won't feel very good.

cd :O)

We have a Schwinn Aerodyne that is 30 years old. Built rock solid. The nice thing is that it is easily calibrated since you are moving a fan against air. The fan provides the resistance. A side benefit is that you get a cool breeze which helps as you heat up from the exercise.

The new ones might be just as good and perhaps you can find used ones out there. Not too expensive.

I bought a Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Trainer last fall for my regular bike and really like it. Fluid trainers are supposed be noticeably quieter than magnetic trainers.

Thanks for the variety of suggestions - will check them out.

For Lsbcal - the Pentagon Officers Athletic Club (POAC) had a roomful of Schwinn Airdynes when I was assigned there in the mid-80s. Riding them was my go-to workout on days I didn’t go outside and run. I still remember the breeze they created.

I just put one of my old bikes on a turbo trainer in front of a large screen TV in the basement and watch the YouTube indoor cycling channel. Nothing like the real thing.

My college kid user a trainer in the garage of his rented house for when the weather is too bad to ride outside...but otherwise he's out riding every day.

Me, I picked up a $95 stationary bike from some online special a couple of years ago, paid the above kid $20 to assemble it.

I have been using a fluid trainer with road bike for over 20yrs and watch the same Spinervals Tough Love video doing various sections from 45min to 2hrs. When younger would do the full 3hrs.

Without the coach directing workout I would not be able to ride at level or time frame.

Back
Top Bottom