Spotify

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am loving Spotify these days. Hated Amazon Music (unreliable) and Apple Music wasn’t fun to use. I went to Spotify when Joe Rogan moved his podcast to the platform. I enjoy Rogan.. YMMV.

I WAS A DJ for county and rock radio from 69 to about 80, so I played a lot of music. Today, I’m still love those great songs but am burnt out on the original artist rendition. I’m now listening to new arrangements of those songs… Tina Turner’s Addicted To Love.. Dwight Yoakam’s Suspicious Minds, Take Me Home Country Roads by Music Travel Love, Can’t Stand The Rain by Alannah Myles, Foo Fighters covering Bee Gees songs…great renditions too numerous to list giving new life to great songs.

Back to Spotify.. excellent quality, huge library, easy to use (and fun), deep dives into all genres. About 11 bucks a month and IMHO, well worth it.

I am loving Spotify these days. Hated Amazon Music (unreliable) and Apple Music wasn’t fun to use. I went to Spotify when Joe Rogan moved his podcast to the platform. I enjoy Rogan.. YMMV.

I WAS A DJ for county and rock radio from 69 to about 80, so I played a lot of music. Today, I’m still love those great songs but am burnt out on the original artist rendition. I’m now listening to new arrangements of those songs… Tina Turner’s Addicted To Love.. Dwight Yoakam’s Suspicious Minds, Take Me Home Country Roads by Music Travel Love, Can’t Stand The Rain by Alannah Myles, Foo Fighters covering Bee Gees songs…great renditions too numerous to list giving new life to great songs.

Back to Spotify.. excellent quality, huge library, easy to use (and fun), deep dives into all genres. About 11 bucks a month and IMHO, well worth it.

Hello Tailgate. Like you I spent many years in the music biz and actually a few at local stations spinning the hits. Life moved on and so did the biz. I love Spotify and use it daily. I agree that their are many new renditions to all the favorites. Todays country is awesome and gets better by the year. Now, I scratch my head on why Spotify stock seems to be strained lately. Ive made a lot of $ on it but for unknown reasons it is drifting lower. But, luv the format!

Big Spotify fan here as well.

What I love is being able to find “new” artists and then dive into their music. In my case, “new” music is jazz from the 50s and 60s. Since I retired, I’ve spent hundreds of hours discovering some amazing musicians that I would never have heard of otherwise.

I really enjoy Spotify as well, I play it when cooking.
Maybe the stock is falling as folks realize cheap people like me don't pay as we only use it a couple of times for an hour each week.

Which of these has the best UI and best info available?

I recently subscribed to Qobuz because they offer lossless streaming. I really haven't had much time to play with it, but I'm not impressed with their search and sort capability, and usually not enough background detail (I should at least get full album artwork and liner notes). I can't create favorite 'groups' for albums (only tracks), so the albums are all mashed together in one 'favorites'. - no good for me (and I told them in a recent survey).

I want a service that tells me as much as possible about each track - composer, each musician and instrument, producer, engineer, recording date, liner notes, artwork, plus links to reviews or other info would be good.

I should be able to say - give me a playlist of Ray Charles playing organ (he's usually on piano), recorded between 1955 and 1962. Or a list of tracks with James Taylor as sideman. We have the technology.

Is that available?

-ERD50

I note many of the music systems are getting good at "music discovery".

Pandora had a lead in this for a long time.

We use Apple Music. If I play the song "Harshest Critic" by Allison Ponthier, the system will keep playing music that is musically similar.

I can make a playlist with 5-10 of my favorite newer songs (or older) and then the system builds a "similar" playlist. They still have Artist or song "Radio stations". Where you say you like Andrea von Kampen and then that station plays Andrea and other similar artists/songs.

I like using different play lists. Making sure I like songs. Then my "just for you" list gets better. I've found artists like Fretland and Charli Adams and Clairo and Claud. So much good music. Hard to even scratch the surface.

I do also like browsing the "Top tracks" for the categories I like. Acoustic, Indie, Alternative, Americana, Country, Jazz. Stuff people are listening to bubbles to the top of these lists. Another great way to discover new music.

Dig into whatever ecosystem you pay for. They all have some advantages and disadvantages.

Back
Top Bottom