Sr Housing Dilemma

It’s 1br 1ba approx 600 sq ft. Rent is about 1350+ elec, cable, phone. DC suburbs.

Last edited:
I am guessing they want to see 3 times the rent in income. One year I needed to get my income up so I bought some OAKBX. A balanced fund that pays out about 8% a year. The Wellington is another good fund to own in taxable if you need to get your income up.

Last edited:
I am guessing they want to see 3 times the rent in income. One year I needed to get my income up so I bought some OAKBX. A balanced fund that pays out about 8% a year. The Wellington is another good fund to own in taxable if you need to get your income up.

No need to guess.....as stated above, they want income=~2x the rent. Younginvestor 2013 reports this is typical for this type of Low Income Housing Tax Credit property. 3x is a typical market rate guideline. They won't recognize any type of mutual fund investment income. They wouldn't even consider interest from an FDIC account.

Reading many of these posts I keep thinking "So money no longer talks...?"

When you're talking about financial institutions that no longer use common sense with income verifications, you're seeing banks, etc. that are not in business to be in business. They're doing no favors for customers they're there to serve. But they're not the only finance sources in town.

I don't know about the physical and cognitive condition of the lady needing housing. But when you get into your mid 80's, you need to be taking the end stage of life into consideration. And for many, that means moving into an assisted living facility that has food provided, transportation to functions and an active social life for others at your same point in life. Such facilities have social workers that deal with the same issues all the time. And if assisted living is too expensive in the D.C. metro area, they'll be much cheaper 50-75 miles into the countryside.

No need to guess.....as stated above, they want income=~2x the rent. Younginvestor 2013 reports this is typical for this type of Low Income Housing Tax Credit property. 3x is a typical market rate guideline. They won't recognize any type of mutual fund investment income. They wouldn't even consider interest from an FDIC account.

This makes it difficult for responsible people.
I can see that non-responsible people could have caused issues in the past as they could have spent the money once they moved in, and then have the issue of missed rent.
I know my Sister would be like that, so I guess that's why the rules.

So they don't make special rules for people who have enough money, but have no "income"?

So they don't make special rules for people who have enough money, but have no "income"?

The "special rules" would have to involve locking up funds to be only available to pay rent. What do you suggest?

Like someone mentioned just pay a whole year in advance. If next year's is not forthcoming by month #13... evict like they'd do with anybody else.

And how is having a large income stream locking up money for rent? I can cash my paycheck/s then drink it all. No more rent money.

Seems like they're already applying special rules for people with low income but lots of funds. "Pay up" should be the only rule.

The "special rules" would have to involve locking up funds to be only available to pay rent. What do you suggest?

I'm not suggesting anything. It's just that there are so many people who fall through the crack because the industry's rules seem so rigid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom