start value 650,000, results graph says 583,951

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
start value 650,000, results graph says 583,951
what's with that? Doesn't even match if year 1 has subtracted year zero spending.
Spending 65k year.
AFAIK I have zeroed every other input page.

A portfolio with consistent growth of 0%, and an inflation rate of 0%
So should reach zero in ten years; that works.

Does FireCalc presume I am retired as of 1JAN in the retirement year, or does it input the actual date the calculation is being run (ie WED 11MAR2020) ?

That's not it, the start value is off by 66,049 - just a weird number. Must be a fraction of SOMETHING...

I believe it subtracts your inflation adjusted spend at the start of the year. So your inflation-adjusted spend is probably 650,000-583,951 = $66,049.

^^^ No, I don't think so. If I set the starting portfolio to $650k with all the rest defaults then I get:

FIRECalc looked at the 119 possible 30 year periods in the available data, starting with a portfolio of $650,000 and spending your specified amounts each year thereafter.

But the graph looks like this:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    346.9 KB · Views: 19
Responding to one aspect, Firecalc assumes the retirement date is the 1st of any applicable year.

^^^ No, I don't think so. If I set the starting portfolio to $650k with all the rest defaults then I get:
But the graph looks like this:

Yes I got that spaghetti before zeroing out something.

But note that I set inflation to ZERO in two places - are there any others?

There is no "reset to default value" button, so I wonder if the cookies can get bolluxed up; seems sometimes to present the results in a different tab. Then when you dismiss the results screen, it might now have two "start here" pages active. Do you have to close the GRAPH DISPLAY tab & go back to the originally open tab?

Just... I cannot trust it at all, since I can't make a simple case work correctly.

You can trust it... it is you. It is really the textual results above the spaghetti graph that is most important... the spaghetti graph is a bit of a side show. Though you will see that the number of lines that break below zero are equal to your failures though I will concede at times that the lines are hard to follow.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom