Still can't spend even though FI

thanks everyone. I thought some might have a similar feeling. We have bought a few electronics recently, as DH is a gadget junkie. I took a nice trip with a friend and we are taking one soon together. I am not actually worried, as I tracked the last few years and we are spending well under a 4% SWR. I guess what we need is some time to get used to it a little more, especially with Dh still working.

and even though DH is still at work with me home now he walks into a neat house, lawn mowed, clean undies in the drawers and good food on the table. It used to be much more of a shared proposition, so now he has time to pursue his interests much more as well. He promises to go back to sharing when he pulls the plug.

Now all we can do is hope they have an early out - he will be the first in line.

I think I know exactly how your DH feels. We used to share all the household chores until DW RE'd 3 years ago and it feels wonderful to come home ad never have to worry aboutcooking, cleaning etc. We have a whiteboard style marker on the fridge and when I want soething write it don and th shopping fairy gets it for me. It has made my working life a lot easier to tolerate until I RE in just over 2 years.

It's a real problem for a lifelong tightwad like me.
My forcasted budget was based on living in the USA, but last year when I went to SEA for 9 months I lowered that budget by at least 50%. My problem is that I actually spend less than 1/2 of that while in SEA. I am returning again to SEA in November and my challenge will be to spend 50% of my original US budget.

Life can be quite difficult for a tightwad. ;) :D

MJ

I am not retired yet, but my parents and my aunt/uncle are - and they all retired in their mid-50s. We are a family of savers, so I understand where you are coming from.

For about 10 years, they continued to spend way below what they probably could have. They would all travel around out west on vacation, but they were doing that before and it was in their budget.

In the last 5 years or so, Mom and Dad are getting better about spending (new golf clubs, flat screen TV, new piano), and my aunt has decided she better spend some before she goes - she just remodeled her kitchen, went to Italy, and is going to Alaska (with me) next summer.

I think, now that they have hit their late 60s, they realize that they are not going to run out of money even if they live to 100.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Has anyone been able to change from the cheapo mindset and loosened the purse strings, at least a little ? How did you do it? Do you have any regrets?

Lost everything in Katrina - moved 1000 miles inland(to the top of a hill), new car, new house with mortgage - basically all new 'stuff'. Three deaths(we'll skip that part).

Don't do it 'that way.'

But - however it does get one 'in touch with your feelings' - party now the clock is ticking(party being whatever floats your boat- travel, phys ed, doughnuts, kayaks, hooker who takes credit cards in Nevada, - don't procastinate on something you feel you must do.

Don't feel bad about taking the balcony suite on a cruise and then touring the Salvation Army sidewalk sale with your bib overalls and 251,000 pickup with rusty fender - while the new SUV sits in the driveway awaiting the next 17 hr drive to New Orleans.

The late Joseph Cambell's - Follow your Bliss:

Becomes unclemick's warm and smarmy - be your own kind of cheap bastard with outbreaks of wildy frivolous.

Still practicing after 13 years.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Last edited:
I FIREd end of June this year. About 30% of our expenses have gone out to 'travel' expenses so far. Airfares, hotels, condo rentals, tours, car rentals, visas, ...etc. are the bulk of the 30% (some for upcoming trips). I think that this may level off after a few years, but this was my treat to myself and DW for enduring 30 years of MegaCorp deprivations. I have 'invested' in some 'feel goods', like a large mp3 player (my excuse is that we need it for our travels and to 'archive' our music collection :D). Also invested in more memory for my digital camera (yeah, another rationalization).
DW still maintains her LBYM habits as I do. In short, as others have suggested, we skimp on day to day stuff and spend on things we view as having value.
Summary: we are NOT having a hard time spending more on stuff we WANT.
We do monitor what we spend (I used the ss that someone had posted here on the forum) and that helps us know if we are digging too deep a hole. For us, knowledge of what we are doing to ourselves and 'where we are' helps us keep everything in perspective (and allows restful sleep at night). So far so good :D
Hope this helps.

The late Joseph Cambell's - Follow your Bliss:

Becomes unclemick's warm and smarmy - be your own kind of cheap bastard with outbreaks of wildy frivolous.

Still practicing after 13 years.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Yes, this does describe us. We didn't wait for retirement to do stuff along the way, we have traveled more than anyone we know, but drive very old cars and wear clothes out for instance. When I see those articles about how to save x amount of dollars, I look down the list and see nothing we do (you know, the not have a latte out, wash your own car, don't pay interest on credit cards etc). We do have more than enough and even since I have left work this spring we have done very well, with our investments making way more so far this year than we could ever spend. that is bound to not keep up, especially once DH leaves work of course, but with our balanced investments we should do OK even in down years. I guess we just need some time.

Does anyone else have this problem?

The weird thing is that we really have a hard time spending money. Our circumstances with DH working beyond the FI point and our investments doing well is we could have some good splurges, but for some reason we just cannot do so besides some great vacations. We do focus on healthy foods and lifestyle, and don't scrimp in the grocery store or in the gym.

I don't think you have a problem. If you are happy at your current spending level and taking some great vacations, what's the problem?

Don't worry, be happy!

I'm sure you've heard that nobody,while on their deathbed, wishes they had spent more time working . In a similar manner, if you can be on that bed and not have any regrets about not spending more, then I wouldn't worrry about it but if you would have any regrets, then you might consider loosening up a little. Since the kids are independent, I'm sure they'll wish that their parents had spent a little more on themselves. I know I did.

My grandparents and parents stopped spending when they stopped working, houses were paid off, pensions, SS. They built huge estates even with just CDs. It made me very sad that they were obsessed with saving money/not spending. I would have to talk my grandmother into buying a new lampshade for example.

I really hope I am not the same. I feel sometimes like I am slipping into the same mode. I am 5 years away from FIRE and feel like cancelling vacations! My hub is the same. I think it's going to be tough for us.

I do not want to miss the opportunity to have fun now that we have worked so hard for so many years.

Back
Top Bottom