Stock Picking (Beat Boho) Contest - V2.0

But the bright side for Boho is down less than 8% since contest start. ...

But what is more relevant, is the stock-picker is down 16.75% points below the "take a nap" portfolio of nunnun.

-ERD50

October's dividend for AGNC posted today. September's is still MIA to the tune of roughly 5k. Glad my real portfolio paid out.:D

I have $503,215.55 cash. I'm just waiting to feel like doing the research I want to do. I'm glad that I could trade again.

Boho is not really in last place. My short of Kite has firmly put me in that seat. I don't know when it will settle but I shorted a lot at $90 and it got bought at $180.

Boho, put everything in CLSN. I bought 2000 shares in real life yesterday and am up 11% but there is talk of it going from $4 to $6 by Friday. You can buy $500,000 if the volume is high enough and beat the tar out of these other fellows. I would do it myself but I forgot my log in password and it is not worth the effort to get a new one.

I did some of the research I wanted to do and didn't find anything. I'm selling ARNA when it hits $27.70 and I'll re-buy if it drops after that. I'll keep trading ARNA like that for a while and I'll chicken out when I hear of an upcoming ARNA announcement, assuming I keep track.

My $503,215.55 cash will have to sit there until I find something.

Folks are a leaping ... The hare vs the turtle.

Spudd just jumped from 21st to 10th place (gain of over $106K) and nipping at my heels.

Yes, my investment in HMNY has really paid off. Too bad I didn't buy it in real life!

But what is more relevant, is the stock-picker is down 16.75% points below the "take a nap" portfolio of nunnun.

-ERD50

What?.....sorry......you woke me up. I'm off to bed again, all this investing is tiring.

I'm interested in LINU. I have an order for 70,000 when it drops to $1.72. It's currently a few days after a jump and I can get an idea of what near term fluctuations to expect and where the price will stabilize. Same as a previous strategy I used except I'm waiting a few days longer before buying. I'll diversify a little more too.

Yes, my investment in HMNY has really paid off. Too bad I didn't buy it in real life!

Nevertheless, nice to see you back in the mix :).

... I'll diversify a little more too.

That's probably a good idea. I've heard that diversifying across 500 or more stocks works pretty well for a lot of people!

-ERD50

That's probably a good idea. I've heard that diversifying across 500 or more stocks works pretty well for a lot of people!

-ERD50

Yes but if you're looking for something better you have to do it differently. I'm OK with holding $500,000 in each of two stocks but my picks tend to have low volume so it's hard, plus the timespan of the contest is a factor.

Yes but if you're looking for something better you have to do it differently. ....
Well I won't argue tautology, I know my limits! ;)

Of course, doing something differently doesn't provide any rationale that different will be better. And the historical data indicates the odds are against it.

This little contest will not prove anything one way or the other (sample size too small), other than diversification reduces volatility (though sample size is still small, I do think the trend will be apparent enough to say something), but there shouldn't be any question of that anyhow.

-ERD50

Not 500! Maybe 20 or so?

In his first few decades much less than that. Sometimes only 5, with very uneven weights. I think at one point he was almost completely Geico.

And of course Berkshire Hathaway itself. As he says: "Too much of a good thing can be a great thing".

I was ready to buy CLF with a limit order based on the current price and I got shown the price for CL. Glad I caught it. In other news, Fermion is last again.

XdBqkXR.jpg

I made about $18,000 today with three trades, all winners. LINU, CLNS, and UTX. It's good to get back to trading like I used to, except the research is strictly for the contest and not for real life.

This is what I get for trying to buy an index fund. I tried twice to buy 1000 shares of IVV and 20 minutes later is says N/A.

Some kind of lag. I gave up trying then I discover it gave it to me.

Last edited:
This is what I get for trying to buy an index fund. I tried twice to buy 1000 shares of IVV and 20 minutes later is says N/A.

Some kind of lag. I gave up trying then I discover it gave it to me.

Why not SPY - it's got 20x the volume. Same basic thing, no? Maybe less lag with the higher volume?

-ERD50

Why not SPY - it's got 20x the volume. Same basic thing, no? Maybe less lag with the higher volume?

-ERD50

I don't remember. I once chose IVV in real life at Fidelity for some reason. I didn't re-assess the competing funds.

Back
Top Bottom