Suggestions for MaineCoast/Bar Harbor

September is great weather. Far fewer bugs. You get into foliage season in some of the higher elevations. No so great out on the water, as the North winds pick up and it can get rough. Sailors going South do get wisked along, though.

Biggest gotcha is that after the families with kids leave, the retired folks in campers take over. You think regular tourist traffic is bad? Try the same thing, only with geriatric drivers in big rigs! Stay away from the areas with lots of antique dealers along Route One if you want to get out with your sanity intact.

It can get pretty chilly at night. I'm here at almost sea level, and it's 60 degrees out as I write this. Probably cooler up in the mountains.

Just an FYI, any tips more than a few years old should be taken with a grain of salt.

I absolutely agree with this. Many of us are remembering what it was like ten years ago, and that changed a lot over the intervening years. Coastal traffic is generally pretty horrible in the tourist season.

Though some exploring is desirable, I’d be content to look at the scenery, eat the seafood, and wander some shops. Don’t really want to spend much time in a car...

Gumby's list is a very good one. You won't go wrong if you use this as part of your itinerary.

Driving to the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park to see the sunrise is a favorite. Within Acadia NP, go to see Jordan Pond and stop at the Jordan Pond House for lunch. The popovers are a must.

If you spend any time in Portland, a nice day trip is to take the ferry over to Peak's Island, rent bikes right down the street from the pier and ride your bike around the island. Pack a picnic lunch and stop on the rocks on the back side of the island and soak up the beautiful views of the Atlantic.

Portland Maine was just just named Bon Appetit's Restaurant City of the year. If you like good food, stop at any restaurant in the Old Port and you will get a fabulous meal by some of the best chefs in the country.

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/portland-maine-city-of-the-year-2018

The Portland Head Light (actually across the town line in Cape Elizabeth is the country's most photographed light house. It's a quick drive from Portland and has beautiful scenery. If you go there, a few more miles down the road and you can stop at The Lobster Shack for lunch which is a small little shack with epic views of the Atlantic.

The Lobster Shack – Open March 31st – October 28th 2018

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need other ideas.

rasberrycpa

Raspberry's got some good tips there. The ferry to Peak's is great. Make sure you make it to the far (ocean) side. There's a cool little cobble beach and good views. There's also a "mail boat" ferry itinerary which will take you all around Casco Bay, if you want to see more.

Drive to the far end of Harpswell Neck and check out Dolphin Marina and Restaurant. Great food, not overpriced, and incredible service.

As for traffic, it's been bizarrely light this holiday weekend. Even our favorite restaurant was half empty Friday night. The theory around here is that many schools started early this year. But it's a nice reprieve. The Maine Turnpike Authority was predicting record numbers.

When in Bar Harbor if you don't want to drive everywhere (Or pay for a car pass to get into Acadia) use the free shuttle. It's pretty good and it goes to all of the attractions in the Acadia and to other parts of Mount Desert Island that you may not have thought about going to.

Back
Top Bottom