Suggestions for things to see between Tulsa and Boise

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

I'm going to be driving from Tulsa to Boise next week with my 20DS via Denver and Salt Lake City.

Are there any interesting things to see along the way? Is there a web tool that makes suggestions based on driving routes or cities? I know about Trip Advisor, and I could check that. A quick Google suggests RoadTripper; I'll check that out as well.

He's a college student majoring in ME. I'm a retired firmware engineer and engineering manager.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rocky Mountain National Park and most anything in Colorado are on the way. Not too far off are Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.

In normal times I would advocate for Yellowstone and the Tetons. Recently I heard from a friend Yellowstone is closed due to Covid. Maybe RNP is as well. Of course, maybe these parks are closed from snow pack and the closure is getting hyped by the virus...? Just suggesting you double check before making plans.

That's a long drive and Dr google sends you through Kansas, Ft Collins and then up to I80 across Wyoming,,,in normal times I80 is bumper to bumper truck traffic in that area. For us, it's our least favorite road to drive on. Long stretches between towns and not many chances to stretch legs or take a break.

I suspect you will see a lot of wheat fields, cattle feedlots and such. To me that's a put your down get it done type of drive.

Fort Collins might be a good place to stop for the night and check things out. Of course that depends if you can get through Denver before rush hour traffic which is a nightmare.

Are you planning for several days I know a couple spots in Northern Utah if you are taking a longer type drive approach?

Rocky Mountain National Park and most anything in Colorado are on the way. Not too far off are Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.
RMNP is still closed.

A lot to see on this drive during normal times. But these are not normal times. As stated earlier, RMNP is closed. As is Arches, Canyonlands.

A lot to see on this drive during normal times. But these are not normal times. As stated earlier, RMNP is closed. As is Arches, Canyonlands.

Google wants to send him on I80, which takes out Moab and a lot of appealing scenery. And as you say not a lot open anyway...

A few years back I was unexpectedly impressed by Craters of the Moon National Monument just a short distance East of Boise. We didn't have time to stop at EBR-1, the first nuclear reactor. It might be interesting.

If you come across I-70 through Colorado, the road through Colorado National Monument is open. The visitor center is still closed.

Are you planning for several days I know a couple spots in Northern Utah if you are taking a longer type drive approach?

Current schedule is:

Day 1: Tulsa to hotel in Aurora, CO.
Day 2: Aurora to sister's in SLC.
Day 3: With sister's family in SLC.
Day 4: SLC to Boise.

On the "interesting times" aspect of things, I don't particularly mind the restrictions all that much, but I do not like the overhead of having to read up on what the situation is with the airline and what can or can't be done in each of the six or so states we're traveling through.

Thanks all for the suggestions - they're all good. Feel free to keep them coming!

Just googled the Hill AFB aircraft museum, unfortunately it is closed right now. It says to check back for updates. If it's open it a must see IMO.

I'm afraid you are going to run into a lot of closed signs..:(

Back
Top Bottom