Sun City Hilton Head (and other nearby communities)

TreyLagger

Dryer sheet wannabe
My wife and I sold our winter home in AZ recently and think we want to now spend winters in the Hilton Head area. We’ll probably wait a while before buying a place - hopefully letting the current sellers market cool down a little. We’d like to find a place in Sun City to rent for 4 months this winter but are open to other communities in the general area as well.

Couple of questions for those familiar with this area (we aren’t):

1. Impressions, thoughts, etc. about the Sun City HH community. We’re coming from an active adult community and really enjoyed it.

2. In the off chance that someone lives there now, do you know of any contacts for rental properties? We’ve reached out to several we found online but the responses (or lack of) have been very disappointing.

Thanks!
Paul

Hello there,

I live on Hilton Head Island in a non-retirement community. I know people who live/have lived in Sun City Hilton Head. They like it very much. Many, many activities. This should meet your need for an active senior community.

One thing I have to mention is that even though it is in the name, Sun City is not in Hilton Head. It is about 16 miles west of the island. It will take at least a half hour to get to the beach. Many communities are using the Hilton Head name without being really near the town limits.

Thanks PRSC. Yes, we’re aware that Sun City is not really part of Hilton Head. Half an hour to the ocean is plenty close for us!

Never heard of Bluffton until I found out it is near HH. Lots of Northern money bought into Bluffton real estate.

Last edited:
I live on Hilton Head Island in a non-retirement community. I know people who live/have lived in Sun City Hilton Head. They like it very much. Many, many activities. This should meet your need for an active senior community.

One thing I have to mention is that even though it is in the name, Sun City is not in Hilton Head. It is about 16 miles west of the island. It will take at least a half hour to get to the beach. Many communities are using the Hilton Head name without being really near the town limits.
I didn’t know but I didn’t think HHI would allow a Sun City on the island, 16 miles west makes more sense. We enjoy vacations on HHI.

In terms of hurricanes, flooding, no way I’d want to own a home on the island!

For me, Hilton Head doesn't have a warm enough winter climate. I like it from the mid 60s to the mid 70s. Hilton Head is probably ten degrees cooler.

My wife and I sold our winter home in AZ recently and think we want to now spend winters in the Hilton Head area. We’ll probably wait a while before buying a place - hopefully letting the current sellers market cool down a little. We’d like to find a place in Sun City to rent for 4 months this winter but are open to other communities in the general area as well.

Couple of questions for those familiar with this area (we aren’t):

1. Impressions, thoughts, etc. about the Sun City HH community. We’re coming from an active adult community and really enjoyed it.

2. In the off chance that someone lives there now, do you know of any contacts for rental properties? We’ve reached out to several we found online but the responses (or lack of) have been very disappointing.

Thanks!
Paul

We’ve vacationed on Hilton Head Island about 20 times and my brother retired to Sun City “Hilton Head” several years ago. After visiting him there several times, my impression is it’s the kind of place you either love or hate. My brother loves it, but my wife and I aren’t wild about it. Since you’re coming from an adult community, you might love it.

Renting first is a good idea. The most important thing to know is that Sun City ain’t Hilton Head despite the misleading name. Moreover, the traffic and hoards of people in Bluffton can be brutal.

We currently live on Hilton Head Island and there are MANY communities in the Hilton Head and Bluffton area. Sun City has over 250 clubs and over 800 people in their pickle ball club. There are 34,000 permanent residents on Hilton Head Island, and during the summer months the population grows to 340,000...so quite a few tourists ON the island. There are more permanent residents off the island but the tourists will spend time in Bluffton and nearby Savannah, so be prepared.
Renting for months may be tougher in the summer months (aka High Season) but can be easy to find during the off season. We owned rental property here for 11 years, I was the HOA President of a small (35 home) community for 8 years, and we just purchased our Forever Home 1 year ago...really LOVE it. We do spend time in the Dominican Republic and Key West during the colder months, but that is just us.
I would be glad to answer more specific questions if you want to message me or even talk on the phone if that would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom