Supplement Medicare plan questions

Davidhelp

Recycles dryer sheets
I signed up for Medicare in June and now have my Medicare card.
My next step is to get supplement Medicare plan but it is confusing.
I came across MediGAP + Medicare D / G which looks to be a good thing to get. See link below and choose say Hip Replacement and see the costs.

This site has a simulator of costs and was created by a guy who was frustrated like many.
https://getresponsible.io

When I was working I had Anthem PPO and Aetna Dental PPO
Same for COBRA afterward.

Questions: Any suggestions on plans?
1) Anyone have MediGAP + Medicare D / G?
2) Would it be better to call the providers and ask questions?
3) What questions should be asked?
4) What about all the other Medigap plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, N ?
5) Is there some plan that includes everything?
I read this: Medicare Supplement Plan G is the most comprehensive Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan available for those new to Medicare.
https://www.medicarefaq.com/medicare-supplements

I have many webpages open to different Medicare and supplemental plans and descriptions of what they do. Confusing me.... : )
The same providers have several plans with different price points.

Last edited:
The most comprehensive Medicare Supplement plan available to people now is G. I have plan G. FWIW, I have the AARP United Healthcare plan.

Here is the Medicare description of what each plan covers. Personally, I wanted as much coverage as possible. I have to pay my deductible each year and after that I don't owe anything else on what Medicare covers. I like that I don't have to worry about it. For those that can afford Plan G I think it provides the most peace of mind. Also, as you get older not having to deal with what a plan covers or doesn't is very nice. When my mother was in her 90s and dealing wih a lot of medical stuff, much of which was confusing to her, it was very nice that had Plan G so didn't have to worry about her supplement plan. In most states you can't change a Medicare Supplement Plan later unless you can pass underwriting. So you need to make the right choice. Another reason to get the most comprehensive coverage. What state are you in?

In addition to your Medicare Supplement Plan (Medigap), you will need a Part D plan. Part D plans cover prescription drugs. Basically you look a the cost of the plans (many are inexpensive) and look up how much any medication you take will cost you under the plan and choose a plan. Unlike a Medicare Supplement Plan you can change your Part D plan each year at open enrollment.

Some people use an insurance agent to help them with their options. Some people here have reported they used Boomer Benefits. I did not use an agent so have no personal experience with them.

Thanks,
Questions:
Go to Medicare to sign up for D?
Then the Medicare Supplement Plan (Medigap) you choose should have G?

In most states you can't change a Medicare Supplement Plan later unless you can pass underwriting. So you need to make the right choice. Another reason to get the most comprehensive coverage. What state are you in?

...Some people use an insurance agent to help them with their options. Some people here have reported they used Boomer Benefits. I did not use an agent so have no personal experience with them.
The OP's profile indicates he lives in California, which has a "Birthday Rule" where you can switch to another Medigap plan with equal or lessor benefits annually without medical underwriting. State Farm and USAA usually have the lowest Plan G rates in CA but may not be available through independent brokers.

I was going to mention to the OP that he should understand the sick duck pool problem and the different pricing models, but does the birthday rule prevent the sick duck pool problem?

I am in California. I am on Plan G for the 3rd year now.

First, go to California Insurance dept Medigap list.
https://interactive.web.insurance.ca.gov/apex_extprd/f?p=111:31:::NO:SESSION

Search by your zip code. You will see a list of all Medigap plans available to you. Then find one with the cheapest price. Call these 2 agents:

Senior Savings Network: 800-729-9590
Boomer Benefits: 855-732-9055

They both have their youtube channels. Do a search, and watch many of them to understand Medigap plans.

When I called them 3 years ago, Boomer Benefits could not sign me up with the cheapest plan because they do not have license to sign me up with that company, so I called Senior Savings Network and they could.

Every year before my birthday, I checked California insurance dept list and called both agencies to switch me to another cheapest plan. Actually once you know the cheap plan, you can call the insurance company directly to sign up.

I went with N as the premiums were cheaper and I do not go to the doc enough that the $20 or so fee will get me to the G rate...

Just went thru this myself. Couple of other things to check is:

History of the annual plan g price increases for companies you are interested in. Sounds like you can always change to lower cost companies in CA though.

Some companies offer other benefits for selecting them for your supplement plan. For example, AARP/UHC offers free gym memberships, discounts for vision, dental, and hearing care. You will need to evaluate costs of these plans to those that don't offer any extra benefits.

Don't forget to check out Kaisers Medicare Advantage Plans which are all inclusive if you would consider an HMO Plan.
I currently have Kaiser and love it because everything is one place and I'm not going all over town to get various tests etc but I understand it's not for everyone. They are incredibly efficient at my location and my appointments are always on time.
This will also be my first year on Medicare so I'm going to try the Advantage plan at least for the first year and see how it goes. In California we can change plans every year so I'm not locked in forever.

Just went thru this myself. Couple of other things to check is:

History of the annual plan g price increases for companies you are interested in. Sounds like you can always change to lower cost companies in CA though.

Some companies offer other benefits for selecting them for your supplement plan. For example, AARP/UHC offers free gym memberships, discounts for vision, dental, and hearing care. You will need to evaluate costs of these plans to those that don't offer any extra benefits.

Yes they are offered, but not for free... my plan with no extras was a lot less than the plan with the extras... it was cheaper for me to pay them on my own so I went without the 'free' services...

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

I will be spending time looking at plans.

Question: I signed up for Medicare A & B but not D
Can I add this now or do I have to wait?

You can sign up for a Part D drug plan as soon as you get your Medicare ID number. If you wait to sign up for Part D beyond your initial Medicare sign-up period, you will have a penalty added onto Part D forever. The penalty gets worse every month one delays beyond the end of the initial sign-up period.

This will also be my first year on Medicare so I'm going to try the Advantage plan at least for the first year and see how it goes. In California we can change plans every year so I'm not locked in forever.

Everyone turning 65 gets an MA "trial right" where they can test drive an Advantage plan for up to 12 months. If they don't like it, they still get to choose any Medigap plan without underwriting. If you are referring to California's "Medigap Birthday Rule", it only applies to switching between Medigap plans annually. If you keep the MA plan more than 12 months, you have to pass Medigap underwriting unless you qualify under a special event like moving out of the MA plan's benefit service area.

Last edited:
You can learn all about it, or you can call https://boomerbenefits.com/ and let them walk you through it for free. You don’t have to buy from them, but there’s no reason not to that I know of.

From the above others can’t tell if you’re asking about Medicare Part D drug plan or a Medicare Plan D/G supplement.

I was going to mention to the OP that he should understand the sick duck pool problem and the different pricing models, but does the birthday rule prevent the sick duck pool problem?

Re: the sick duck pool and insurance companies closing the books on certain medigap policies as the cohort ages

I've only read about this concept in newsgroups. Is this really a thing? Are there any information about this process outside of newsgroups?

I am a volunteer SHIP counselor and would like to be able to reference something other than newsgroup posts when explaining this situation to a beneficiary.

I have seen very expensive medigap policies for individuals in their 70s and 80s that are much more expensive than what a new enrollee of the same age would pay for a new policy. The sick pool situation would be a viable explanation.

Re: the sick duck pool and insurance companies closing the books on certain medigap policies as the cohort ages

I've only read about this concept in newsgroups. Is this really a thing? Are there any information about this process outside of newsgroups?
Mutual of Omaha is the worst at closing an old book and opening a new one.

We are pleased to announce you can begin selling our new competitively priced Medicare supplement plans in New Hampshire. Plans A, F, G, High Deductible G and N are available for sale effective June 1, 2023.

The United World Life Insurance Company Medicare supplement applications for New Hampshire will be available on the e-App June 1, 2023. Mutual of Omaha applications signed by July 1, 2023, and received in the home office on or before July 1, will be processed and provided prior coverage. Old company applications for New Hampshire with a signed date of July 2, 2023, and later will not be processed. No exceptions will be made. A new application would be required to apply for coverage.

Reference: https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/exp...w-medicare-supplement-plans-in-new-hampshire/
We are pleased to announce you can begin selling our new competitively priced Medicare supplement plans in Rhode Island and Tennessee. Plans A, F, G, High Deductible G and N are available for sale effective May 11, 2023.

The United of Omaha Life Insurance Company Medicare supplement application for Rhode Island and the Omaha Supplemental Insurance Company application for Tennessee will be available on the e-App May 11, 2023.

For Rhode Island, Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company applications signed by June 11, 2023, and received in the home office on or before June 11, will be processed and provided prior coverage. For Tennessee, United World Life Insurance Company applications signed by June 11, 2023, and received in the home office on or before June 11, will be processed and provided prior coverage. Old company applications for both Rhode Island and Tennessee with a signed date of June 12, 2023, and later will not be processed. No exceptions will be made. A new application would be required to apply for coverage.

Reference: https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/exp...pplement-plans-in-rhode-island-and-tennessee/
We are pleased to announce you can begin selling our new competitively priced Medicare supplement plans in Ohio. Plans A, F, G, High Deductible G and N are available for sale effective April 20, 2023.

The Omaha Supplemental Insurance Company Medicare supplement applications for Ohio will be available on the e-App April 20, 2023. Mutual of Omaha applications signed by May 20, 2023 and received in the home office on or before May 20, will be processed and provided prior coverage. Old company applications Ohio with a signed date of May 21, 2023 and later will not be processed. No exceptions will be made. A new application would be required to apply for coverage.

Reference: https://blogs.mutualofomaha.com/express/index.php/2023/04/03/new-medicare-supplement-plans-in-ohio/

Keep in mind that Medigap plans don’t cover dental. If you want that too you’ll need to buy a separate plan as well.

Yes they are offered, but not for free... my plan with no extras was a lot less than the plan with the extras... it was cheaper for me to pay them on my own so I went without the 'free' services...

My free services save me about $300 a month.

Gym membership
Pilates classes
Stretchlab

And I don’t use Orangetheory and some other stuff they offer.

My free services save me about $300 a month.

Gym membership
Pilates classes
Stretchlab

And I don’t use Orangetheory and some other stuff they offer.

My gym is $11 a month including the taxes... classes are free... but they do not have stretch or pilates... they do have zumba, weight, step and others... the boxing and something else cost extra...

AND.... none of this was 'free'... the AARP plan charged more per month to offer these benefits...

Anybody charging $300 a month for those services here would be out of business really quick...

Found a plan - Any good?

I found this plan at the medicare.gov site. It looks good. It includes dental and drug prescriptions and medical. I currently have no prescriptions and am in pretty good health.
I do not have a primary doctor and this is a PPO plan so I should be able to pick one later. I do have a dentist I go to a few times a year. For $87 a month and the Medicare Part B of $164.90 it is far cheaper then what I was paying when I was working let alone the Cobra cost of over $800 a month.

Is it a good plan?

See attached Word doc. for more details.

Aetna Medicare | Plan ID: H5521-125-0
3.5 stars
Monthly Premium
$87.00

Includes: Health & drug coverage

Doesn't include: $164.90 Standard Part B premium
Total Drug & Premium Cost (for the rest of 2023)
$435.00
Only includes premiums for the months left in this year when you don't enter any drugs
Other Costs
$750 annual deductible
$0.00
$8,950 In and Out-of-network
$5,500 In-network

Attachments

• Aetna Medicare Choice Plan1.doc
    94 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I know you're determined to go it alone, even though boomerbenefits would guide you through this FOR FREE at no obligation, but $23.80/month for supplemental health care is ridiculously low (and therefore won't be much of a benefit) and $63.20/month for drug premiums is ridiculously high IME. While there are certainly variances in premiums v benefits, you get what you pay for by and large. Best of luck...

Last edited:
I went with N as the premiums were cheaper and I do not go to the doc enough that the $20 or so fee will get me to the G rate...

My hubby has been on Plan N for 9 years. It's worked great. He will be 74 this year and he pays $181 per month in Central FL for AARP United Healthcare Plan N supplement. The $20 doctor visit co-pay (or the lesser of 20% of the charge which is actually $18.18 for a visit to his primary care doc) is well-worth the reduction in premium.

He might only go to the doctor 1 or 2 times per year so it's not a huge burden.

We use Plan N and are happy with it. The up to $20 copay is not a problem and we’re seeing the Plan G increase a little faster, so over time Plan N looks to be a better choice.
We use Aetna for our Part D prescription plans and are happy. DW only pays $5/month for her plan. I have a lot of prescriptions, so I get the no deductible plan at about $70/month, but it is worth it for me. Most prescriptions have no coinsurance and those that do cost me very little. The money it saves me on my asthma medications is worth it.
Don’t get lured into a Medicare Advantage plan. Coverage is not as comprehensive as a Medicare Supplement and you have to deal with insurance companies to get approval for procedures or surgeries. Some won’t cover certain cancer drugs and you may find yourself paying much more out of pocket than you expected.

Back
Top Bottom