Surprising reactions when DW says I retired

DW and I really spend little time with each other. We sleep 8 hours a day, DW works 10 hours a day, subtract time for commute, showers, cooking, doing the dishes, etc... and we are lucky to have 2 hours a day of quality time together..

Well, I think I see where maybe you could squeeze in another 10-120 minutes of quality time together by engaging in one of the above activities as a couple.

DW and I were lucky to take a year off together circa 2007. After that I went part time and she returned to work. Last year I retired (age 50) and she went part time (age 48) and at this point it is a year to year proposition for her. She can retire when she is ready and willing. I have known many different couples, and time together is often a measured and imperfect thing. What works for us would be disaster for others. To each his/her own.

What works for us would be disaster for others. To each his/her own.

That's what many of us have been saying, yet some posters seem to be/get defensive about the issue nonetheless.
Dunno.gif

If both partners are happy, it doesn't -- and shouldn't -- make any difference to anyone else, but as the saying goes... "SOME PEOPLE have NOTHING... BETTER... to DO..." :rolleyes: :D

Tyro

I love DW, but I have my own friends and activities that I like to do with others, and she does too. For example she meets her buddies for walk/run and coffee every Sat morning - I'd rather a sharp stick in the eye than to sit through that with them, but she loves it and that's all that matters. Besides she usually brings me home an almond croissant, what's not to like?

We don't like to be apart overnight, but during the day some days by all means. I think it's best if both of us have our own lives & identities apart from each other as well as together. YMMV

+1. DH and I are the same. We each have our own hobbies and we have 'together' hobbies. Some days we do things together, some days we don't. He can get his fill of Mickey Mouse rather quickly - I can go to Disney 4x a month every month. Sometimes I go alone and people watch as I do my favorite silly things ("It's a Small World" 5x in a row is common !). Many days we go out fishing together and we have a great time.

Not sure what it will be like when we are both retired, but I don't expect much to change. There will be activities that are "His, Mine and Ours".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom