Switchcovers and Wallplates

In a similar vein have you all been tempted to upgrade the color or style of interior door knobs, hinges, strike plates, etc. I have been contemplating that much more so than changing electrical outlets, switches, and covers. But it is a lot more work and then calls into question upgrading even more items.

Yes. A year or 2 ago I decided I was sick of brass hardware. So changed all my door knobs , hinges ,strike plates etc to brushed nickel. Much better.:)

Wallpaper

Bought current house from original owner. Built in 1951. Some switches and plates were wallpapered to match. They also wallpapered the bathroom ceiling, garbage cans, inside closets, etc... Anyway, replaced most of them except for this room - stripped wallpaper and painted dark green. We kept the plate because it looks kinda cool and it's a reminder of all the work we did!

Attachments

• 0234A213-AE04-439E-B705-2A0EA8C7F284.jpg
    0234A213-AE04-439E-B705-2A0EA8C7F284.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Yes. A year or 2 ago I decided I was sick of brass hardware. So changed all my door knobs , hinges ,strike plates etc to brushed nickel. Much better.:)
Sounds like my situation, except the original hardware remains.:D I had never been bothered by the brass door hardware until replacing bathroom faucets and realizing how coordinated the whole house had been. I like the look of antique brass against stained wood, but dislike it for interior painted doors.

We do. House built in 1857. I don't know when it was electrified, but it once had knob and tube wiring. The posts are still in the cellar.

We had knob and tube wiring in a former house that was built in the 1920s.

Anybody's house old enough that it still has push button switches?

Mine did when I bought it.

It also had an Edison base "outlet" on the wall. I guess you could screw in a light bulb and stick a lamp shade on it.

Black bakelite with flip switches, Push bottons for on/off, small plastic rocker switches, large plastic rocker switches, slide dimmers with tiny on/off rocker switches at the bottom, push button round dimmer switches, 5 parallel horizontal switches where the high ones run the heat light or exhaust fans for longer. Brass. Silver. White, Ivory., Grey. Plates with screws or snap-on.

Yes we have moved a lot.

When we did our major remodel we agonized over many things, switchcovers and wallplates not being one of them. We are still happy with our beige(ish) white plastic covers/plates. One thing I like about this forum is the interesting discussions over topics I never ever considered:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom