Switching Social Security

Jarhead* said:
ReWahoo: You're going to have to do a better job in screening out potential laggards in this group. ;) (Hope old Sundance follows up on this, or we'll never know.) ;)

Sundance, lighten up, that's what the smileys were for. ::) :D ;)

Sundance, you are going to have to forgive Jarhead for his occasional conduct on the forum. I suspect he was drunk last night when he posted that remark…not from imbibing alcohol, but from the success of the Kings in evening up the series with the Spurs. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Sundance, you are going to have to forgive Jarhead for his occasional conduct on the forum.  I suspect he was drunk last night when he posted that remark…not from imbibing alcohol, but from the success of the Kings in evening up the series with the Spurs. ;)
You would bring the Kings up.... Grrrrr! Oh well, if they should beat the Spurs, the Mavericks cruise to the Finals. No wagers, pluheeeese.

Jarhead, you don't drink, do you? I mean, you can't sink one in the hole if you're in the tank! :)

Eagle43 said:
You would bring the Kings up.... Grrrrr!  Oh well, if they should beat the Spurs, the Mavericks cruise to the Finals. No wagers, pluheeeese.

Jarhead, you don't drink, do you? I mean, you can't sink one in the hole if you're in the tank!   :)

Eagle43:  Going into the playoffs, (considering the records of both clubs), the only thing I asked of the Kings, is at least keep it interesting. ;)

After the first nights drubbing of the Kings, I have to admit, that didn't appear likely. ;)

The last 3 games haven't disappointed.

Regarding drinking: The days of sitting out on the patio, and pounding down beers during half-time, and after the game, with my "Buds", has been over for a long, long, time. ;)

I did fix my wife and I a Gin and Tonic after the game last night. :D

Just keep it entertaining, for the next few games is all I ask.

Jarhead* said:
Regarding drinking: The days of sitting out on the patio, and pounding down beers during half-time, and after the game, with my "Buds", has been over for a long, long, time. ;)

I did fix my wife and I a Gin and Tonic after the game last night. :D

Just keep it entertaining, is all I ask.

You don't play the 19th hole? :eek:  That's my favorite hole on the course!  :D

Ok,

Here is the response i got back from Ray's team.  I'm a bit suprised I got a response. 

job

We have talked about it from time to time. If a person takes their social security benefit prior to Normal Retirement Age (NRA), the benefit is reduced for the rest of the recipient’s life.  For most people, the discount for taking the benefit at age 62 is between 20% and 30%.  If someone starts taking the benefit early, the Social Security Administration (SSA) does allow a person to pay back all the money they have received and “Re-Set” the benefit to the new age as if that was the original starting date.  The SSA does not require you to pay it back with interest, just the cumulative amount received.

The person it works for is someone who expects to live into their 80’s and can afford to pay back the cumulative payments.  To do this you would have to contact the SSA and ask for the appropriate forms.  Then the SSA would have to accept the repayment.

Rick Plum, CFP

"The Professor"
Director of Financial Planning
The Raymond J. Lucia Companies, Inc.

A reader of the Andrew Tobias financial column on 4/10/06 contributed this:

"Collect benefits at age 62, but at age 65, withdraw the Social Security claim, pay back all Social Security benefits received, and resubmit a claim for maximum benefits.
I chose that second option. Worked real well for me, especially the income tax deduction I got for Social Security income I had paid taxes on in prior years. This amount went straight to ‘miscellaneous adjustments’ on the Itemized Deduction sheet.”

The tax treatment was not further verified or discussed, but indicates at least one way someone handled it. AndrewTobias.com has archives in case anyone wants more context.
Poocher

Back
Top Bottom