Symptoms of Stress?

I think there's a point here that's valid, but, A) BMI as a medical tool is way overused and often way off base. It doesn't account for muscle or frame or the individual, and is overused as a reason to NOT look at other factors. Doctors miss cancer symptoms because, eh, just lose some weight you'll be fine...

but, also...

B) Many average people think they are above average. It is very common to overestimate and be overconfident in one's physical health and ability. Reverse body-dysmorphia, if you will.

No doubt and point A is important. I had to deal with physical fitness testing in the Air Force and one of the metrics they used was waist circumference. It didn't matter if you were 4'9" or 6'10"...if you exceeded a certain measurement (I think it was 39 or 40") then you failed. So, with that kind of restriction, there were very few NFL linebackers who would pass the physical fitness standard of the USAF. As I understand, this has been modified to account for the absurdity of this metric as an "instant" failure.

Nonetheless, the OP should still look at this baseline as just that...further tests/evaluation is probably prudent.

The human animal has a built in fight or flight system... Tiger or Bear stalking and BOOM... you go into overdrive.... That system still there, Your heart rate goes up, breathing increases, blood flow to the large muscles increases, GI tract shuts down. Your getting ready to fight or run....But there is no no tiger or bear... its a reaction to stress... a perceived fear.. And yes it can cause all kinds of symptoms... Chest discomforts, the tingling in face and hands, even passing out... And of course... your anxious, stressed, start feeling symptoms, you worry about whats going on... BINGO... more stress and symptoms can get worse...
I will suggest you do some reading up on Anxiety and Panic Attacks... Although Its your mind causing the issues, The symptoms are real, and can lead to problems.
Don't avoid medical evaluation if you think you need to...
Defiantly follow up with your Family Dr, bring a copy of your hospital medical record for him to review and he may want you to follow up with a cardiologist.
Aspirin, one a day or every other wont hurt... I personally would not take the meds unless your cholesterol out of control... which appears its not...
Of course this is just my opinion coming from 35 years as a paramedic, and a few ER trips for stress induced issues...
Dont ya love the treadmill run... I think they actually are trying to give you a heart attack...
Best of luck to ya.
Thank you for the response. I have been looking into the breathing exercises and the few times I’ve tried them, seemed to have a positive affect, which leads me to believe further, that is was all stress induced.
Yes, the treadmill test was interesting. Especially since they didn’t tell me it was going to be on the treadmill and I showed up in hospital socks, gown, boxers and attached to a Heparin IV drip. I ended up bleeding from the IV and after the test, started dripping on the bench, HM wires and floor. They weren’t happy, since they were now all contaminated with my nuclear blood.

I think either way, the OP should follow up with a good cardiologist, and his PCP, for a battery of tests, and then have follow ups every few months for the next couple of years. It could be nothing, it could be something.

This reminds me to renew search for a good cardio doc. Don't care for mine, and don't really need him now, I just have some extra heartbeats, genetic. But I know I don't want him to be in my care team if I'm ever in a pinch. Get a team you trust.
This is a great reminder for everyone that your Dr.s work for you and if you aren’t happy, you should “fire them” and find someone you’re comfortable with.

I think BMI is an excellent first/high level health metric. It’s not something to be calculated to the third decimal point. It’s a go/no-go indicator. You are fat, or you are not.

People are in denial they are fat.

People who are fat, generally need to eat less and exercise more. Then re-assess their health statistics.

I really don’t think it is that cut and dry. Body composition needs to taking into account when using the BMI. Am I overweight according to he index, absolutely. Would anyone who knows me consider me fat, absolutely not.
This being said, I think anyone who has a larger body composition, who is fit, is still at a higher risk of potential medical issues.

Years ago I had chest pains (in my early to mid 40's I think) and went to my doctor about it. He told me that I was burning the candle at both ends. He told me to figure out a way to reduce my stress and get some exercise. I learned meditation and started going to the gym, cut back my schedule and started looking harder at retiring early. Stress is terrible for your health! Retirement is good for your stress level [emoji16].

Years ago I had chest pains (in my early to mid 40's I think) and went to my doctor about it. He told me that I was burning the candle at both ends. He told me to figure out a way to reduce my stress and get some exercise. I learned meditation and started going to the gym, cut back my schedule and started looking harder at retiring early. Stress is terrible for your health! Retirement is good for your stress level [emoji16].

I definitely understand the concept of burning the candle at both ends. I’ve done it most of my life. I usually exercise pretty regularly, but have been on a 2/3 month hiatus. Time to get moving again. I’m glad your lifestyle change helped you and congrats on ER.

This past Wednesday I began having a strange burning sensation in the left center of my chest. Shortly after, I felt a numbing/tingling feeling around my left cheek bone. So I do what anyone would do with access to a computer, I Google stroke/angina/heart attack symptoms. Around this point, I break out in a sweat. Another symptom or is it a reaction to looking at the symptoms. I really don’t know at this point. I tell DW and she says “Let’s go” we’re off to the hospital.

A little back story. I’ll be 51 in Nov. Up until 2 moths ago (my DFIL passed) I was exercising 6 days a week, so I am pretty fit. DW and I own a small business together and hope to ER in 2024.

So we get to the hospital and they treat it like a heart attack until tests prove otherwise. They admit me for observation and over the next 2 days, conduct a series of EKGs, Blood Work, an Echocardiogram and stress test. By Friday night, all of the tests say I am healthy, it was not a Heart attack and I did the treadmill stress test better than some 20 year olds that they have had. I get discharged with a prescription for aspirin and atorvastatin, which if you don’t know, is a generic form of Lipitor, a cholesterol medication and instructions to F/U with the cardiologist and my Primary Dr. I asked the discharging nurse, why am I getting the prescriptions since all of my blood work came back fine. She replied that it was standard for people admitted for heart issues.

So, I have no idea what caused the symptoms and after the barrage of tests, I know I’m at least heart healthy.

Has anyone had a similar experience or heard of something along ness lines happening to other people. I know stress can be a serious issue. I’m a pretty low key type of guy and it takes a lot to get me worked up, but between my FIL’s passing, the business, projects at home, and probably 10 other things that go through my head daily, I probably have been experiencing more stress than normal.

Just as a side note, I will do another post on my misadventures during this stay and being your own advocate.

Sounds similar to what I had due to stress. Da Costa's syndrome. https://psychology.wikia.org/wiki/Da_Costa's_syndrome

Stress: The barely controllable urge to choke the living s*it out of someone who desperetaly deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom