Table Radio

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Can anybody recommend a modern table radio that I can use to replace by wonderful but aging Tivoli?

I would like the following in it:

AF/FM
Digital tuning by the station number
blue tooth ability
Descent sound (ie. not tinny, but no need for more than on good speaker)

Thanks.

Can anybody recommend a modern table radio that I can use to replace by wonderful but aging Tivoli? ...
What problem are you trying to solve? My first thought would be to just buy another copy on eBay. IIRC Henry Kloss designed more than one table radio, too. Maybe one of those?

Another Tivoli has occurred to me. But I am also curious as to what others think of their table radios assuming they own one.

blue tooth ability

Can you be more specific? Do you want it to act like a bluetooth speaker? Or, do you want it to pair with higher quality, bluetooth speakers?

The devil is in the details.

Here's one for $25.77 that *may* do what you want, and it may not be what you are looking for at all.

Last edited:
Can you be more specific? Do you want it to act like a bluetooth speaker? Or, do you want it to pair with higher quality, bluetooth speakers?

The devil is in the details.

Here's one for $25.77 that *may* do what you want, and it may not be what you are looking for at all.

It would be nice if it acted like a Blue Tooth speaker.

I’m hesitant to say this, since it doesn’t meet your criteria, but I would get (and have) a Sonos One speaker. It sounds and works great.

I can get any content to it that I want using the Sonos app, including radio stations.

You can play anything you want through any Bluetooth enabled speaker. There are plenty of radio apps. We use our Sonos sound bar in the house and a weather resistant JBL outside.

I’m hesitant to say this, since it doesn’t meet your criteria, but I would get (and have) a Sonos One speaker. It sounds and works great.

I can get any content to it that I want using the Sonos app, including radio stations.

I agree. Have the Arc sound bar for TV as well, really like. Had to upgrade all a couple of years ago to 2nd gen; the previous soundbar crapped out but they cut a good deal on replacing all. Couldn't really mix the two.

Funny story. I wanted a Roam, basically battery operated small portable unit that works off Sonos or can bluetooth connect to others. Ordered about 2 weeks ago. Got 4 confirming emails in a row. Few days later find FOUR on my porch. Scratch head, think maybe I pushed the button in a frenzy. Figure it out later. Next day TWO MORE show up!. Go to credit card site and it still shows the price of ONE in the pending file. Try to call them, 60 minute wait...nope. Next day get super apologetic email from VP of IT saying they had a mess up in system. Will send return shipping labels for excess of customer's orders and will credit over charge (which they apparently killed on my account as it got posted for one only.) So now I have 5 unordered, unpaid for Roams sitting in my shop awaiting labels. If I was dishonest I'd keep one or two extra, neat little units. My only question is who at Sonos is polishing up the ol resume? Apparently it was much larger than just me.

Not exactly what you requested, versatile enough to consider?

Radio Garden or similar app - bluetooth input to Aiyima T9

Many input options...digital/analog/bluetooth laptop/TV/Youtube/cell

Aiyima T9: $129 Pre amp & amp.
https://www.amazon.com/AIYIMA-Bluetooth-Amplifier-Channel-Digital/dp/B09MLPC8X3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9J3Y8WQL71CZ&keywords=aiyima+t9&qid=1655325064&sprefix=aiyima+t9%2Caps%2C394&sr=8-3

NEUMI BS5 $109 make you smile affordable sound and the front ports make speaker placement easier/less finicky.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZDS9LF/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=cheapaudioman-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07YZDS9LF&linkId=c8c69519de4f61f8ca87701940d1095c

... but sometimes you just want to spin the tuning dial.

We have an under kitchen cabinet radio that also plays CD and has an input jack.
Bluetooth, what? No. We like it but I guess it is obsolete.

We have an obsolete radio in the kitchen to listen to my favorite station while cooking.

Also have a wifi enabled speaker, so it can play anything via my phone. I love it as I can tell it to play spotify and then literally turn off my phone and the speaker keeps on playing. It uses a google chromecast audio dongle. I'm glad I bought 2 as they stopped making them.

Depending on what you listen to, I spent a fair amount of time trying to replace several tabletop radios which finally had worn out. I finally ended up going with Alexa type devices, they have greatly increased my listening options, perhaps at the cost of a slight degradation in sound quality. Of course my hearing ain't what it use to be.

I have a couple old-style radios in the house. One is in my basement workshop, and here's what I like about it:

I have it plugged into the switched outlet with the lights. When I turn on the lights, the radio comes on, instantly, to the last station I had it set to, at the same volume.

It just seems most modern streaming solutions need to boot up, and may require some interaction before they start playing. Maybe some streaming boxes work more like my old radio, I don't know? But if I want to use my tablet or phone as a radio, it involves a lot of clicking selecting to get it started.

-ERD50

I hit the play button on top of the Sonos One and it plays the last radio station that was streamed.

I bought a digital FM radio receiver from Radio Shack years ago. The problem is radio sucks and is loaded with commercials so I hardly even turn it on.

I have a couple old-style radios in the house. One is in my basement workshop, and here's what I like about it:

I have it plugged into the switched outlet with the lights. When I turn on the lights, the radio comes on, instantly, to the last station I had it set to, at the same volume.

It just seems most modern streaming solutions need to boot up, and may require some interaction before they start playing. Maybe some streaming boxes work more like my old radio, I don't know? But if I want to use my tablet or phone as a radio, it involves a lot of clicking selecting to get it started.

-ERD50

There is a lot to be said about old school products that do what they are intended to do and that's all. Simplicity has it's benefits. I have a digital alarm clock radio in my garage that I bought at Goodwill. I have to press a button to turn on and off. (sometimes I like the quiet) I have 2 programmed stations, one AM and one FM. I would be lost without it.

P.S. This week, I had to spray the volume knob (remember those?) with WD-40 to reduce the scratchy control.

I

-ERD50

+1

I find having to open the app, wait for it to launch and then work my way through it requires a lot more thought than simply punching in a number like 97.5 on the FM dial.

The problem with my Tivo is that the old fashioned dial tuner has a lot of crackle and static in it, and the number marked on it are imprecise, so tuning in any station is a chore. I thought to 'clean' the tuner out but it's in a sealed metal box of some sort and not easily accessible. So, again, I waste time tuning it just right so the statipon won't drift away over time. And then it drifts anyway.

Last edited:
I picket up a Sony ZS - RS 60BT for about $69 (new) a few weeks ago on special.

It has a radio, CD, USB, and BT interface. Its pretty compact and has great sound quality. I can stream audio from Amazon Music and other sites via my phone. The radio works well but I like streaming music from a USB sick with MP3 or through the BT interface paired with my phone. It also plays regular CDs as well as MP3 files written onto a CD.

Back
Top Bottom