takata airbag check

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else get one? It is from a car that was totaled several years ago. I will have to verify if legit. $72.
Edited to add - is this "taxable income"?

Last edited:
We got one, I think it was $68. For a car I gave to my son two years ago.

I really don't get why car owners are getting them - dealers/manufacturers replaced those airbags on recalls, shouldn't they get the money? Maybe that is another part of the settlement.

^Could be compensation for the fear the owner felt driving around in a car with a potentially dangerous airbag in it. That's a separate issue from the cost of remediating the cars to have a safe airbag in it, which as you point out probably was done by dealers via recalls.

I would contact the bank on the check to verify if legit or not. The bank should know if they are cutting the check or if the check is some kind of scam.

Anyone else get one? It is from a car that was totaled several years ago. I will have to verify if legit. $72.

Probably not if it's compensation for pain and suffering. Check the language of the settlement against the IRS definition of taxable income, but usually insurance payments and reimbursements are not taxable income.

As far as the check being legit, there is a well known problem with Takata airbags and I'm pretty sure there is at least one class action lawsuit about it. If you owned the car they say you did, and it did have a Takata airbag in it (easy enough to check via Google), then I'd be inclined to think the check was legit.

It does list a VIN that matches old car. I think it was wrecked (not my fault) before the recall. Don't remember. Makes me wonder if current car has the same airbag . . . I will look for a recall on it. I am good about such things normally so I don't think so.

Last edited:
$151.88 last week for a long gone Mazda RX-8. What would be the point of sending out bogus checks unless the sender was buying something from the recipient?

Edit: If there's no 1099 at the end of the year, it's not taxable income on our return at least.

I think it is a "residual distribution" whatever that is. IDK. I always figued the only people who made money in class actions were lawyers. Even if this is not exactly big $.

Last edited:
I would honestly rather they sent it in toilet paper right about now. . . But you know I'd take paper towels, food, etc. Store near me still woefully empty for anything I seem to want anyway.

Last edited:

did you file for and enumerate specific damages?

Just got a Residual Distribution Payment of $97 from the Takata Airbag Settlement. The explanation that came with the check says "...As described in Sectin III.E.1 of the Honda Settlement Agreement, if funds remain after all Outreach Program and out-of-pocket expense payments for any particular program year have been made. Class Members may receive Residual Distribution payments..."

Yes, I got one for my Honda. I already deposited it at my bank. My second payment--first was several years ago.

I got 2 checks last week - about $80 each. I do remember that I already got some payment a couple of eyars ago, but I have no recollection as to which of my cars these pertain to. I'm pretty sure that I no longer own them. Anyway, just deposited the checks. Case closed - I guess....:cool:

As much as IRS wants our money - what with all the thousands of new agents - I'm guessing it's taxable and you should probably declare it. Of course, if you don't get a 1099...:angel:

Feeling unlucky as I did not get a 2nd one as yet. :(

As much as IRS wants our money - what with all the thousands of new agents - I'm guessing it's taxable and you should probably declare it. Of course, if you don't get a 1099...:angel:

I know you are joking, but to be clear rebates and damages are not generally taxable.

I did not get a 2nd check but I found an email address and contacted them several weeks ago. They finally replied it was mailed but never cashed. I asked for another but doubt it is likely to do anything. I get so little mail I'm sure it was not thrown out by mistake. We don't get mail at our houses here, so guessing a neighbor got it and threw it out.

Last edited:
Got my 2nd check today! $97

Thank you so much FIREd_2015 for bringing it up as my April check was lost and I would not have known to pursue it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom