Taking a baby step to FIRE

HFWR

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay, not so dramatic, but I'm on a part-time schedule these days, due to the vagaries of grant money, or lack of same. So I discussed my plans with my boss, and told him I'll give him one more year. So, 2015, here I come. :dance:

The first step: today I actually withdrew money from my 401k. First time ever, but a lowly 2% WR to help augment the half-a-paycheck. Woohoo!

For a nickel, I think I'd just retire right now, but one more year on the pension is worth about $900 extra per year for life, and it gets me one year closer to early SS...

So, you will spend only 1/2 the time on ER forum instead of full time. That's not so bad.

That's fine, but do these new leisure activities involve money spending?

Last edited:
That's fine, but are these new leisure activities involve money spending?

Some will, i.e. "travel". But my bicycling, hiking, photography, and music/guitar hobbies are already paid for. Plus, it doesn't cost anything to lollygag around the house, an activity of which I'm pretty adept.

Last edited:
Some will, i.e. "travel". But my bicycling, hiking, photography, and music/guitar hobbies are already paid for. Plus, it doesn't cost anything to lollygag around the house, am activity of which I'm pretty adept.
Just in case lollygag gets boring, you could try....

Crawling, creeping, dallying, dawdling, diddling, dillydallying, dragging, lagging, lingering, loitering, moping, poking, shilly-shallying...

Congrats for being closer to FIRE! :greetings10:

Wow! So many free activities for the frugal-minded ER. And people keep asking if they can afford to retire.

Just in case lollygag gets boring, you could try....

Crawling, creeping, dallying, dawdling, diddling, dillydallying, dragging, lagging, lingering, loitering, moping, poking, shilly-shallying...

Congrats for being closer to FIRE! :greetings10:

Diddling? :LOL:

You forgot "putzing"...

I may actually spend less time here once I'm not tethered to my computer at w*rk.

So your company is saving money in more ways than one with you going half time;)

Okay, not so dramatic, but I'm on a part-time schedule these days, due to the vagaries of grant money, or lack of same. So I discussed my plans with my boss, and told him I'll give him one more year. So, 2015, here I come. :dance:

The first step: today I actually withdrew money from my 401k. First time ever, but a lowly 2% WR to help augment the half-a-paycheck. Woohoo!

For a nickel, I think I'd just retire right now, but one more year on the pension is worth about $900 extra per year for life, and it gets me one year closer to early SS...

Congratulations! Discussing this with your boss is a big step. One more year and you can say goodbye to the working world. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom