Taking Food/drink off a cruise ship

Fiddler

Recycles dryer sheets
I know that most countries ban fruit and vegetables and other agricultural products, but usually sodas etc are ok. I will take water with me from the ship to the secluded beach we are going to (no restaurants close by). Has anyone ever taken food off the cruise ship (like cheese and bread)?

Never been on a cruise. From the miles of trash, mostly food, I've seen thrown from them I'd doubt they care. If they do have some photos of the food they jettison during the trip.:D

I have never found a place yet where it was legal. The ship has provided food (such as box lunches on excursions in certain locations) but i haven't tried anything beyond water, soda, or wrapped candy.

Maybe you can ask the ship to put together a picnic basket for you?

Marc

The forums at cruise critic are often helpful with questions like this. In general, it's wise not to take anything that isn't sealed. Fresh fruit, for example, is a no-no. Just as US Customs confiscates vegetable matter at airports, overseas Customs may do the same, to prevent importing plant borne diseases.

Taking food/drink off ship at port - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

In answer to your question, no, I have not taken food ashore from a cruise ship.

Last edited:
I think I found my answer Entry Requirements | The British Virgin Islands

Importation of Food
Yacht owners, charter guests and visitors may bring food into the British Virgin Islands. For the time being, however, because of the worldwide threat of Hoof and Mouth and Mad Cow Disease, a law is in effect which bans the importation of any meat products unless an application is submitted to the Department of Agriculture for approval. Approved permits cost $25.00. For more information, please call the Department of Agriculture at 284-495-2532. Visitors coming from the North America with meat products for consumption during their stay will not have to fill out the application if they are bringing less than 40 lbs. of meat.

I used to take a box or two of breakfast cereal off the ship when we would dock at one of the private islands. Dozens of fish would appear as soon as you opened the cereal in the water.

We've taken some snacks from the cafe (cereal, banana/apple, etc). I think we took a panini or three once upon a time (sealed in a ziplock bag), and thereby probably violated a book full of customs regulations. What can I say, I'm a rebel.

I guess experiences differ, on small ship cruising, I have had lunch packed in for full day hikes (Alaska, Hawaii, Sea of Cortez). The Galapagos is very strict about any kind of food off the ship. Also small ship experience at breakfast on the day of debarkation, sandwich stuff was supplied for those traveling.

I once tried to walk off our HA cruise ship with an ice cream cone (Guatamala or Panama) and was advised that I had to eat it or dump it. Seems as though they have an agreement with locals that cruisers will spend their cash on local ice cream.

I've been to quite a few Caribbean ports, some Canadian, some US (on a US-based ship), and a few European. In most cases, we were lugging a bunch of stuff (a beach-bag, maybe snorkeling equipment, kid-stuff [back in the day]).

In no instance that I can recall did anyone in the port look at what we were carrying (of course there was no obvious food being carried).

They very often force you to walk though the shopping area to get off and get on the ship. I tried to by-pass the shopping, and that's about the only time I got attention from customs/immigration/port cop, or whatever. So they're much more concerned about selling you something.

If you want to nab something from the buffet and bring it ashore, do it (except maybe fruit in some ag sensitive place). I never bothered because eating in a restaurant ashore is kind of fun, and you can get some interesting local foods that way.

Edit: I skimmed that cruise critic thread and, as is typical over there, they have a bunch of highly opinionated posts taking the cruise lines' party line. But not one post mentioned the elephant in the room: it's an extra expense to the cruise line. And lost revenue for the port businesses. Those two business concerns aren't getting that incremental spending...that's at least some of what's driving the "rules".

Last edited:
You probably could without problem but I just eat a big breakfast, skip lunch at shore, and then have a nice dinner once back on the ship.

I don't take food off the ship mainly because I want to save room to eat at somewhere in the port of call.

We are going to a isolated beach..the tour providers make it clear there are NO amenities (we will have to take a pee behind the palm trees it seems)...no washrooms, no restaurant..no facilities at all! I still signed up for it..because I want to be at a secluded area...the other beach that busloads of cruise ship people converge on is very crowded...so I made my choice. I will tell everyone how it worked out!

I've been to just about every major (and minor) island in the Caribbean. The cruise lines often have a table selling bottled water where you get off the boat. Some also take a sandwich made at breakfast in their back packs.

All the locals care about is you having money when you get off. Their economies are based on the almighty tourism dollar.

We cruise often and also grab a few extra muffins / croissants in a big gallon zip-lok bag to take when we are dying of hunger and there is no easy way to stop. We don't go overboard as a lot of folks seem to - taking hoards of food back to their room at breakfast. Also, make sure to bring empty water bottles with you - fill them up on the ship and take them ashore.

We don't go overboard as a lot of folks seem to - taking hoards of food back to their room at breakfast.

We do this occasionally but it's because we have 3 kids. So sometimes I'll carry a couple of plates topped up with food for the five of us to enjoy in the cabin. So don't judge. ;)

Then again, sometimes we're gluttons.

Back
Top Bottom