Tallin Estonia/Helsinki

RetireBy90

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We plan a couple days n Finland and one day in Tallin Estonia April 24. Any one been there, what should we see? Kinda close to old Soviet Union for me but DW wants to do a day trip. Finland ideas ?

We went to Tallinn for a couple nights a few years ago; I didn’t know what to expect going in, but it was absolutely wonderful. It is one of the best-preserved medieval cities in Europe ( it was once part of the Hanseatic trade league). You can walk along the ramparts of the city wall, the “Fat Margaret” tower was worth seeing, and we learned quite a bit of Estonia’s Soviet and post-Soviet history.

We did a “free” walking tour (where you tip at the end) and our guide was young and very informative about both the history and a bit of the punk modern-day culture. I would highly recommend a walking tour if you only have one day. Also, we really enjoyed the Medieval-themed restaurant “Ill Draakon” in the main square for lunch. They served everything as if it was the year 1400, the pasty’s and ale were very tasty, and the succulent ox rib (that you eat with your hands) was like something out of the Flintstones. A very memorable lunch.

We took the ferry there and back from Helsinki, and I would say we enjoyed our time in Tallinn as much (if not more) than our time in Helsinki. I hope you enjoy your time there!

We went to Tallinn for a couple nights a few years ago; I didn’t know what to expect going in, but it was absolutely wonderful. It is one of the best-preserved medieval cities in Europe ( it was once part of the Hanseatic trade league). You can walk along the ramparts of the city wall, the “Fat Margaret” tower was worth seeing, and we learned quite a bit of Estonia’s Soviet and post-Soviet history.

We did a “free” walking tour (where you tip at the end) and our guide was young and very informative about both the history and a bit of the punk modern-day culture. I would highly recommend a walking tour if you only have one day. Also, we really enjoyed the Medieval-themed restaurant “Ill Draakon” in the main square for lunch. They served everything as if it was the year 1400, the pasty’s and ale were very tasty, and the succulent ox rib (that you eat with your hands) was like something out of the Flintstones. A very memorable lunch.

We took the ferry there and back from Helsinki, and I would say we enjoyed our time in Tallinn as much (if not more) than our time in Helsinki. I hope you enjoy your time there!

Thank you for this. As I plan a winter trip to Sweden next year a couple of Swedish friends have suggested the Christmas market in Tallin so that is likely on the docket. I was initially skeptical but am warming to the idea and your comments help me. I would want at least 2 full days to make the excursion worthwhile.

Thanks Zona, I've forwarded your great comments to my travel agent (DW).

We plan a couple days n Finland and one day in Tallin Estonia April 24. Any one been there, what should we see? Kinda close to old Soviet Union for me but DW wants to do a day trip. Finland ideas ?

I spent a day in Tallin on a Baltic cruise. I signed up for an excursion called “The Soviet Experience” that I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a combination of humorous role-playing and serious history and lasted maybe 3 hours. We were picked up by a crummy old Soviet-era bus with a guide dressed as a KGB colonel. He berated us all for being capitalists, the bus “broke down” and we had to push it to get it restarted and we toasted with vodka to Brezhnev. After a few more things like that the tour turned serious and we got a good overview of life in Estonia under communism and we visited a number of historical locations with relevance to the subject. You also gets sense of the absolute hatred the Estonians had for the Soviets, the pride they have for their country and how much they value their freedom. I’m sure with a little web research you can find tours of this type, if not the precise tour. There are also web sites that list prominent sights of the Soviet era that you can visit on your own.

We were in Poland on their Independence Day and they had huge crowds in the streets and people dressed in period costumes re-enacting how it was under Russian rule. They also hate the Russians for good reason.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry to much about the Russians. I've heard they're pretty busy right now. YMMV

Ironic that last night I was trying to figure out what to do in Tallinn and came across this today.

I'll be there for one day on a cruise in August. Unfortunately it is on a Monday so some things will be closed.

I did check for the Soviet Experience tour upthread, there's a link but it's dead. It was even from Celebrity who will are going on; too bad, that sounded fun!

I've narrowed it down to two combo minivan/walking tours and I'm just waiting to hear back on the details. They are only four hours so that gives us time on our own to get lunch and walk around on our own.

People speak very highly of Tallinn, I'm really looking forward to it.

We spent a day also on a baltic cruise, and it was one of the better visits. We did not do any formal tours, and found the city to be welcoming and easy to check out on your own.

Ironic that last night I was trying to figure out what to do in Tallinn and came across this today.

I'll be there for one day on a cruise in August. Unfortunately it is on a Monday so some things will be closed.

I did check for the Soviet Experience tour upthread, there's a link but it's dead. It was even from Celebrity who will are going on; too bad, that sounded fun!

I've narrowed it down to two combo minivan/walking tours and I'm just waiting to hear back on the details. They are only four hours so that gives us time on our own to get lunch and walk around on our own.

People speak very highly of Tallinn, I'm really looking forward to it.

I would really like to hear about your experience after your cruise if you remember and have the time

Back
Top Bottom