Tax Software Recommendation

No, they haven’t. I’m still using them just because I have for 10+ years and have been too lazy to make a switch. But really annoyed with all the ‘offers’ that I have to repeatedly reject at the end when I just want to file my freaking taxes!

I use TT and don't import anything except last years frame work. MDI the numbers from the paper docs. The headers are all filled out from last year and the numbers are all fill in the blanks.

I enter each statement as they come in the snail mail. No trouble at all.

I used TaxAct for over 20 years, before switching over to FreeTaxUSA for TY2022. TaxAct became a bit expensive close to $80, whereas FreeTaxUSA federal filing is free, and state filing is $14.99. The user interface is pretty good and it handled Roth conversions, rental income, rental depreciation, and itemized deductions.
This was my first tax filing after Early Retirement in Feb 2022 and I had zero Federal and state taxes due (My taxable income was negative, adjusted to zero for filing)

Late to the party - but here is my nickel's worth. (2 cents subject to inflation... )
Retired CPA -

Have used TT in years past. H&R is cheaper and does the job well, and has been my go to for the past dozen years. ALSO volunteer with the AARP/Vita program and THEY use Tax Slayer. Don't really care for it. Maybe just too much history w/ H&R.

YMMV

Another retired CPA here. I had an identity theft issue with Turbotax and they were very rude and refused to do anything about it. I started using HRB when I retired and have been happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom