Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think negative attitudes will affect her. It would appear Ms. Swift knows that haters are gonna hate hate hate and she’s gonna just shake shake shake, shake it off.

I wish I could shake thing off so easily. :)

This was an amusing display of human psychology and explains a lot. Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain was right.

I don’t think negative attitudes will affect her. It would appear Ms. Swift knows that haters are gonna hate hate hate and she’s gonna just shake shake shake, shake it off.

Money certainly doesn’t cure all ills and does come with its own problems, but I do think having a billion dollars does make it a lot easier to handle the haters.

My first exposure to Taylor Swift was in her early days when she sang the song "Tim McGraw" about 15yrs ago. I recall that there were some rumblings in the County and Western Music scene for a few years that Faith Hill "maybe" wasn't too happy about Tim and Taylor collaborating too much. Then again, maybe that was for publicity proposes.

I'd agree that some of the people in this thread are pretty curmudgeonly, but there are some of us who aren't being that way at all. -ERD50

DW got me a T-shirt....
"Never thought I would become a grumpy old man, and here I am killing it"

Sometimes I wonder about the people in this forum. I know we are (mostly) all retired, but I see some pretty curmudgeonly, mean spirited comments. We can be old of mind, or young of mind. I never paid a lot of attention to Taylor Swift although I like some of her songs.

Some people took offense to my comment that I thought there were better candidates for person of the year. Everyone has different tastes in music, and there are a lot of bands and artists that I have no interest in listening to, even though many of them are very, very successful.

But I don't think that any of my favourite bands ever deserved person of the year, other than maybe The Beatles, and that was because they were groundbreaking and actually changed music.

I think shaking things off comes to any of us with experience. I shrug things off a lot now.

The problem with media is that many things go round and round forever. I'll just shrug to that.

What some here may be missing about Taylor Swift, is that while many of her melodies are lovely, her true brilliance, IMO, are her gut-honest lyrics.

My personal favorite, from my absolutely favorite performance, her live, ten minute long solo on SNL two years ago. Gives me chills every single time I watch it and really listen to the lyrics. Have we not all been there at some point in a relationship?

- You call me up again just to break me like a promise / So casually cruel in the name of being honest (All Too Well)

Link to SNL video-

Some people took offense to my comment that I thought there were better candidates for person of the year. Everyone has different tastes in music, and there are a lot of bands and artists that I have no interest in listening to, even though many of them are very, very successful.

But I don't think that any of my favourite bands ever deserved person of the year, other than maybe The Beatles, and that was because they were groundbreaking and actually changed music.
I thought your comment was superficial, and ignored what the Time cover has become. It's not about being the best songwriter or musician.

I watched a lousy Beatles documentary last night. They've always been the group that speaks to me, at least since age 10. It's hard to pass on another documentary, no matter how lousy. Long ago I learned all of the chord changes from Beatles Complete. I'm in their corner.

With the advent of social media and streaming, an artist like Taylor Swift is on a different playing field. I'm 2-3 generations before her, but that doesn't mean I can't respect her accomplishments and this recognition by Time.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom