Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Person of the year...
Please stop the earth and let me off

Betting Travis Kelcee will be athlete of the year

Interesting!!! I wonder what the criteria is to be person of the year?

Person of the year...
Please stop the earth and let me off

I am not a fan of hers perse but she has an huge and loyal following and is an extremely positive and uplifting person. We could use more people like her who lead their masses with positivity. I went to two of her concerts (long story) and witnessed it firsthand. Very impressive.

Must involve killing someone.... Putin made the short list. But then again so did Barbi.
I almost posted something about her (Swift) last week.... watching the Morning news and commented to the Wife that it was the 1st day that she hadn't been mentioned in the news.....
Before I could start typing.... Her name came up.

I am not a fan of hers perse but she has an huge and loyal following and is an extremely positive and uplifting person. We could use more people like her who lead their masses with positivity. I went to two of her concerts (long story) and witnessed it firsthand. Very impressive.

This is basically how I feel about her. Not sure about person of the year but she does seem to handle herself very well. If person of the year is the person most talked about, largest fan base, most influential . . . she’s in that group for sure.

Perhaps a read beyond the surface, one that is certainly relevant to ER:

Ms. Swift was the single biggest economic driver in the US this summer, creating billions in spending - not just on tickets for her Eras tour and movie, but her fans spent on travel, clothing, etc., to attend sold out concerts in every city. One thing I read somewhere a few months ago is she - alone - may be the reason we didn't slip into a mild recession this past summer.

You can yawn all you like, but she's a powerhouse. And no, I would not recognize one of her songs. There are far worse people to follow in showbusiness. I'm glad my niece grew up following her.

Here's what Time says:
Since 1927, TIME has chosen a Person of the Year, the editors’ assessment of the individual who most shaped the headlines over the previous 12 months, for better or for worse.
https://time.com/6342816/person-of-the-year-2023-taylor-swift-choice/

It has nothing to do with virtue or accomplishment, just newsworthiness. Adolf Hitler was Time's Man of the Year in 1938. Joseph Stalin was Man of the Year twice, in 1939 and 1942. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini was in 1979. And several others that you wouldn't expect. See the full list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Last edited:
It's Taylors second time as Person of the Year. 1st time was 2017 when "she was recognized as one of the Silence Breakers who inspired women to speak out about sexual misconduct."

I think she's a good role model for the younglings.

I agree. It doesn't matter if you like her music or not, she is a good person doing good things for a lot of people. In addition to her regular charity givings which are substantial she even gave over $50M in bonuses to her tour crew. Not just back up singers and dancers but everyone involved from truck drivers to catering staff to sound techs. She seems to be one of the few billionaires who is a truly good person.

Taylor Swift is lucky she wasn't a singer in the 1970s.

She would've been completely unknown.

I agree. It doesn't matter if you like her music or not, she is a good person doing good things for a lot of people. In addition to her regular charity givings which are substantial she even gave over $50M in bonuses to her tour crew. Not just back up singers and dancers but everyone involved from truck drivers to catering staff to sound techs. She seems to be one of the few billionaires who is a truly good person.

So, she's a nice rich person that gives back.

IMO, big deal. I think that the criteria for person of the year should be a little higher.

"Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate (haters gonna hate)
Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
I shake it off, I shake it off (ooh-ooh-ooh)."

I’m sure right now, Taylor and her fans are singing “haters gonna hate , hate, hate, hate . . .

Shake it off, Talylor!

Edited to add: Oops. Cross posted with above. Personally I don’t care enough about Times person of the year to be upset by their choice.

Last edited:
I couldn’t care less about any whatever year media awards. Have no clue generally.

Another bonus of avoiding most news.

IMO, big deal. I think that the criteria for person of the year should be a little higher.

So who is your alternate candidate?

I couldn’t care less about any whatever year media awards. Have no clue generally.

Another bonus of avoiding most news.

Same here, I know almost nothing about her. And she's in with fine company, like Hitler and Stalin!

So who is your alternate candidate?

My choice did far more of importance but is politically on the "wrong" side and therefore was never even considered. I'll just leave it at that.

Their short list included Barbie. It's a farce.

I shake it off, I shake it off (ooh-ooh-ooh)."

That shake it off song is the only one I would recognize from her.

Being a Chiefs fan for many years, I'm far more familiar with Travis Kelce but try to ignore the soap opera and couldn't care less about their relationship.

Last edited:
Betting Travis Kelcee will be athlete of the year

She put Travis Kelce on the map :LOL:.

For Taylor's amount of fame, I think she's a very generous person with her time and $. Will be interesting to see now how the Taylor/Travis thing turns out.

Now as for listening to her songs, I tried a few years back with the free (did somebody say Free?) live Taylor concert on Amazon Prime. But I couldn't wait until the broadcast was over.

Wasn't a clean sweep though as Swifty wasn't the top word of the year. Came in 3rd or 2nd.

Here's what Time says:

It has nothing to do with virtue or accomplishment, just newsworthiness. Adolf Hitler was Time's Man of the Year in 1938. Joseph Stalin was Man of the Year twice, in 1939 and 1942. Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini was in 1979. And several others that you wouldn't expect. See the full list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Cool, I didn’t realize I had won it in 1966 as part of the Baby Boomer generation. :dance:

Here's what Time says:

Newsweek is (was?) a news magazine. They give out an award to the person that is the most newsworthy. That's the criteria. This makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom