Television (or perhaps radio) news?

In addition to NPR over the air I like to listen to various news podcasts while taking my walks or while puttering around the house. NPR has some good ones, plus I have others that cover various areas of interest, including some that do a deeper dive into a selected news topic of the day.

I was just saying to DW yesterday that I’m so tired of the news channels being nothing but Zoom calls any more. The BBC news channel, OTOH, has more shows that are more traditional news (but by no means all) and I like getting more news about the wider world fron a different perspective.

NPR, PBS, and BBC are my choices if I have any interest in what is going on in the news at the time. I don't care for the other sources that are just sound bites, fluff, opinions, only exist to sell commercial time, and generally provide useless "information" that is passed off as news. IMO it is a waste of time and just gets me frustrated about things I can do nothing about. I quit paying much attention to any other sources since they give very little information and often leave me with questions that never get answered with a later follow-up.

Cheers!

Most of any national news sources reflect opinion/viewpoints. So does NPR/PBS. Not that they aren't interesting.

Most of the down the middle shows seem to be business and you wanted an alternative. Not sure I have one. Except finding podcasts on topics you like and listening to those.

I usually listen to business shows or music as background noise. Music is pretty good, especially if you have a good song list or some of your cable sources.

One local news and talk station has several hosts on the air whose politics are maybe 50% to 70% in line with mine. But, they are always trying to drum up some level of outrage by emphasizing the negative. I find these people toxic. Amazingly, their toxins flow even if I agree with their views. Now I listen to about 20 minutes of newcasts (NPR, BBC, CBC) at the start of the day. If the world has not ended, I get on with my life.

Good description about toxic talk - a major reason I avoid live talk/news. Trying to make people angry or scared is a business tactic to get them to stay tuned in.

Even if the world ended it wouldn’t matter if I didn’t find out until a week later. :cool:

In the DMV area I listen to WTOP on the radio or internet. In my view they stick to the facts, play things evenhanded, don't dwell excessively on any one story, and rarely cover "celebrity" news.

CSPAN. They have a call-in show every morning. Very interesting. Uncensored. Respectul to the callers. They try hard not to have a political spin, too.

The only news I listen to is NPR/BBC on the radio. I especially like BBC on NPR from 9-10 weekdays for international news. I don't get any news from the TV. For very local news I follow my local town, local police, local fire department on Twitter. They all report local news on a very timely basis.

We have satellite TV and Sirius XM. We record the local 11PM news on DISH nightly. It allows us to skip commercials. I like POTUS, NPR, and BBC too. I mostly read my news. I check my Google news feed and an online major newspaper to which I am subscribed.

Political and national news is designed to make people angry to keep them watching, which brings in money. Too many minor events are called catastrophes, and it’s the same thing over and over.

Being from the SF Bay Area, I check out SFGate. Their top stories are how much the latest mansion sold for and which restaurants are closing. Not interested. My local online news source puts Penn State football and high school sports on top. Not interested.

Back
Top Bottom