Tetanus Vaccine & Whooping Cough

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When one gets a tetanus shot does it also protect you from whooping cough and diphtheria?

I was reading about whooping cough vaccine and research says when receiving a tetanus shoot it also covers whooping cough??

Can anyone add any more or other information on the subject?

It depends.

The Td vaccine covers tetanus and diphtheria.
The Tdap vaccine covers tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (whooping cough).

I believe that you can still get a shot that is just a tetanus shot, or one that protects against all three. I got a shot at work back in 2008 that was only for tetanus. My last one in 2018 at Costco was for all three.

Thanks for that information. I will need to make a call to county health care and see if they can give some information tomorrow.

Thank you for the clarification.

I got the tdap before traveling to Africa, glad I had my vaccination record on my phone when I went to the ER.

They only offer Td and TdaP. DTP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) was the first combination vaccine, developed in the 1940s. It used whole cell pertussis, which had a higher rate of and more severe side effects, and was only given to children. In the 1990s the developed a safer vaccine DTaP (aP =acellular pertussis). However, the effects were not as long lasting, and teenagers started getting pertussis, so they developed an adult booster, with a smaller amount of the diphtheria component. (Capital letters indicates a larger dose in the vaccine).

It’s important to get the Tdap and not just Td. Older adults are now known to be prone to more severe pertussis, and grandparents have been found to be a major source for pertussis in infants too young to be immunized. So now they encourage a pertussis vaccine mid-pregnancy to all pregnant women to protect their newborn, and at least every 10 years.

One of the scariest things I ever saw was a 2 month old infant in the ER turning blue repeatedly because of pertussis. Get the Tdap.

I had a record of getting the tetanus shot but could not find a record of the detailed shot given just tetanus. I just got looking again and did find that I got the tdap in 2020 so should be good for a few more years.

Back
Top Bottom