Text messaging being replaced?

I don't even have text messaging turned on, on my iPhone. I have never sent one and I still don't really understand why anyone would want to. My daughter tried to explain it to me, but I just don't get it.

I am hoping that, with any luck, text messaging will become obsolete before I have to learn how to do it. :D

Texting certainly hasn't declined, it's increasing by leaps and bounds, it's just moved to other platforms - as the article (clumsily) mentions. What you're calling text is SMS and it was the only game in town 10-20 years ago. Now there's Twitter, FaceBook, iMessage, Google Voice, Skype, and all sorts of other alternatives, better in some ways. IOW, everyone just has lots of ways to "text" these days, not just SMS.

IMO texting, Twitter, etc. are all useful. If I need to have a conversation with someone, but not urgent, email is good. If I need to have a conversation with someone right away, a phone call. If I just want DW to stop at the ATM on the way home, I can text her - at 1/4th the cost of phone minutes. And if I want to see what's new with all my favorites (more websites than "friends"), Twitter is ideal. ie, I can see what's new at 40 online magazines in a minute or two (and read the articles that appeal to me), instead of looking at 40 sites individually - just one useful purpose.

A scam? :LOL: Late adopters are hilarious ('get off my lawn...')

I remember my (now 90 yo) Dad telling me the internet was useless. He acted like he invented it a few years later...

Last edited:
I don't do a lot of texting, but I find it very useful at times. This morning when I turned my phone off after we got out from the gym I got a message from SIL, texting from the hospital saying that their DD was about to undergo a kidney transplant and they would be on-line for a Skype session at 11am our time. (they live in England). They don't have smartphones or iPads so don't do e-mail away from a PC.

Totally unexpected as she had been on dialysis for months and only on the donor list for 5 weeks :dance:

It's useful if you are somewhere where you need to talk to someone now, like you would in a phone call, but you are in a situation where you should not be talking (or where it would seem rude to do so).

yeah for instance you're in a noisy public locale.

Or you don't want to have a long conversation. Or you want like an address or another number to exchange. Better to have that info conveyed visually than by voice.

yeah for instance you're in a noisy public locale.

Or you don't want to have a long conversation. Or you want like an address or another number to exchange. Better to have that info conveyed visually than by voice.

Exactly. I was/still am expecting a text today from the friend I play tennis with at 7am on Tuesday's. It is usually "CU at 7?" to which I reply "K" (or vice-versa)

It's useful if you are somewhere where you need to talk to someone now, like you would in a phone call, but you are in a situation where you should not be talking (or where it would seem rude to do so).

Our nephew is a gaffer (lighting for tv/film). Can't really talk on the phone at work - but can absolutely text. It's the only way we stay in touch.

I find it very useful for coordinating meet up spots when in a group that's split up. Example: this weekend I took the team I coach in F.I.R.S.T. Robotics to the championship at Legoland. Team members and parents wanted to go enjoy the park - but we possibly were going to be called back. I made sure I had parents cell #'s and texted when the callback list was announced. That way they could be riding rides, rather than everyone waiting for 90 minutes for this list. I do the same when my sister and I take my sons to disneyland - we can split up - and text when we're off a ride... this way the kids can be standing in different lines, and we have a way to sync back up. Talking doesn't work in this noisy/chaotic environment.

I LOVE texting. It is so much easier to contact folks when you can't talk on the phone, or more commonly, don't want to talk on the phone.
I use other forms of digital comm like they say, but must confess that I read more tweets than I send.

I don't use text messaging. I'd like to find a way to send a message to DS's phone but our cell phones (clamshell Tracphones, good for voice and cheap) are very awkward to use for this.

Anyway, now I read that the text messaging business (a scam IMO) is declining :): At 20, the text message is over the hill - MarketWatch

You might consider signing up for Google Voice. It is free and we love it. You can text and receive texts, and when we travel, we forward calls to our Google number. Our cell phones then ring (if we set it up that way) but best of all, we get an email or text of any voice mails left. Also get a phone number of any missed call, and set SPAM numbers to be ignored.

I don't use text messaging. I'd like to find a way to send a message to DS's phone but our cell phones (clamshell Tracphones, good for voice and cheap) are very awkward to use for this.

If you are at your computer, you can text them via email.

The email address is their 10 digit #, followed by the carrier's email domain.

Two examples:

3125551212@vtext.com
3125551212@tmomail.net

You need to know their carrier, then find the carrier's email domain.

-ERD50

I don't even have text messaging turned on, on my iPhone. I have never sent one and I still don't really understand why anyone would want to. My daughter tried to explain it to me, but I just don't get it.

Do you use email? Texting is basically the same, but can be faster and far more convenient on a phone. As other's have said, silent communication is essential in some circumstances.

I text only rarely, but I certainly 'get it' - it has all sorts of advantages for some people.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Where it's a ripoff is the phone companies charging by the text and it costs them even less than a voice call.

But the popularity gives them leverage to try to fleece you.

Where it's a ripoff is the phone companies charging by the text and it costs them even less than a voice call.

But the popularity gives them leverage to try to fleece you.

Not so much popularity (demand will drive up prices - that isn't 'fleecing' anyone), but the lack of competition. Too few carriers.

That 140 Byte text message (plus some overhead) is a tiny fraction of a single second of speech equivalent. Yet, they charge about the same for a text as for an entire minute of speech. And, it doesn't even need to be delivered with the same time constraints - they can buffer up hundreds/thousands of texts for several seconds, and send them as bandwidth opens. But that would make speech choppy and unintelligible. Texters are being overcharged by factors of thousands, only companies with monopoly-type powers can get away with that on such a large scale.

-ERD50

I use Google Voice as my main phone number (I ported it to GV last year) and as long as they don't start charging I will never go back. If someone calls and I don't pick up on one of my forwarding numbers they leave a voicemail it transcribes it (pretty well if they speak fairly clearly) and emails and texts it to me so I can get it instantly anywhere in the world.

When in the USA I often use skype to send text messages overseas. It is SO much cheaper than a phone call to an international cell phone normally. I can often say what I need to say in 4 text messages for 39 cents where the same phone call might end up costing me $3.00 or more, sometimes much more if they decide to talk...

I hardly ever actually pick up the phone and call anyone anymore and unless I am expecting something really important will rarely answer my phone. I figure they might want to talk too long so I let them leave a message and I will read it in a few seconds when GV transcribes it. If it is an emergency (never happened yet) I can call them back, otherwise, I will respond to them via text or email.

...(snip)...
A scam? :LOL: Late adopters are hilarious ('get off my lawn...')

I remember my (now 90 yo) Dad telling me the internet was useless. He acted like he invented it a few years later...
By scam I meant the cost/text is not in keeping with normal pricing. Note I'm not against this or most other technologies. I'm a pretty heavy tech user and worked in the industry for many years. I think you misunderstood my intention here and maybe I wasn't clear.

If you have the right phone and like to thumb it, I can see at least occasional use of texting to get the job done.

If you are at your computer, you can text them via email.

The email address is their 10 digit #, followed by the carrier's email domain.

Two examples:

3125551212@vtext.com
3125551212@tmomail.net

You need to know their carrier, then find the carrier's email domain.

-ERD50
DS has Page Plus I think. Apparently vtext.com is supposed to work with them. So I'll try that.

Thanks!

By scam I meant the cost/text is not in keeping with normal pricing. Note I'm not against this or most other technologies. I'm a pretty heavy tech user and worked in the industry for many years. I think you misunderstood my intention here and maybe I wasn't clear.

If you have the right phone and like to thumb it, I can see at least occasional use of texting to get the job done.
Sorry, I laid it on a little thick, but texting isn't going away.

And I note the 'ripoff' statements above and I don't dispute that, when DW had an AT&T phone they charged her similarly. However, we have Net10 for now, and texts are 0.25 minutes with them (and presumably Tracfone and Straight Talk too). That seems fair to me, so we text vs call when we can. FWIW...

You might consider signing up for Google Voice. It is free and we love it. You can text and receive texts, and when we travel, we forward calls to our Google number. Our cell phones then ring (if we set it up that way) but best of all, we get an email or text of any voice mails left. Also get a phone number of any missed call, and set SPAM numbers to be ignored.
I'll have to check this out. Not sure I understand the pluses and minuses. Thanks.

:confused:
I think I must be living in a cave... From being the community Guru, I've become the local Doo Doo. A little slow... Just found out that my cell phone has a stopwatch, note pad, three games, an MP3 player, FM radio, calculator, a flashlight that it calls 'lantern' as well a something called templates and a choice of predictive texting... along with the camera, an internet browser, blueteeth, speakerphone, and voice notes, and an appointment calendar, earphone micorphone, charger and alarmclock. Not bad for $10..

Now, what's this bit about texting?

Last edited:
I have a Tracphone and too really don't use it for texting. I have sent text to mobile phones using Yahoo messenger via computer.

Last edited:
I'll have to check this out. Not sure I understand the pluses and minuses. Thanks.

RE - Google Voice: I think you need a data connection on your phone to send/rx the 'free' texts. So if you have to pay for data, not really free. But if you have a wifi capable phone, and are in a wi-fi zone, that should be free.

-ERD50

I understand all this stuff about texting but I hate it and don't do it. If you want to communicate with someone about something very minor, why go to all the trouble of calling, interrupt that person or most times, not even have them answer. That person probably says, "Oh, it's him again. Wonder what the hell he wants now? I won't answer and maybe he will leave a message." The result is texting. I hate all this new communication lingo and think is reduces humanity to a bunch of nothings. However, in this day and age of hustle and bustle and everything has to be done now, I guess it's a necessity. I don't have to live with it and I just carry the basic cell phone and for the most part it is used to contact my wife when necessary and that is the extent of it. People like my son, who only has a cell phone and no house phone, only calls our cell phones. Actually, the only calls we get on the house phone are sales calls. I keep telling them I'm on the do not call list but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Hey, I just had an idea about those sales calls. I'll tell them I don't have the time right now to listen to their sales pitch but if they will text me the information, I might think about their offer. That'll get 'em!

Here in the Philippines there is very little calling and most people text only or mainly text. The system does not provide good quality voice calls and calls are many times more expensive than texting.

Filipinos send more texts per capita than any country on earth.

One other comment on text messages; they will often go thru when voice calling is not working due to high traffic or other network disturbances. This was especially evident during 911.

Back
Top Bottom