Thailand

Good restaurants means local but where you are not eating from Hawker stalls always. Not adverse to employing a cook a few days a week either.

Thanks for the warning about the visa forums.

Don't mind areas with long term expats but loads of Waikiki style tourists as I imagine to be routine in Phuket not preferred. Krabi looks interesting at first pass.

Before making recommendations about Thailand I usually ask people:
- What sort of lifestyle do you want: most or all of the comforts / amenities found in a rich nation, or a mix of some / limited western amenities and thai style.
- Some towns are year around travel destinations for sexpats. One can live in these towns and rarely or never encounter those districts and men. Would you live in such a town?
- Do you want a substantial expat presence? One that includes a significant percentage of those from your home country?
- How does your budget fall on the scale from 1 (pensioner) to 5 (I golf 3 times a week)?

Good questions to ask ItDontmeanathing.

I've visited twice recently and a few tips I give folks are to brush up on basic Thai language. I did not and it sure would have helped having those basic words nailed down. Initially asking where the nearest restaurant or pub was became a challenge by me not knowing the language. Most Thai folks try hard with English but it's not like the Philippines where English is taught in schools.

2nd is "are you used to high humidity?" I'm a NW Washington native and we really don't have those hot and sticky days. 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity in April is common in Thailand. Cheers.

I've visited twice recently and a few tips I give folks are to brush up on basic Thai language. I did not and it sure would have helped having those basic words nailed down.

In my experience, visiting places where little English is spoken is doable. I can't imagine living there without committed study of the language or a Thai wife / GF. Not knowing the language means either having a high tolerance for confusion and not getting what you want or living somewhere with a expat base and a high season tourist population.

2nd is "are you used to high humidity?" I'm a NW Washington native and we really don't have those hot and sticky days. 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity in April is common in Thailand. Cheers.

Most get used to it. Come at the beginning of high season, then heat up as the tourists leave. Using Air Con at home only to sleep and not camping out in air conditioned places during the day makes for more rapid acclimation. I've been here 3 years, use AC only for sleeping (at 28 C / 82 F) or when I'm sick.

The requirement for the Thai retirement visa are somewhat less onerous these days. You do have to be over 50, however. The 90 day reporting requirement can be met by mailing in a form 15 days before your due date. I have never gone in personally to do the 90 day report myself. Exiting and reentering the country counts as a 90 day report and starts the day count ticking for the next one. The Thai gov't requires for a renewal of the retirement visa that you show a Thai bank balance of at least 800,000 baht ($27,327) for 60 days before renewal. After the renewal is approved you can do what you want with the money until the next renewal time comes up. Some other countries, like Malaysia and Ecuador, require that you maintain a minimum balance all year round. Most countries, like India and the US, don't have any retirement visa option at all.

With a retirement visa and a multiple re-entry permit, you can come and go as you like. I am on a marriage visa which has slightly different requirements from the retirement visa, but the process is the same. I go once to immigration once a year for a morning to apply and then come back a month later to pick up the visa. So, the Thai retiremement visa seems pretty easy to manage to me.

The Phillipine visa looks to be the gold standard for easy visa requirements. However, there are other disadvantages to the Phillipines, such as crime.

Is not the bank balance requirement waived if you have a monthly income statement showing over 65,000 baht? I would prefer not to have a local bank account with any significant balance.

As an aside, a visiting friend told me that when he applied for the Thai Retirement Visa (for the first time) this past Fall while he was in Thailand they did not require the home country Police Report even though it is technically a requirement. He knew from reading the forums that they do not usually ask for it. My Canadian friend who applies in Toronto each year definitely has to supply it each time.

In the Peddicord book, she has a lot of good things to say about Kuala Lumpur. Based on just the star ratings across all the focus areas, it might even be the top pick in the book (no aspect less than 3 stars, and many 4 and 5's.

I found KL to be pretty bland and just another large Asian city with lots of concrete and tall buildings but no color or soul.

Is not the bank balance requirement waived if you have a monthly income statement showing over 65,000 baht? I would prefer not to have a local bank account with any significant balance.

Yes, it's true you can qualify based on income, but there are stories that for those who use income the Thai immigration authorities may start asking for arbitrary and more extensive documentation. By contrast using the bank deposit method is pretty standard--you give them a bank statement that shows the balance for each of the previous 60 days. And that's it. The significant balance is only a few months' worth of living expenses that you would be bringing in in the near future anyway. A local bank account is the easiest way to pay bills like electicity and rent since people don't use checks here. Also a local bank account provides an ATM/debit card that can be used with any local bank for withdrawals without a fee. A withdrawal using your US bank ATM card is likely to cost $5, although some folks manage to get around that. If you plan on transferring money from a US bank regularly the best local bank is Bangkok Bank.

As an aside, a visiting friend told me that when he applied for the Thai Retirement Visa (for the first time) this past Fall while he was in Thailand they did not require the home country Police Report even though it is technically a requirement. He knew from reading the forums that they do not usually ask for it. My Canadian friend who applies in Toronto each year definitely has to supply it each time.
When discussing retirement visas, it's essential to note the type of non-immigrant visa: type "O-A" or type "O". The requirements are different

When discussing retirement visas, it's essential to note the type of non-immigrant visa: type "O-A" or type "O". The requirements are different

Type O-A. So one does not have to leave for a year (no border run required) although you have to "check in" every 90 days.

Fulfilling the requirements for the police clearance can be difficult if you are abroad. For instance, in the past they have enforced that the clearance must be 90 days old or newer and there can be verification requirements for the document.

Appreciate all the feedback. Regarding Bangkok, I dislike the traffic, lack of trees and parks, and detest the horrible condition of sidewalks, but love having the wide variety of restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, movie theaters, and a choice of gyms and places to play pool or listen to music.

Keep in mind, there is Bangkok and then there is Bangkok on the outskirts. Less traffic, parks, trees etc. I rented a house outside of the city center for $225 a month until 2 years ago. It was a huge, fully furnished 3 bedroom, 2 bath, nice kitchen and a balcony to sit out and have my morning coffee. It was in a gated community that had a pool, small fitness center and clubhouse and about 10 small mom and pop restaurants and mini marts as well as a 7-11.

All that to say, I enjoyed living there for 5 years and they never raised the rent. It was close enough to the city center and other attractions and yet far enough away from the pollution and traffic.

I asked my friend for more details on the Thai retirement visa. If you are not applying for it in the country, then each year you must provide all the documents again for renewal, as if you are applying from scratch (but this doesn't apply if you are renewing inside Thailand). This includes a new medical check, a new home country police check, etc. My friend has a pension so he must get that notarized and approved each year. If he was living in Thailand, he said he would have to get the pension statement authenticated by the Canadian embassy (I think) each year before submitting to Thai immigration. Whereas if you have a Thai bank account, you can get a notarized statement from your Thai bank each year.

I never had to do a medical check or a police check. I think that is is misinformation that you were given. All I do is get an income verification form each year from the US Embassy and take some pics of me and my house, my lease and the completed 1 page form and I am am in and out in about 30 to 40 minutes. I mail in an address report every 90 days.

I never had to do a medical check or a police check. I think that is is misinformation that you were given. All I do is get an income verification form each year from the US Embassy and take some pics of me and my house, my lease and the completed 1 page form and I am am in and out in about 30 to 40 minutes. I mail in an address report every 90 days.

A medical check and police clearance are requirements if you apply from outside the country.

Retirement (Non Imm O-A) - Thaivisa

Royal Thai Embassy, Washington D.C.

However, these requirements are usually overlooked if you apply from within Thailand. A friend who applied for the first time last year (he was in Thailand) said he knew this from reading the forums and was confident he would not be asked for them (and indeed he was not).

I visit Thailand now and then, and lgenuinely like the culture. I learned the language somewhat 45 years ago when I was in the US Peace Corps. If one does retire there, it can be frustrating. When I visit Thailand from where I live in Singapore, I enjoy Cheng Mai, Ko Chang, Ayutthaya, and so on. I also practice my Thai, which is awful at the moment.

When I get back to Singapore, people who do not know me aren't convinced I am not going there for anything else but sex. That's the reputation. The number of the many older expats with extremely young women (girls) seems to reinforce that perception.

It's ridiculous to not want to retire in a country because of what people think is your underlying reason, but it is a factor. I prefer a country that does not have that reputation. Ridiculous reasoning? You bet it is.

Rob said:
I visit Thailand now and then, and lgenuinely like the culture. I learned the language somewhat 45 years ago when I was in the US Peace Corps. If one does retire there, it can be frustrating. When I visit Thailand from where I live in Singapore, I enjoy Cheng Mai, Ko Chang, Ayutthaya, and so on. I also practice my Thai, which is awful at the moment.

When I get back to Singapore, people who do not know me aren't convinced I am not going there for anything else but sex. That's the reputation. The number of the many older expats with extremely young women (girls) seems to reinforce that perception.

It's ridiculous to not want to retire in a country because of what people think is your underlying reason, but it is a factor. I prefer a country that does not have that reputation. Ridiculous reasoning? You bet it is.

On the other hand thousands and thousands go there just to learn to meditate from the forest monks...

Do u seriously want to lay on your deathbed regretting not doing something because "the neighbors will talk" ?

Of course not, and I've visited about 30 times and speak passable Thai. However, it's not a place that has a positive reputation, and having to tell people you are retired there and SINGLE can lead to people thinking "AAAAH, I think I know why you chose that country".

However, you're correct.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom