Thanks Dad - Happy Father's Day

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
AF1QipM3claVimGkwbkB_aDswZapK5vcR633b0YKhx2M=s512-p-qv=pai536gpssgjgsqitl2vt8qcs1668he78,m=3071fde26575b90126c44dfd8b9e60c0,x=,t=25-iv19585

I miss my dad.

He was a slice of the Greatest Generation. Grew up on a small farm during the dust bowl and great depression. Grandpa worked his kids like rented mules. in his twenties, Uncle Sam sent him to Guadalcanal and several other jungle hell holes. He was wounded twice and contracted Malaria.

Shorty after the war, he married his DW and started a family. I came last and was late to the game (quite certain that I was "unplanned"). Because he was in the national guard, he received orders for Korea. He was mobilized, but stayed stateside. Probably good for him - - - and me.

He was a loving man, but strict, and at times, fairly harsh. But given his life experiences, I was amazed that he was a good and decent man. His bullshit meter pegged rather quickly. Best not to play games or try to get one by him.

He taught me to hunt, fish, work, and to be a man. He also taught me many greater and lesser things about life. He also taught me not to "cowboy up" in his presence. :facepalm:

Alzheimer's stole him from me while I was serving in the army in West Germany (more than one Germany back then). F@ck you, Alzheimer's.

I miss my Dad.

Badger, my dad’s story is similar to yours. He died in 1993. We were very close and I miss him a lot.

I miss my dad too. He served in post WWII occupied Japan. Boy did he have stories to tell.

Alzheimer's took my dad too, although he didn't have it. My mother did... The thought and cost of placing her in a nursing home was just too much for the old softy and he had a stroke and fell down a flight of stairs.

I miss my Dad . I won the lottery with my parents . My Dad was a state cop and then worked for the better business bureau . He was well liked and respected .He taught me to work hard and to always be nice to people .He died at 69 with acute leukemia .

I miss my dad.

+1000

My Dad was born outside of the U.S., lost his mother when he was an infant, his father abandoned him when he was a toddler, and he was living on the streets at the age of 6 until a kind woman (whom he always considered his real mother) took him into a foster home.

He came to the U.S. in his late 20s as a minority without English being his first language, he and my mom raised 7 kids in a very bad neighborhood. He struggled to provide for us, dealing with much racial prejudice and discrimination, but never complained. He was angered when a social worker mentioned if he moved out of the home his wife and kids could get government benefits - "my family is my responsibility" he always said.

He never got further than a college associates degree. But as he learned English he developed a knack for learning languages and ended up becoming fluent in at least 5. He did so well at his job (lab tech at a neighborhood health center) that the doctors suggested he get his bachelors degree at go to med school to become a doctor. But he felt he would be asking his family to sacrifice too much to allow him to do that - however, he hoped one of his kids would become a doctor. He and my mom (who herself never got her high school equivalency diploma until all of her children were adults) emphasized education and hard work.

He lived long enough to see all 7 of his children graduate from college (4 from Ivy league schools), 3 get graduate degrees, one become a doctor, and one become a lawyer. He saw his oldest grandchild become a premed student (and she is now a doctor). He said his favorite gifts from us was apparel from the college we attended.

He worked until he was 70, to ensure that my mother (who was a SAHM for he majority of their marriage) would get the maximum SS benefits. He was able to have several years of retirement before he died in 1994. I remember him saying while he was terminally ill "I am so blessed to have my children outlive me" - as so many of his friends had lost at least one child before that child reached the age of 30.

One of the last pictures of have of him was from Fathers Day 25 years ago, before he was diagnosed with cancer. It with him, one of my brothers (the doctor), and our sons, some of Dad's grandkids. It is a picture I treasure.

I miss him - but I recall fondly all of life lessons he not only taught us, but also lived.

My Dad was not a church-going man but we went to honor Mom. When he died, we wanted the Pastor to say something about him that everyone knew was true, so I gave him this to read:

...IN MY EYES...

He's rough and lacks in etiquette,
Society would say.
He has no classy attributes,
To help him on his way.

He's not a fancy dresser,
And he's not so trimmed and neat.
With simple clothes and simple shoes,
He wears upon his feet.

He doesn't belong to a club,
Or drive a shiny car.
And when he takes vacations,
He does not go very far.

He doesn't dine on fine cuisine,
To him simple food's a treat.
And he may use a plastic fork,
When it is time to eat.

He has a modest little house,
But has all that he needs.
He keeps his lawn cut nice and short,
He even trims his weeds.

He works long hours at his job,
To make an average pay.
And even if he's sick or tired,
He goes to work each day.

His job is just a factory job,
His pay just makes ends meet.
But, a few good friends and family,
Make his life complete.

He's not well versed in poetry,
Theater or the arts.
And wisdom is not something,
That he constantly imparts.

He loves the simple things in life,
For riches doesn't thirst.
He knows what is important,
And his family is put first.

The wealth that God has given him,
To treasure in his life.
Two loving sons and daughter-in-law,
And a very special wife.

He never has much money,
And his life is not a show.
But he is still the richest man,
That we will ever know.

To others he's a simple man,
And fame he's never had.
But he's the greatest man we know,
He also is our Dad.

(As read by the Minister at the funeral of W.F. (Bill) Cowan on behalf of his sons)
Everyone who attended thought it was very touching and captured the essence of the man. I was glad I took the effort to prepare the pastor. He had to read it because I never could have!

This was my first Father’s Day without my dad and it was very hard. I miss him a lot. He was also my first boss and taught me to answer the business phone on the first ring, which is a habit I’ve kept for 30+ years.
For that and many other lessons, I’ll always be grateful to him.

This was my first Father’s Day without my dad and it was very hard. I miss him a lot. He was also my first boss and taught me to answer the business phone on the first ring, which is a habit I’ve kept for 30+ years.
For that and many other lessons, I’ll always be grateful to him.
Same here. I knew it would be a hard day, but it was really debilitating. It's hard losing someone who was your Dad, best friend, drinking buddy, mentor, hero, teacher, leader, and so much more. I used to talk to him every single night at 9:25 (he would check in so I knew he was still OK) and I would do almost anything for one more call.

Back
Top Bottom