Thanks for All the Help With My Writing!

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just wanted to say thanks for the help I've received with plotting and planning my books. I've found that the ER forum has better advice on appliance repair than dedicated appliance forums, better advice on health than dedicated medical forums, etc. I've always figured that it's because people who are smart enough to retire early (or plan an early retirement) are smarter than others on the internet.

The books have been improved by the suggestions I've received here (click for thread examples).

But I also wanted to say that none of the posts I've made requesting help are designed to generate interest in my books or generate sales. I am absolutely not in the writing game to make money.

I post mentions of my new books in the "Creative ERs" thread only to [-]show off[/-] share, and I usually mention when the books will be free on Amazon. When I publish a book that benefited from a specific thread, I add a link to it at the end of that thread.

If anyone would like a free copy of one or more of my books, PM me. I can't put a link to free versions here because it would violate the terms I have with Amazon.

Executive Summary: 1. Thanks. 2. Not trying to profit off my friends.

Last edited:
Al, you're welcome. I think folks here are glad to lend a hand because they know you aren't trying to use them to make a buck.

I enjoy reading your questions and the thoughts they elicit from other members. I don't usually have anything to add, but it's fun to see what everyone else says.

Al, please don't let negative comments detract from your accomplishments. No matter the topic, as we've seen, a minority seem to be driven to impute intentions where there were none.

Best wishes for your writing career.

I think it's fun when you discuss your creative process. :cool:

I get tired just reading all of these plot and conundrums. I can't fathom how you can keep generating them. Soldier on Al.

Fess up, who suggested the outline for your thank you post? ;) :LOL:

I think asking forum members for ideas is great. I like your books.

It drives DH crazy when I am poking holes in weak plot lines and characters in movies, books, and TV shows (it's almost my hobby and I'm annoyingly good at it, or maybe just annoying about it :LOL:) and I just say, "I don't know why these writers don't just come to me first and ask me what they should do.":LOL:

Now I can add, "T-Al does that with the e-r.org board and look how good his books are!"

I too am guilty of the very same which often prompts an eye roll from DW!

Count me in this same group. But I've refined my "talent" (may be a curse?) and have a small hobby business proofreading for a few authors. Gives me a little play money and satisfies my need to be productive.

Thanks, guys.

Every author can't be a Joseph Conrad, who had a dozen different careers that informed his writing. Any author might benefit from our collective curating help. You never know when something you want your characters to do, is exactly the thing that Forum Member X spent 30-50 years learning and doing.

Forum members are also avid readers, who can warn you away from plot lines and situations that another author has already explored in great detail.

Yes I also think you display humility in seeking input. That says a lot about who you are.

I think that it is cool that you ask here, whether you profit from it or not.

some of the members ( like me ) could probably use rhe extra mental stimulation

i am just not as experienced as some in the areas researched

good luck with your books

Back
Top Bottom