The 2032 Button Battery

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The wife's key fob has a dead battery. It takes a 2032 disc or "button" battery.

Seems to me I bought one of these for my 10 year old PC a couple of years ago and I got a 2-pack for $2.99 or thereabouts. A Google search brought up lots of variations in pricing. The most striking is shown below:

Battery-2032-CVS_DigiKey.jpg

Of course, shipping from DigiKey via FedEx Ground is $6.99. However, if I buy 10 batteries from Digikey the price drops to $.343 each, meaning I can get 10 batteries shipped to my house for $10.42.

Target has a 2-pack for $4.59, which is what I will probably end up buying since I need it today.

The 2032 is becoming the new AAA. I always have plenty on hand. Amazing how many devices use them now.

Yes, 2032 is the size on motherboards as the CMOS battery.

I also have rechargeable 2032 and button battery tester. 2032 batteries have a pretty good shelf life but the rechargeable is for a digital caliper that likes to drain batteries.

LOL, other than for my heart rate monitor, I don't think I could use 10 of those batteries over many years (if I even were able to find the extra ones). I bite the bullet and buy the 2 pack at CVS when I need them.

LOL, other than for my heart rate monitor, I don't think I could use 10 of those batteries over many years (if I even were able to find the extra ones). I bite the bullet and buy the 2 pack at CVS when I need them.
You gotta blow some dough, man, and buy some new stuff. :LOL:

I luv to ride too and my little bike computer takes these. So do my key fobs. The big surprises are my scales. The human scale takes two. The kitchen scale takes one.

I go through about 10 per year.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the amazing fact that I am 9.8 miles from the nearest CVS Pharmacy.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the amazing fact that I am 9.8 miles from the nearest CVS Pharmacy.

Why is that amazing? We are 12 miles from the nearest CVS. The nearest chain grocery store is 12 miles in the opposite direction (there is a mom & pop store within eight miles). Just part of living away from suburbs.

Made me look. My CVS is 0.7 miles away. :dance:

OMG there’s like 25 of them within 5 miles! Lol!

Last edited:
Costco has started carrying a 12 pack of Duracell lithium 2032 batteries. I'm not sure what the warehouse pricing is on them.

Agreed that the CR2032 is quite common, so I too buy them in quantity. These are lithium batteries and so have a good shelf life. Certainly I've also seen the phenomenon where you can pay quite a spread per battery, and that for various inexpensive things, shipping costs can change the per-item cost a lot.
I find for these that buying online in modest 'bulk' is the right way to go, parsing carefully somewhat between brand name and price.

I go one step further --- if I'm buying a battery operated device I bias towards one that uses a battery type that I already stock. Sadly, I now also have a small stock of CR1632's, a couple of LR1130's, and even one lone spare "SR626SW" --- for which I can't think of a use right now.
Still, it's mostly CR2032's. Worth keeping a stock on hand.

On the flip side, I almost never use D cell batteries anymore, and rarely C cell, nor 9v for that matter as my newer smoke alarms (supposed to replace these every few years ...) use AA batteries.

and even one lone spare "SR626SW" --- for which I can't think of a use right now.

I've got an answer for you: watch battery. These were very common for quartz wristwatches, especially the analog hand type. I know because I just replaced a few on some old watches I found that I hope to sell (good luck?) at a garage sale.

BTW, on the CR series, the numbers make sense. The "20" means 20mm in diameter. The "32" means 3.2mm thick. I've also seen CR2016s. These typically go in watches, the LCD type. Thinner.

I've got an answer for you: watch battery. These were very common for quartz wristwatches, especially the analog hand type. I know because I just replaced a few on some old watches I found that I hope to sell (good luck?) at a garage sale.

BTW, on the CR series, the numbers make sense. The "20" means 20mm in diameter. The "32" means 3.2mm thick. I've also seen CR2016s. These typically go in watches, the LCD type. Thinner.

Great stuff. I wasn't aware of the dia/thickness nomenclature, I appreciate that!

I also appreciate you looking up this item. In my case, I don't own an analog watch anymore, but I'm sure there is (or was?) some small device somewhere around my house that uses this. Maybe it's even an item I (or my wife) still use, who knows? :)

Great stuff. I wasn't aware of the dia/thickness nomenclature, I appreciate that!

I also appreciate you looking up this item. In my case, I don't own an analog watch anymore, but I'm sure there is (or was?) some small device somewhere around my house that uses this. Maybe it's even an item I (or my wife) still use, who knows? :)

Yeah, it could have a different number like 377. A bunch of different devices cross reference to this SR626SW, and it can replace old technologies like alkaline.

I found the best battery cross reference chart ever. I don't know about this company, but their battery reference chart is the bomb. It also has a wire/cable cross reference too.

The following link lands on the watch battery, but you can choose tabs like "coin" for our CR series to get other cross references. Highly recommended, and more than you want to know about the actual sizes of these things.

https://www.batteriesinaflash.com/watch-battery-cross-reference

Interior of a "keyless" key fob for a 2016 Dodge Charger.

Charger-Key-Fob.jpg

Costco has started carrying a 12 pack of Duracell lithium 2032 batteries. I'm not sure what the warehouse pricing is on them.
$9.99 but sold out online. I plan to get some of these before fob starts giving me side-eye again. Between DH and I we have 4 keys like this, so it's not going to go to waste.

Last time I got a 2 pack at Target, but they were showing online something like $12, on sale for $5. Got to the store and they rang up as $12, so had to go to their CS to get it fixed. PITA, but still.

You gotta blow some dough, man, and buy some new stuff. :LOL:

I luv to ride too and my little bike computer takes these. So do my key fobs. The big surprises are my scales. The human scale takes two. The kitchen scale takes one.

I go through about 10 per year.

LOL, Joe, my bike now is a Peloton (bike that goes nowhere) so no batteries required. Key fobs?? I own two teslas so no KEYS, just my cell phone to operate. I've BTD plenty. LOL

Scales? who weighs themselves these days?

QS and Philliefan, man, you guys live in the boondocks to be THAT far away from a CVS!

I'm in suburban Minneapolis, not in the boondocks, and I happen to know the nearest CVS is about 4 miles from my house. I'm not sure what their store finder was using for my location.

I was at the grocery store just now and I figured I'd see if they had 2032 batteries.

I got lucky. I figure a four pack for $6.99 wasn't too bad, so I pounced on it.

Battery-2032-4Pk-Cub-Foods.jpg

Distance to the nearest CVS:

From my suburban home is 2.5 miles

From my high-country boondocks home is 37 miles

The 37 miles also apply to: Walmart, Home Depot, and grocery stores.

Last edited:
I'm in suburban Minneapolis, not in the boondocks, and I happen to know the nearest CVS is about 4 miles from my house. I'm not sure what their store finder was using for my location.

Without knowing your address, these Web sites use the location of your ISP equipment. In my case, when at my suburban home, that puts me in a city about 20 miles away.

I drive no distance at all to order batteries from Amazon. I stick with name brands that I know and hope they are not counterfeit. So far, so good. I have failed on standardizing button cells, but try to limit my purchases to AA battery devices where I have a choice.

LOL, Joe, my bike now is a Peloton (bike that goes nowhere) so no batteries required. Key fobs?? I own two teslas so no KEYS, just my cell phone to operate. I've BTD plenty. LOL

We have two cars x two drivers = four fobs that uses these batteries, plus we have a few HomeKit temp/humidity sensors around the house that use them. And we have a couple of AirTags which use them. Oh a couple of garage door openers too.

I bet there’s something else too...

Back
Top Bottom