The 2032 Button Battery

C cells are entering the graveyard.

Sure, but what are they used for?

Radios are the only thing I have that use "C" size batteries.

With such low power draw an "AA" in a "C" size adapter works great.

C batteries are rare but I have a faucet that operates by touch that uses batteries. It needs six batteries. It came with an adapter that can use AA batteries but the case is made for C batteries. I went ahead and bought some rechargeable C batteries so that I don’t have to get under the sink and change the batteries as often. The AA were lasting a little less that one year. I don’t know how long the C batteries will last but I’m thinking a few years.

I’m fully switched over to rechargeable batteries now except for my thermometer (for body temp) which takes a 9V.

Or make your own for free. They do work, but certainly wouldn't use for critical applications. :D I use them in bait aerators.

I'm OK with the paper wrap to increase the diameter. But jamming in foil to take up conductor length is a little dicey. But for non-critical stuff, sure, why not?

-ERD50

When you buy multiple batteries from amazon it's a crap shoot on how they'll be packaged. A 8 pack and be 1x8, 2x4, 4x2 or 8x1. I think they fill your order with whatever they got.

C batteries are rare but I have a faucet that operates by touch that uses batteries. It needs six batteries. It came with an adapter that can use AA batteries but the case is made for C batteries. I went ahead and bought some rechargeable C batteries so that I don’t have to get under the sink and change the batteries as often. The AA were lasting a little less that one year. I don’t know how long the C batteries will last but I’m thinking a few years.

I’m fully switched over to rechargeable batteries now except for my thermometer (for body temp) which takes a 9V.

If it's for the kitchen sink I'd probably just buy (or make) a AC to 9VDC adapter for the above since I have an extra outlet available underneath.

Rechargeable C-size cells are as low as 4500 mAh capacity versus 3500 mAh for AA-size Energizer primary lithium batteries...which is why I use the latter in place of C-size batteries.

Last edited:
Rechargeable C-size cells are as low as 4500 mAh capacity versus 3500 mAh for AA-size Energizer primary lithium batteries...which is why I use the latter in place of C-size batteries.

The ones I bought say 5000mAh Ni-MH. That’s at least double the Eneloop AA’s I was using with the adapter.

One problem with this battery is if you ever have any young children visiting - perfect swallowing size. So keep any spare batteries out of their reach.

When you're in a hurry and have a Harbor Freight in town, they have 2032's, four for $3.49. And a 30-pack of smaller types for $2.99. Most of those will expire before you use them....

Otherwise, Amazon.

I've got an answer for you: watch battery. These were very common for quartz wristwatches, especially the analog hand type. I know because I just replaced a few on some old watches I found that I hope to sell (good luck?) at a garage sale.

BTW, on the CR series, the numbers make sense. The "20" means 20mm in diameter. The "32" means 3.2mm thick. I've also seen CR2016s. These typically go in watches, the LCD type. Thinner.

A couple of years ago, we collected all our dead watches, put new batteries in them and donated them. Of course, 4 or the 5 watches had different batteries! Thank goodness for Amazon.

I drive no distance at all to order batteries from Amazon. I stick with name brands that I know and hope they are not counterfeit. So far, so good. I have failed on standardizing button cells, but try to limit my purchases to AA battery devices where I have a choice.

I ordered some CR2025 Duracell batteries from Amazon for my car's key and they were grey market Duracells labeled in Turkish. Still, they seem to work fine.

If it's for the kitchen sink I'd probably just buy (or make) a AC to 9VDC adapter for the above since I have an extra outlet available underneath.

The ones I bought say 5000mAh Ni-MH. That’s at least double the Eneloop AA’s I was using with the adapter.

My main grievance with Ni-MH and NiCad cells is that their self-discharge is high. You charge up a power tool, then two weeks later it is dead.

On the other hand, primary cells (non-rechargeable) have much longer shelf life because their self-discharge is very low, but they are expensive for being non-rechargeable.

Rechargeable lithium cells have an amazing long shelf life. Once a rechargeable lithium cell has a high self-discharge, it is worn out and spent.

Last edited:
My main grievance with Ni-MH and NiCad cells is that their self-discharge is high. You charge up a power tool, then two weeks later it is dead.

On the other hand, primary cells (non-rechargeable) have much longer shelf life because their self-discharge is very low, but they are expensive for being non-rechargeable.

Rechargeable lithium cells have an amazing long shelf life. Once a rechargeable lithium cell has a high self-discharge, it is worn out and spent.

Not eneloop AA/AAA rechargeable low self-discharge (LSD) NiMH batteries.

I'm pulling decade-old ones out of Sanyo-branded packaging that are still ready to go straight out of the package.

The 2032 is becoming the new AAA. I always have plenty on hand. Amazing how many devices use them now.

I used a bunch of them in our last house in window and door sensors for the alarm system.

I just realized one of the biggest consumers of CR2032s in my house: flood sensors.

These little guys have saved my bacon this year (dishwasher and water heater early problem warnings). It is the Orbit system. Each sensor needs a CR2032. They last about 18 months to 2 years. When you have 7 in the house, you realize you need CR2032s on supply.

Yes, 2032 is the size on motherboards as the CMOS battery.

I also have rechargeable 2032 and button battery tester. 2032 batteries have a pretty good shelf life but the rechargeable is for a digital caliper that likes to drain batteries.

Do you use your digital calipers A LOT? Or are you just a victim of the cheap Chinese calipers that continue to drain the battery even when "off"? If so, get a pair of Mitutoyos (if you can ensure they are not knock-offs) and that should solve that problem. Or just remove the battery from the low-cost calipers after each use.

Do you use your digital calipers A LOT? Or are you just a victim of the cheap Chinese calipers that continue to drain the battery even when "off"? If so, get a pair of Mitutoyos (if you can ensure they are not knock-offs) and that should solve that problem. Or just remove the battery from the low-cost calipers after each use.

I don't use digital calipers enough to justify going all out and getting something like Mitutoyos.

My usage is usually about 3-4 times a year.

I had a cheapo Chinese calipers that drained the battery like crazy. Then I bought another (cheapo Chinese II) that had good reviews and owners said didn't drain the battery, but it does.

Yes, an alternative is to take out the battery each time. But that can get old as taking out usually involve unscrewing a tiny screw instead of a better method like sliding off a plastic battery cover.

Now, with a rechargeable 2032 battery, I still end up having to unscrew the battery and also to first pop the battery into my USB 2032 charger (for rechargeables only). But at least I don't have to buy a new battery each time of use.

I did see a couple of hacks where people modified a cheapo to run on an AAA or AA (I forget which) battery. A bit clunky but works if you know what you are doing.

One problem with this battery is if you ever have any young children visiting - perfect swallowing size. So keep any spare batteries out of their reach.

Our last pack of button batteries had a notice that they are coated with a bitter tasting substance to deter kids from putting them in their mouths.

Our last pack of button batteries had a notice that they are coated with a bitter tasting substance to deter kids from putting them in their mouths.

That's becoming more common, but beware. Some small appliances won't work with batteries with that coating.

I buy them at the dollar store. Three in a package usually. 1.25 last time.

Not always in stock...sometimes I have to try another dollar store.

Here's my solution (in pictures). Not ideal as several steps involved and have to unscrew to battery cover, but better I think than having batteries die on me.

Attachments

• charger and battery 2.JPG
    charger and battery 2.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 16
  • charger and battery.JPG
    charger and battery.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
  • works fine.JPG
    works fine.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 16
A rechargeable CR2032?

I've seen everything. It's a miracle!

Thanks for the pictures easysurfer. I was having a hard time imagining a rechargeable button battery. Now I get it.

Here's my solution (in pictures). Not ideal as several steps involved and have to unscrew to battery cover, but better I think than having batteries die on me.

Yeah, I agree it's better than having to run out to buy batteries. How long does it last or how often do you have to charge it?

For me, I don't know if I would have the patience to wait for the charging to complete if I wanted to measure something and pulled out a pair of calipers with dead batteries.

Back
Top Bottom