The 2032 Button Battery

A rechargeable CR2032?

I've seen everything. It's a miracle!

Thanks for the pictures easysurfer. I was having a hard time imagining a rechargeable button battery. Now I get it.

You're welcome. How does that saying go? "A picture is worth a thousand words." I believe :).

Yeah, I agree it's better than having to run out to buy batteries. How long does it last or how often do you have to charge it?

For me, I don't know if I would have the patience to wait for the charging to complete if I wanted to measure something and pulled out a pair of calipers with dead batteries.

After charge, I haven't used the caliper long enough to see how long the charge lasts.

Usually, I do the charging, then put in caliper and do my measuring, then put away til next time. By the next time, the battery is dead and I need a quick recharge.

The recharge time at first took about 30 minutes. Now it takes a matter of minutes for status on charge to go from red to blue. Blue meaning good. I think the change is perhaps the battery is old. But it still has enough juice for me to do my measurement with.

Yes, not ideal. If one of those made in China places ever made a caliper that runs on an AA or AAA battery, I bet that would be a big hit.

... Yes, not ideal. If one of those made in China places ever made a caliper that runs on an AA or AAA battery, I bet that would be a big hit.

The cheap ( $27 in 2019) digital calipers I purchased from Amazon use an LR44 button cell (1.5V alkaline). I had also been warned that it will deplete the cell when left off, and it supposedly helps to set it to zero and lock it, and then shut off - but when I went to use it the other day, it was dead.

Spare LR44 are cheap, but a pain. At least the battery cover just slides off, so I'm removing it between uses now. Like you, I can go months w/o using it, most of the time the cheap mechanical calipers are good enough for what I do. Glad I bought it though, it's nice when I need it.

-ERD50

I used to have the same issue with digital fever thermometers. Infrequently used but when needed, served an important purpose. Unfortunately, the button batteries would be dead when needed and I wasn't about to go and get batteries when I'm home feeling feverish. To solve that problem, I got a good non-contact (kind like a pistol shape that points to the forehead) thermometer that runs on regular AA sized batteries.

Back
Top Bottom