The attack of the Paper Wasps

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No one had been up to the family house in the Poconos in 2 months which is very unusual. We actually prefer the house in the winter. Upon arriving wife and sister-in-law started the and wipe down party. Dust and the occasional bug being the enemy. My sister-in-law saw some white powdery substance on one of the chairs. She looked up OMG some small stains on the ceiling -a leak? She passed the vacuum wand over the spot and bam a small hole appeared? I get up on a step latter and noted by the hole the sheet rock appeared quite think.

We ponder and get up nerve and I open up a 4” by 4” whole to discover wasp nests. Yikes. The SIL and wife hate bugs and were already on edge because of the recent bear activity here. I removed the combs? And covered the hole with duct tape. There are limited supplies and tools here. We have all we need at home to complete the repair. Nothing appeared were but there were a few small stains by the area.

Apparently paper IMG_0354.jpg wasps eat the paper on sheet rock?
Interesting only one bug was found in the nest.

We had that happen at our house once, right after we moved in. Noticed same type "stain" on the ceiling, went to clean it and my hand went through! Luckily, only a few dead bees fell down. We cut out the area, applied a patch, then spackled and painted. Frightening when it first happened, as I have allergy to bees
We have had pest control out a few times for bees in the past--happens with cedar siding and roofs.
New asphalt roof, sealed and painted the house a few years ago and no problems since.

Back
Top Bottom