the book "die with zero"

I'm also a late starter, spent a good portion of my early career on the road as a road warrior and did some crazy stuff with nobody to answer to back then, hence, so much is out of my system (travel, acquiring toys, experiencing fun stuff, etc.).

I get it if you started early and were deprived of this. Explains the varying wish lists.

That's a great way of putting it - we do indeed have some things in common. People ask me what my bucket list is and I really don't have much to tell. I've hit most of the list already either during my crazy and irresponsible 20's or my super-responsible (and somewhat more solvent) 40's and 50's - my 30's were pure nose to grindstone so don't count for much. This, plus having had an exciting and challenging career, and the lifestyle that has afforded, there just isn't a whole lot of delayed gratification to make up for. I would keep on working under the right circumstances - oops I could get banned for saying that. But, I'll probably do some part-time stuff, boards, mentoring/coaching, charitable, etc. Mostly, getting more rest and having more unstructured time is the biggest benefit to the big R for me.

I like that wording better than "Die With Zero". That's cutting it too close! My top financial priority is not outliving my savings but I definitely have "more than enough".

That was my thought. What if you get to zero and you're not dead yet? Maybe you're getting better and want to go for a walk. I feel happy!

But if you could "stick it to the man" and die with a fat debt, that might w*rk. :LOL:

In my previous single life I was also a poker player. I never made the big show but I used to play with all of the older players you see on TV now including Phil Hellmuth when he was a young puppy dog winning his first WSOP. I was able to turn a nice profit but poker was a job and not very enjoyable because I was never going to be world class player, just a fringe player who occasionally made final tables, cashed some nice wins, won some occasional smaller tourneys, etc. I did this while working as a full time engineer, too. Looking back the worst part was I inhaled a lot of second-hand smoke in those days as smoking was permitted back then. I had the math nailed, knew all the odds and could price situations accordingly and made a profit simply by optimizing ROI on situations. The worst part is it was a job and a grind with serious emotional variance. I don't know how these older guys sustain but they have special skills and courage I did not possess. When I got engaged I walked away from it cold turkey and never looked back, haven't played a hand of poker in over 35 years and have no regrets. I still enjoy watching poker on TV but have no urge to buy in and play cards anymore.

I did a few things which were dangerous involving motor sports where I could easily have died, too. I think back about that and still get the chills thinking about it but it is what it is, just thrill seeking because I could afford it at the time.

That's a great way of putting it - we do indeed have some things in common. People ask me what my bucket list is and I really don't have much to tell. I've hit most of the list already either during my crazy and irresponsible 20's or my super-responsible (and somewhat more solvent) 40's and 50's - my 30's were pure nose to grindstone so don't count for much. This, plus having had an exciting and challenging career, and the lifestyle that has afforded, there just isn't a whole lot of delayed gratification to make up for. I would keep on working under the right circumstances - oops I could get banned for saying that. But, I'll probably do some part-time stuff, boards, mentoring/coaching, charitable, etc. Mostly, getting more rest and having more unstructured time is the biggest benefit to the big R for me.

After hearing the buzz about the book I finally started reading the ebook from the library. Only through chapter 2 so far.

First, I didn't realize the author was THE Bill Perkins I watched on poker shows and Youtube videos. Personally, the impression I got was that he came across a bit jerky/annoying. (However, I completely understand that one cannot really know a person through short video clips; it's kind of an unfair representation).

My initial impression of the book is good and I want to keep reading it. I don't think I've gained significant new insight yet/though so I'm kind of aligned with the concepts.

I realize that with the book being titled Die With Zero that there would be a bit of commenting around that idea. However, the main themes that I take away so far are kind of: Balanace and Timing.

Back
Top Bottom