The changing Dog Master relationship- shes got me wrapped around her paw.

We are on our third West Highland Terrier, and we sort of share who is the boss depending on the situation. She does not sleep on our bed, but comes on the couch. She often picks playtime, but has to sit for her food. The breed is a handy size with a great personality, and I wouldn't have any other dog.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My lab is approaching 10 but still going strong. Great companion. Luckily he doesn't get me up middle of the night to let him out but does wake me up at sunrise. But thats okay as he's the boss.

LOVE dogs and love dog stories. I could read these all day. I walk my neighbor's old two-year cocker spaniel sometimes (when she is going away on business). He has a real name; but I call him "sprocket" as a nickname. Seems to fit better.

Sometimes on our walks he climbs up on a gently sloping wall and then puts his paws on my shoulders and his head high above mine. I think he is expressing some confused notion of dominance behavior. Not yet, buddy! I'm still in charge (I think).

-BB

Last edited:
My 12 year old Silky Terrier has always been afraid of loud noises like fireworks and thunder. Winter time is usually peaceful except for occasional fireworks after some sporting event. Well, last night we had thunder snow and it wasn’t peaceful. I spent a good portion of my sleep time on my bedroom floor with my pacing and panting dog. I’ve heard of thunder shirts and I might get one for this summer. My bedroom floor just isn’t as soft as it used to be.

Pepper was never allowed in the LR, DR or bedrooms. So no interruptions. She knew she had to last the night...

My 12 year old Silky Terrier has always been afraid of loud noises like fireworks and thunder. Winter time is usually peaceful except for occasional fireworks after some sporting event. Well, last night we had thunder snow and it wasn’t peaceful. I spent a good portion of my sleep time on my bedroom floor with my pacing and panting dog. I’ve heard of thunder shirts and I might get one for this summer. My bedroom floor just isn’t as soft as it used to be.
I've had friends tell me they make a huge difference for their dogs. Good luck.

We used a thunder shirt for our English pointer 10+ years ago. Seemed to help a little bit for a while but lost its effectiveness. Best thing DW found is a product called Composure. She recommends it to her training clients. All natural to boot.

My dog is a rescue; got him in 2012. He is a mutt but probably part Australian Shepherd. He is 40 pounds of smarts, personality and energy. We talk to him like he's a person and he responds correctly to so many words/phrases. He makes me smile every day - his enthusiasm when we come home, funny things he does. He carries toys up and down to different rooms all day. He loves squeaky toys, and LOVES going for walks and being outside. If we are working from home, he tries to get extra walks. He'll sit on the couch but he's picky about it; sometimes he'll sit next to my partner, sometimes he'll stare at us until we separate so he can sit between us, or make us move over so he can sit next to me. He just stares at the spot he wants to sit and then waits. He gets up at 6:30 on the dot every day, just before my alarm goes off, because he knows it's walk time. I don't know why I set the alarm at all....but the one thing I can't teach him is the concept of a weekend and sleeping in...

He rules over us, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Love him so much!

16402938816_6877f2679d_o.jpg

I'm dog fodder.

24337471476_78c5827193_o.jpg

Sleeping like a human.

IT's difficult to tell from the photo but I don't think he/she has an alarm set. It's a dog's life. As an aside, I often told my now adult kids, never date anyone that can't appreciate animals.

We took our dog to the vet today to discuss his pain issues. Vet gave us some new meds for him but told us once they start having chronic pain, they become a lot more prone to snipping at people. He recommended we keep a close eye on him and don’t allow strangers to touch him. This is really sad for me because he’s been a certified therapy dog for over 5 years and until recently was super sweet to all people. The vet said he can’t help it. He said his quality of life is still good and can be managed but that once they start having chronic pain, you can’t trust them not to snip. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom