The Drone Ranger

TargaDave said:
I'll add a couple of points:
  • you don't have to start your own business, you can go work for someone else's small company and achieve the same thing without the same level of risk.  I did it twice before accidentally starting my own company
  • Startups fail all the time and there is plenty to fret-bitch about but the nonfinancial rewards can be absolutely amazing
  • Highs for me
        - going from an idea on paper to a widget somebody is actually willing to pay us $2M for
        - creating a entity that takes on its own life. I have co-workers way more gungho than me
        - traveling the world, champion customers, long term friendships, Friday beer sessions 
  • Lows
        - always 6 months away from disaster
        - getting tossed around by customers and investors

You develop thick skin early on and the lows become more of a nuisance.

It's discouraging to see people list umpteen reasons for not being able to leave megacorp and then moan on about the insanity while testing Firecalc 50 different ways. It's like a wasted first half of your life.  Ever notice that many successful US small businesses are run by recent immigrants?  Ever wonder why there are so few business owners frequenting this site?  Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.   

Excellent post! Although I worked for a couple of small
companies that were financial basket cases
(kind of a specialty of mine), the one company that I
started and the one that I bought both did quite well.
IMHO, many many would-be entreprenuers don't do their
homework, or are just clueless. I recall when I went in for
financing to buy my manufacturing company, the bank president said it was the most complete business plan
he had ever seen. I just threw it together, which reveals
something about what he was used to getting.

JG

TargaDave said:
. . .Sorry if I ruffled some feathers.   
No ruffled feathers here, TD. I think your choice is great for you -- and for some others too. It simply isn't a great choice for everyone. I would never have been able to find the job satisfaction in my own start-up that I found in a large company. If you enjoy commanding huge resources to develop sophisticated technical systems, a start-up ain't gonna cut it.

:) :) :)

I'll pop back in on this thread - I believe that one has to decide what works for them and then make a conscious decision to do just that. If you don't believe you can start your own business and succeed, then find an employment atmosphere that will work for you. Complaining about it and then assuming that's the way the world is generally only delivers what you believe and expect.

I've worked in many different corporate environments and have found that when I'm honest with myself as to what my expectations are and what the gap is with reality and what I've contributed to it, I make much better decisions: example, people who engage in research are generally (yes, a generalization) not the same types of people/personalities you would see working in a production line or more operationally flavored environment. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just what it is. What's important is that one realizes what environment they like and seeks that out -- thereby maximizing their happiness and the overall environment (the corporation for lack of a better word).

Soapbox retired on this one :)

Bridget

Randumb thoughts...

I once had a small business, but smoked all the profits... :eek:

After 30+ years in the work force, it's all starting to suck... :-\

If it was fun, they wouldn't call it work!! ;)

deserat said:
I'll pop back in on this thread - I believe that one has to decide what works for them and then make a conscious decision to do just that.  If you don't believe you can start your own business and succeed, then find an employment atmosphere that will work for you.  Complaining about it and then assuming  that's the way the world is generally only delivers what you believe and expect.

I've worked in many different corporate environments and have found that when I'm honest with myself as to what my expectations are and what the gap is with reality and what I've contributed to it, I make much better decisions:  example, people who engage in research are generally (yes, a generalization) not the same types of people/personalities you would see working in a production line or more operationally flavored environment.  It's not bad, it's not good, it's just what it is.  What's important is that one realizes what environment they like and seeks that out -- thereby maximizing their happiness and the overall environment (the corporation for lack of a better word).

Soapbox retired on this one :)

Bridget

Right on, but remember, you often don't discover what you like in terms of a work environment until you've been in several work environments that you don't like. Also, it's not so easy to move from an unpleasant work environment to one that you like. The main problem is finding one that you like in to which you can move, which, naturally, isn't usually obvious until you've moved into the new environment. It's sort of like the problem of needing a job to get experience, but not being able to get one because you don't have experience.

I do, however, generally agree with the proposition that if you're more comfortable with books and machines, you probably won't do well in a sales position. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom