The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad there is still a choice in our country for those who prefer living like they want.

That is the whole answer. Freedom is eroding, politicians want to force an agenda and rules on others. If you choose to live in dense urban city center and ride the bus or subway, have at it. If you choose to live in the country and require a vehicle to get places, have at it. Just allow people to be able to make their own choice, not one forced by politicians. This trickles down to EVs, renewable energy, and more. If an EV is a good choice for your needs, then go get one and drive wherever makes you happy. If it does not meet your needs, then stick with conventional or hybrid. I just do not want govt forcing anyone by eliminating choices for their personal transportation.

^^^^
Yep!

^^^^Yep*2. EV or ICE - depends on the person and their driving habits. And I don't want to be forced into habits defined by others.

I can see an EV being a good choice for the way DW drives. Almost all local - can plug in at night. Never have to go to a gas station or supercharger.

I can't see an EV being a good choice for me - I would need to find a charger on my travels where there isn't one or where it's inconvenient.

Last edited:
Agree with the previous few comments about freedom.

Make the product compelling for all and they'll come.

I will say that the most recent products are getting more enticing. As charging improves and becomes universal, I could join the club.

^^^^Yep*2. EV or ICE - depends on the person and their driving habits. And I don't want to be forced into habits defined by others...

Or neither.

My nephew who is a pharmacist working in Manhattan and having his home in Queens does not have a car. No place to park it.

^^^^Yep*2. EV or ICE - depends on the person and their driving habits. And I don't want to be forced into habits defined by others.

I can see an EV being a good choice for the way DW drives. Almost all local - can plug in at night. Never have to go to a gas station or supercharger.

I can't see an EV being a good choice for me - I would need to find a charger on my travels where there isn't one or where it's inconvenient.

+1 to the above.

We tried going with a single ICE vehicle after I sold my truck but found that didn't work well for us - 50+ years as a two car family is habit forming. We now have an EV (home charging) for in/around town driving and a hybrid for both in town and road trips. Works great for us - YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Tesla's problems are mounting. South Korea levied a fine on the company for false advertising on the car's range. It had to do with cold weather performance. According to this Reuter article, an EV may lose 40% of range in cold weather, but Tesla cars are worse at 50%.

EV owners living in cold climate need to be aware of this. For people living in locations where nighttime temperature rarely drops below freezing, this is not a problem.

See: https://www.reuters.com/markets/com...ln-exaggerating-driving-range-evs-2023-01-03/

Last edited:
Nobody is going to prevent you from owning and operating a gas or diesel car for the rest of your lives.

You might not be able to register a new one in 2030 or 2035, depending on where you live.

Or you can move to places like Texas, which will always have a big ICE market.

Probably not too many EVs in the Exxon parking lots there, if there ever will be.

Maybe people about 70-80 years ago were grousing about no longer being able to use their horse and buggy in certain townships, as car ownership ramped up and people didn't want to deal with horses in their town.

That must have been difficult, the freedom they lost to pollute the roads.;)

Nobody is going to prevent you from owning and operating a gas or diesel car for the rest of your lives.

You might not be able to register a new one in 2030 or 2035, depending on where you live.

Or you can move to places like Texas, which will always have a big ICE market.

Probably not too many EVs in the Exxon parking lots there, if there ever will be.

Maybe people about 70-80 years ago were grousing about no longer being able to use their horse and buggy in certain townships, as car ownership ramped up and people didn't want to deal with horses in their town.

This whole post is ridiculous. Your second sentence contradicts your first. Which is it? Nobody will prevent me from owning one OR I won't be able to register it? If I can't register it (ie drive it) then why would I own it? You are saying that in order to exercise my freedom, I may have to move to another state. Unless the feds restrict ICE ownership/registration. Very few locations where a person can't use a horse and buggy. I see them daily here in Southern MD and when I go visit family in PA.

You must not have any Amish around where you live. They are thriving and their communities are growing as they continue to depend on horse and buggies.

Nobody tells them how to live their lives.

You must not have any Amish around where you live. They are thriving and their communities are growing as they continue to depend on horse and buggies.

Nobody tells them how to live their lives.

I have visited the Amish country some years ago when I spent time in Philadelphia.

Yes, that will solve the problem with ICE cars and EVs. Horses eat grass, and the manure goes back into the soil. All organic, and no industrial pollution.

Rough calculation suggests about $1500/yr in charging costs. Plus your Tesla initial cost is higher. EV's work for some people in some cases. I've been looking at hybrids. Not ready to pull the trigger yet.

Nope. Free chargers from Volta, city provided chargers as well as a few hundred free chargers at my kids university.

If I had an ICE car I'd be out 20K. Instead its in my bank account.

I mentioned this because the fellow upthread mentioned "no monetary value".

I guess to him my 20K in fuel savings in my bank account doesn't exist.

Nope. Free chargers from Volta, city provided chargers as well as a few hundred free chargers at my kids university.

If I had an ICE car I'd be out 20K. Instead its in my bank account.

I mentioned this because the fellow upthread mentioned "no monetary value".

I guess to him my 20K in fuel savings in my bank account doesn't exist.

Sounds like a great situation for you. I believe just like the mortgage and SS discussions, it depends. DW and I would probably do well with one EV. She mostly drives local. If we drive non local, I do 95% of that driving. I'm not a good rider. So maybe one ICE/Hybrid and one EV in the future. We'll see.

This whole post is ridiculous. Your second sentence contradicts your first. Which is it? Nobody will prevent me from owning one OR I won't be able to register it? If I can't register it (ie drive it) then why would I own it? You are saying that in order to exercise my freedom, I may have to move to another state. Unless the feds restrict ICE ownership/registration. Very few locations where a person can't use a horse and buggy. I see them daily here in Southern MD and when I go visit family in PA.

Buy a car the last year before they stop registering ICE.

Problem solved.

There will be plenty of used gas cars most of the rest of this century.

I have visited the Amish country some years ago when I spent time in Philadelphia.

Yes, that will solve the problem with ICE cars and EVs. Horses eat grass, and the manure goes back into the soil. All organic, and no industrial pollution.

The manure stays on paid roads. Then dries and gets blown around as dust.

Agree with the previous few comments about freedom.

Make the product compelling for all and they'll come.

+1

Think about our modern cell phones. Nobody forced us to buy cell phones by making it illegal to sell the then current POTS phones that had a line into our homes. We bought cell phones, then smart cell phones, then pocket computers that also handled phone calls, and then found we didn't need our old land line POTS phone.

We can do the same with green energy, EVs, etc.

+1

Think about our modern cell phones. Nobody forced us to buy cell phones by making it illegal to sell the then current POTS phones that had a line into our homes. We bought cell phones, then smart cell phones, then pocket computers that also handled phone calls, and then found we didn't need our old land line POTS phone.

We can do the same with green energy, EVs, etc.

Your old land line phone didn't emit cancer causing fumes.

That's why this situation is different, and being resolved in a different manner.

Last edited:
Strong Hint, golf carts do't do well in crash test at 31 MPH.
Not sure if EV or ICE, likely does not matter.

"Many places in the U.S. will allow these carts on public roads as "neighborhood vehicles" on streets with speed limits of 35 mph or slower. It's important to remember that these crashes happened at those speeds, and they share the road with other full-size cars too. So next time you take a golf cart up to speed, remember this video."

https://www.thedrive.com/news/golf-cart-crash-test-is-absolute-carnage-even-at-just-30-mph

The manure stays on paid roads. Then dries and gets blown around as dust.

But, but, but that dust is all organic, and does not contain lead, mercury and other heavy metals as the industrial pollution does.

And when energy is scarce as it was in Europe 100 years ago, people will scoop up the animal droppings to dry, then burn as a heat source. People even cooked with cow dung, and some areas in the world still do.

The idea that the government should not restrict what we do with vehicles is unrealistic.

There are currently many many restrictions and have been for decades.

We operate within what we are allowed to do like it or not. EV ICE will be no different.

But, but, but that dust is all organic, and does not contain lead, mercury and other heavy metals as the industrial pollution does.

And when energy is scarce as it was in Europe 100 years ago, people will scoop up the animal droppings to dry, then burn as a heat source. People even cooked with cow dung, and some areas in the world still do.

In 1900, nearly 500 tons of horse manure were collected from the streets of New York every day, produced by 62,208 horses living in 1,307 stables. The manure, along with human waste, was deposited on Barren Island, where it was converted into fertilizer in a process said to be "not inoffensive" to residents on the Long Island shore.
https://www.nyhistory.org/community/horse-manure

A simple model of 'typical' cumulative fuel, depreciation and interest costs cost of ICE v EV shows:

• ICE less cost at first due to smaller price, then,
  • EV approaching similar cost after ~ 10 years due to smaller EV fuel cost.
Distance travelled / y relative to average; cost per distance:

• More; EV costs less
  • Less; ICE costs less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom