The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I’ll be in the market for a new EV when my lease runs out in a month.

Probably won’t tow anything unless I BTD a boat, which is unlikely.

For little ones, but any sailboat of any size also has a gasoline engine.
FWIW gas engines are rare on "sailboats of any size," they're all diesels. And electric only sailboats are already on the market from several suppliers, but still in the early adopter phase to be sure. Torqueedo outboards and OceanVolt and Vetus electric motors in various forms to name a few. And the Sailing Uma couple has sailed 18K miles in 22 countries with nothing but an electric motor and solar charging on their 36' sailboat so far.

Last edited:
FWIW gas engines are rare on "sailboats of any size," they're all diesels.
You’re right for the big ones. Around here there a lots of, let's say, midsized sailboats that have small outboard gas engines.

And electric only sailboats are already on the market from several suppliers...

I've seen a couple of electric Jetskis advertised too, but they seem to be only available outside the US so far and very expensive. Basically experimental.

Electric motors are powerful. The limitation is always the battery to provide them with the juice.

Here's an electric surfboard.

Home_still_1200x1200.jpg

Here's an electric jetski for $24K.

Taiga-Orca-Front.jpg

Here's an electric boat going for more than $300K. It has a 120-kWh battery.

x-shore-header.jpg

The other day, I saw on the Web this electric catamaran. The price is $1.6 million.

prm-silent-55.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW gas engines are rare on "sailboats of any size," they're all diesels. And electric only sailboats are already on the market from several suppliers, but still in the early adopter phase to be sure. Torqueedo outboards and OceanVolt and Vetus electric motors in various forms to name a few. And the Sailing Uma couple has sailed 18K miles in 22 countries with nothing but an electric motor and solar charging on their 36' sailboat so far.
We had a tiny outboard motor on our C&C 24, but we hated it so much (noisy, smelly, hard to start) that we got very very good at sailing in and out of our slip without using it at all, just wind.

That EELEX 8000 is actually 300K euros, not dollars. It has a 225 kW motor, capable of 35 knots top speed, and a range of 100 nm at low speeds. The battery is 120 kWh, as mentioned earlier.

If the price is too much, then electric is not for you. :)

Last edited:
By the way, if you buy the electric catamaran above (the $1.6M one shown is the smallest in the family - they have a larger one at 2x the price), you will need an electric dinghy.

Here it is. The motor is a long cylindrical design that is built inside the pole. Very clever.

ima-electric-motor-dingy-temo-32770.jpg

This electric outboard motor called the Temo electric motogodile can be purchased for 1450 euros. I guess the battery pack is extra.

electric-motor-dingy-temo-2.jpg

Interesting thread ... just a brief "hi" to say my wife and I love our little Ford C-Max plug-in hybrid. Got it used for $11,500 after thieves swiped the catalytic converter from our Prius. We installed two EV chargers at the house even though we have only one car. :) Definitely the wave of the future ... love it.

That EELEX 8000 is actually 300K euros, not dollars. It has a 225 kW motor, capable of 35 knots top speed, and a range of 100 nm at low speeds. The battery is 120 kWh, as mentioned earlier.

If the price is too much, then electric is not for you. :)

Seems like that boat only has room for maybe a handful of people?

How much would a gas or diesel boat that size cost?

Or can €300k buy you a boat with actual cabin space below?

Seems like that boat only has room for maybe a handful of people?

How much would a gas or diesel boat that size cost?

Or can €300k buy you a boat with actual cabin space below?

I am not a boater, but venture a guess that a spanking new boat like that would go for $30-40k if it were not electric.

But then, we are talking about a 120-kWh lithium battery here with that EELEX boat. Batteries like that don't grow on trees.

It just costs a little more to be green.

Last edited:
We moved to electric last month with a Tesla MYLR. We haven't taken a long road trip yet, but really enjoy this technology so far. At 63+ years old, I don't see myself going back to a gas-powered vehicle ever again. I ordered it with the tow hitch primarily for the bike rack.

Attachments

• 6E969624-9B9B-47A9-BB60-022D7C6CA713_4_5005_c.jpeg
    6E969624-9B9B-47A9-BB60-022D7C6CA713_4_5005_c.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 37
We moved to electric last month with a Tesla MYLR. We haven't taken a long road trip yet, but really enjoy this technology so far. At 63+ years old, I don't see myself going back to a gas-powered vehicle ever again. I ordered it with the tow hitch primarily for the bike rack.
Very nice.

I have one that looks almost like it except it's a stealth performance model.

It's certainly different from an ICE vehicle. We have a Rubicon as our second vehicle and it's hard to drive now. I have almost stepped out of it before putting it in it park more than once. Why do I need to put it in park anyway? I made my intention clear by stopping and opening the door. Don't get me started about starting the engine.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Prius Prime and am delighted with it's performance. Being retired, I rarely go more than 30 mi/day. Have had if for several months now and the fuel gauge shows the tank is 7/8 full. Plug the vehicle into the 120V outlet overnight and it's ready to go the next morning. I took a long trip of over 560 miles and got 64 MPG.
I like the fact the batteries are warranted for 150K miles.

I recently purchased a Prius Prime and am delighted with it's performance. Being retired, I rarely go more than 30 mi/day. Have had if for several months now and the fuel gauge shows the tank is 7/8 full..

You might want to add some STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer. Gasoline can degrade significantly sitting in a tank for six months.

Congrats, I’m jealous. Probably my next car will be a Model Y sometime in the next couple years, waiting on 4680 (structural) batteries and better paint, fit and finish.

Congrats !
How long have you waited for it?

I am in CA SF and already 2 months in waiting :(

In preparation for an upcoming RV trip I was checking the rates at an overnight stop where we frequently stay going to/from Colorado. Noticed something new on the rates page.

Guess those 50 amp hookups in RV parks are a new revenue opportunity.

"Bob's RV Park and Charging Station"

Attachments

• EV rates.JPG
    EV rates.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 39
In preparation for an upcoming RV trip I was checking the rates at an overnight stop where we frequently stay going to/from Colorado. Noticed something new on the rates page.

Hey, they are on to something!

I read a blog where the Tesla owner was enjoying KOA cabins and able to charge the car overnight.

However, a lot of Hilton properties offer chargers for guests, so I’m not sure I’d feel compelled to stay at a KOA.

Tesla superchargers are quite well provided along major interstates, even heading out I-10 west in a very low population area of TX. Those aren’t free either.

There's a person filling a need.

I was quoted $10 for all the battery could hold locally but then a free charger opened up at the river(wasn't my problem a couple was on their first road trip and got turned around). In this area Superchargers are pretty rare but there's all kinds of campgrounds, level 2 charging in public areas and some fast DC chargers that need a $450-$750 adapter to charge from CHAdeMO or CCS to Tesla. Standards are a great thing. [emoji106]

There's a person filling a need.

I was quoted $10 for all the battery could hold locally but then a free charger opened up at the river(wasn't my problem a couple was on their first road trip and got turned around). In this area Superchargers are pretty rare but there's all kinds of campgrounds, level 2 charging in public areas and some fast DC chargers that need a $450-$750 adapter to charge from CHAdeMO or CCS to Tesla. Standards are a great thing. [emoji106]

What will the future be? Will it be the driver / car that needs to have a trunk or flunk full of adapters, or the chargers that can serve any car’s connection? I wonder!

On side note: Has anyone heard from TromboneAl, who started this thread? I miss his posts and comments.
I hope all is OK.

I don't know the commercial rate that RV parks pay for electricity, but the worst case of a Tesla P100D sucking up 100 kWh will cost them $15 if the rate is 15c/kWh.

Will I live long enough to see electric motorhomes with 1,000-kWh battery? That's $150 to charge one up, and a lot more in CA. No way RV parks will let you suck up so much juice free of charge. They are not stupid.

Last edited:
What will the future be? Will it be the driver / car that needs to have a trunk or flunk full of adapters, or the chargers that can serve any car’s connection? I wonder!
The future of panhandling. Guy has a collection of adapters hanging out at Chargepoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom