The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me having to plug in to charge and unplug before leaving on each trip at home seems more inconvenient than just filling up at a nearby gas station every few weeks.

If you're just doing ~20 mile daily trips and have an EV with a 300 mile range then you don't need to charge it every night. Don't have an EV but would imagine for most the cable at home is right next to the car, might take 15 seconds to plug/unplug, certainly not an inconvenience.

Not owning an EV, I've wondered about this. On one hand, not going to the gas station, and standing in the cold sometimes, or just 'wasting time' standing around on a nice day, is certainly a plus.

But plugging in when I get home is somewhat of an inconvenience, and I'd have to do it far more often than getting gas (I'd want to keep it near topped off, just in case I needed to make an unexpected long trip, which is not usually a problem with an ICE, just go fill up). Most of the time, when I get out of the car, I've got something in my hand - I went shopping, I picked up the mail, etc. It's a little inconvenient to grab a cord and plug it in.

Overall, I would still think the EV has the advantage here, but I just don't think it's a 100% advantage, maybe 70-30? Not a deal breaker by any means, just a thought.

I like the idea of a simple robotic arm that would plug in autonomously. Doesn't seem that difficult, if you park within a fairly consistent space, a simple arm should be able to extend, find a target, and make contact.

-ERD50

I like the idea of a simple robotic arm that would plug in autonomously. Doesn't seem that difficult, if you park within a fairly consistent space, a simple arm should be able to extend, find a target, and make contact.

-ERD50
Is a charging pad on your garage floor, similar to charging pads for phones, at all feasible? Battery pack too high? Sorry if this has been brought up before, I've browsed the thread a few times but have skipped pages sometimes.

I keep my Miata on a trickle charge, so I connect/disconnect that about every time I drive. That's not my everyday charger, but it's no big deal to me, especially since the battery is conveniently in the truck. It's two cords, one that stays on the battery terminals and the other plugged into the wall, so it's just a simple matter of connecting the other ends and clipping onto the trunk latch for grounding. Point is I think you'd get accustomed to unplugging the charger before driving.

If you're just doing ~20 mile daily trips and have an EV with a 300 mile range then you don't need to charge it every night. Don't have an EV but would imagine for most the cable at home is right next to the car, might take 15 seconds to plug/unplug, certainly not an inconvenience.

emphasis added above....

I think you should say for most homeowners with private parking area. There is still the problem of apartment renters and condo owners who have to deal with the restrictions of a shared parking area.

Since I don't have to do all this now is seems like an inconvenience to me.

Since I don't have to do all this now is seems like an inconvenience to me.

We find it just the opposite. Having to go to a gas station is inconvenient, when all I have to do is plug my car in. For us, the cable is right next to the parking spot and all I have to do is hit the charging door opener and plug in.

With a gas station, it smells, I have to pay at the pump, or worse yet, go in the store. And I have to monitor my fuel level.

Trust me charging at home is 100% better. Everyday I leave with a full tank!

This is probably the same argument when it was Horses to ICE!

If you like riding your horse, no one can sell you on ICE.

If you like ICE, no one can sell you on a horse.

Is a charging pad on your garage floor, similar to charging pads for phones, at all feasible? Battery pack too high? Sorry if this has been brought up before, I've browsed the thread a few times but have skipped pages sometimes.

I keep my Miata on a trickle charge, so I connect/disconnect that about every time I drive. That's not my everyday charger, but it's no big deal to me, especially since the battery is conveniently in the truck. It's two cords, one that stays on the battery terminals and the other plugged into the wall, so it's just a simple matter of connecting the other ends and clipping onto the trunk latch for grounding. Point is I think you'd get accustomed to unplugging the charger before driving.
Interesting notion. Not sure if it's technically feasible but for me it would have to handle several inches of mud that comes in during mud season.

It's really easy to plug in. I walk to the back of the vehicle grab a cable with my non-dominant hand and plug in as I walk around the vehicle. Takes about 10-15 seconds.

This is probably the same argument when it was Horses to ICE!

If you like riding your horse, no one can sell you on ICE.

If you like ICE, no one can sell you on a horse.
True and if cars were primarily all electric, the idea of hauling around 20 or 30 gallons of dangerous gasoline would have have people in an absolute fit. And don't get me started on carbon monoxide, oil changes and general complexity of extra moving parts. Change is hard.

We find it just the opposite. Having to go to a gas station is inconvenient, when all I have to do is plug my car in. For us, the cable is right next to the parking spot and all I have to do is hit the charging door opener and plug in.

With a gas station, it smells, I have to pay at the pump, or worse yet, go in the store. And I have to monitor my fuel level.

Trust me charging at home is 100% better. Everyday I leave with a full tank!

I may end up buying an ev/phev eventually.
Good effort but I don't think you will convince me it is less work.
In our state they pump the gas for you, for us about every 3 weeks.
Our charger would be outdoors so would have to connect/disconnect in bad weather whereas our gas station is covered and we don't get out.
Monitoring the range or need to charge would also be frequent like a phone.
Our hybrid averages 45/mpg and has a range of about 550 miles.

... Change is hard.

Change is easy when there are overwhelming positives.

When there are significant pros/cons, and those pros/cons are different for different people, it's not so straightforward as some would like to believe.

-ERD50

Is a charging pad on your garage floor, similar to charging pads for phones, at all feasible? Battery pack too high? Sorry if this has been brought up before, I've browsed the thread a few times but have skipped pages sometimes...

Several companies are working on a wireless induction charger. Below is an example by Qualcomm.

Of course, the EV must be equipped with the appropriate hardware.

Wireless-EV-Charging-Available-in-18-Months-2-Years.jpg

True and if cars were primarily all electric, the idea of hauling around 20 or 30 gallons of dangerous gasoline would have have people in an absolute fit. And don't get me started on carbon monoxide, oil changes and general complexity of extra moving parts. Change is hard.

Well said Travelover. There are those that will never change and keep on transporting their gasoline and having to go to gas stations.

Not only do I pass on the gas stations, I don't charge at home anymore either. Last time I did was March of '21. I get FREE electricity at public chargers. The city of Pasadena has free chargers. A company called Volta has free chargers (400 in my area, 500 in the Northeast). And my kids university has 200 or so I have used. Whether I'm at a restaurant, grocery store, gym, whatever I plug in and unplug when I'm done with my business. Today was gym day, I plugged in at 63% and unplugged at 93%.

If you can plug in your phone to charge it, you can handle charging your car.

Interesting notion. Not sure if it's technically feasible but for me it would have to handle several inches of mud that comes in during mud season.

It's really easy to plug in. I walk to the back of the vehicle grab a cable with my non-dominant hand and plug in as I walk around the vehicle. Takes about 10-15 seconds.
True, the pad itself could get dirty and so is the underside of the car.

I was thinking more about forgetting to plug in rather than the effort. Once in awhile I'll forget to charge my cell phone at home, but I have a fast charger in my car so I can get it to a usable battery charge pretty quickly. And I have multiple chances to notice my phone is low since I usually have it on or near me. With a car, once I leave the garage I'm unlikely to go past it again to see that I forgot to plug it in. Of course you don't have to plug in a car every day unless you had a long drive and are leaving on one. I'm just trying to justify my soon-to-be patented :LOL: garage charging pad for an EV, that is unlikely to work at all.

True, the pad itself could get dirty and so is the underside of the car.

I was thinking more about forgetting to plug in rather than the effort. Once in awhile I'll forget to charge my cell phone at home, but I have a fast charger in my car so I can get it to a usable battery charge pretty quickly. And I have multiple chances to notice my phone is low since I usually have it on or near me. With a car, once I leave the garage I'm unlikely to go past it again to see that I forgot to plug it in. Of course you don't have to plug in a car every day unless you had a long drive and are leaving on one. I'm just trying to justify my soon-to-be patented [emoji23] garage charging pad for an EV, that is unlikely to work at all.
I'd be a really cool thing for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm probably a corner case in the condition of the road. It's awesome for about 40 weeks a year and the rest is yuck.

Several companies are working on a wireless induction charger. Below is an example by Qualcomm.

Of course, the EV must be equipped with the appropriate hardware.

Of course, any wireless charger will have some additional losses, so even more electricity will be required. That's why I kind of prefer a simple robotic connection (assuming it could be simple).

-ERD50

Wow, Winnebago announced the 1st EV motorhome. It has an 86-kWh battery, which gives a 125-mile range. A fast charge to 80% will take 40 minutes.

No mention of price or production timeline.

It will be a while before you can drive one to Alaska.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/new...rst-electric-camper-van/ar-AAT3I2a?li=BBnbfcL

PS. The 86-kWh battery capacity is comparable to a Tesla Model Y. Of course, the motorhome is heavier and not as aerodynamic, hence the range is halved, just like with ICE vehicles.

AAT3RWS.img

Thor industries also just announced at the same Florida RV super show a concept which also includes a fuel cell and solar panels with a claimed range of 300 miles:)

They also debuted a concept Airstream eSTREAM which is an electrified travel trailer that can be towed behind Ev's and it electrifies and propels its own axle thus not subtracting from the parent EV range?

"Thor Industries also used a Transit as the basis for its Vision Vehicle concept. But it also included a fuel cell and solar roof, allowing for 300 miles of range or the ability to run onboard equipment for up to seven days, the company claims. This concept also has a low-flow shower and faucets to conserve water.
Thor Industries also included more tech, such as a 5G connection, voice recognition, and a bevy of touchscreens. The company is also the parent of Airstream, and unveiled an electrified Airstream trailer concept at the same show."
https://youtu.be/l-jExmPklKs

That's certainly your opinion. It's a personal thing...my most fun car to drive was my Corvette roadster. (and I have driven a Tesla 3)

I agree my 93 RX-7 was more fun to drive than either my Model S or the 3.
Despite the Tesla being quite a bit quicker than the RX-7.

On the other hand, my RX-7 was a very impractical car. I constantly had to choose between getting toilet paper/paper towels at Costco or a case of beer, cause both wouldn't fit. Never had that problem with Model 3. My model S was so big and powerful. that I hauled 2,500 lbs of ceramic tiles, up my super steep hill. Try doing that in your Vette.

I do think Teslas are more fun to drive than any 4 door passenger sedans

I agree my 93 RX-7 was more fun to drive than either my Model S or the 3.
Despite the Tesla being quite a bit quicker than the RX-7.

On the other hand, my RX-7 was a very impractical car. I constantly had to choose between getting toilet paper/paper towels at Costco or a case of beer, cause both wouldn't fit. Never had that problem with Model 3. My model S was so big and powerful. that I hauled 2,500 lbs of ceramic tiles, up my super steep hill. Try doing that in your Vette.

I do think Teslas are more fun to drive than any 4 door passenger sedans

My Corvette was not a practical car eithrt, but I didn't buy it to do practical things. It was a fun sports car.

I would find it pretty convenient to charge up my car in the garage. I'd plug it in and it would sit there for a couple of days or more before getting used.

I buy gas about once a month for each vehicle, and don't have a regular schedule like to/from work. So I don't have a regular place and know the price of gas when I go to get it.
I use gas buddy to find a place, then plan a day to do something near and buy the gas.
Sometimes I have to wait to get a spot or some guy pulls up behind me anxious to get gas, as we all found the low price station :facepalm:

emphasis added above....

I think you should say for most homeowners with private parking area. There is still the problem of apartment renters and condo owners who have to deal with the restrictions of a shared parking area.
That's my frustration. I'm excited about the future of electric vehicles, but as an apartment renter I'm becoming more and more resigned to the possibility I will never own one.

If EV adoption continues as optimists project (like me), apartments and condos will have chargers available. But that probably won’t be common in the next few years, further out. Some already do https://www.dfwapartmentnerdz.com/features/electric-car-charging-stations

It will take a while. We don't have enough workers to build structures, let alone retrofit millions of parking spaces which is very labor and capital intensive.

They'll start with a few spaces people have to compete for. Upscale apartments with carports or garages will also be front of line.

Which begs the question about affordability. How long until this infrastructure moves down the line to the hard working people feeding us, stocking our shelves, and picking our crops?

It will take a while. We don't have enough workers to build structures, let alone retrofit millions of parking spaces which is very labor and capital intensive.

They'll start with a few spaces people have to compete for. Upscale apartments with carports or garages will also be front of line.

Which begs the question about affordability. How long until this infrastructure moves down the line to the hard working people feeding us, stocking our shelves, and picking our crops?

It depends. I know people who specifically choose apartment complexes that have the availability to plug-in. There aren't a lot, but they do exist.

I agree it will take a while before all apartments have them, but it will happen.
In general, the higher priced apartments will install this first. There are some mid-priced ones that will also be near the front of the wave.

As for it being most convenient for owners with a garage, I won't worry about that until the EV market approaches the number of garages in the USA.

I buy gas about once a month for each vehicle, and don't have a regular schedule like to/from work. So I don't have a regular place and know the price of gas when I go to get it.
I use gas buddy to find a place, then plan a day to do something near and buy the gas.

Few home owners with natural gas connection fill their vehicles with gas because it requires an electric powered compressor and requires many hours. Currently, home refuelling an EV is similar but a little more convenient.

That's my frustration. I'm excited about the future of electric vehicles, but as an apartment renter I'm becoming more and more resigned to the possibility I will never own one.

If EV adoption continues as optimists project (like me), apartments and condos will have chargers available. But that probably won’t be common in the next few years, further out.

I agree it will take a while before all apartments have them, but it will happen.

When EVs batteries improve so that:
. EV vehicles have a range which exceeds an ICE vehicle,
. EV vehicles are cost competitive with ICE vehicles, and,
. EV vehicles can be fuelled in less time than an ICE vehicle (which would require more expensive chargers).
. then:
.. the away from home refuelling station method will remain common,
... for similar reasons to the current existence of current petrol / diesel / LPG stations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom