The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that Google noticed the lack of reply, and sent me a nudge: "Sent 4 days ago. Follow up?".

Yep, Google reads my mail and knows all about what I did, where I have been, and what I intend to do in the future. If the smartcar does not know about my doctor appointment, Google will tell it. :rolleyes:

What a great service. Just don't read my tag line.

Unlike ICE vehicles, where you always have to make trade-offs between performance, comfort, fuel-efficiency, ownership costs, passenger & cargo space, practicality, just get an EV.

If you want a comfortable car, then get an EV... They are extremely quiet with smooth acceleration.

If you want a sporty performance car, then get an EV... they are extremely quick and torquey with very low center of gravity.

If you want a lot of space for passengers and cargo, then get an EV... the small drivetrain means lots of passenger and cargo room for it's class... even a frunk.

If you want reliable low-maintenance and low cost-of-ownership point-a-to-point-b vehicle, then get an EV... they just keep running with essentially no maintenance required except tires.

If you want convenience, then get an EV... charges in your garage while you sleep.

And being an EV makes all of these desirable properties possible in the same vehicle.

And if you want to haul your snowmobiles 90 miles up into the remote mountains, get an ICE.

What a great service. Just don't read my tag line.

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Yep, what could possibly go wrong!

Which makes me think, why couldn't I (for an example) do my grocery shopping on line with Walmart and then "send" my self driving car in to pick it up and return without me having to sit in the car and waste my time?

Last edited:

Which makes me think, why couldn't I (for an example) do my grocery shopping on line with Walmart and then "send" my self driving car in to pick it up and return without me having to sit in the car and waste my time?

Probably better run that past your car insurance company first.:LOL:

Starting to have some reservations about my name on the F150 Lightening list -
1. Newly announced price hikes
2. Questionable eligibility for tax credits (based on possible price and battery sourcing)
3. Possible towing range anxiety for ski boat, jet skiis, and utility trailer. We don't tow a lot but it seems like it might be an issue based on the numbers I'm hearing.
I think I need more information on all three of these potential issues.

A whole car?? Even if it's an EV, that's a lot more energy than is needed for delivery! How about a delivery robot? :cool: (I love the idea of self-driving cars, but this is a cool idea for local deliveries, like groceries and restaurants.)

First thought is, the car needs to understand "which" doctor you want to go see today. :) Or maybe you can link your personal calendar to the cars computer and it will just know.:) And if it does, maybe it could toot it's horn when its time to go or send you a text, etc. :)
My car occasionally suggests that I link my phone calendar, for the reasons of preconditioning the car for a scheduled appointment drive as well as knowing where to go.

The problem right now is that DB’s worldwide tour calendar appears in my calendar and I don’t want to confuse my Tesla that much! :LOL::LOL:

If there are ways of linking only a calendar subset I may do it.

Last edited:

That’s exactly the aim of these self-driving services.

But seriously, there are already delivery services to save you a trip. And a natural target for automation.

I’m looking for the delivery drone!

Last edited:
A whole car?? Even if it's an EV, that's a lot more energy than is needed for delivery! How about a delivery robot? :cool: (I love the idea of self-driving cars, but this is a cool idea for local deliveries, like groceries and restaurants.)

Several companies have been doing it, or tried to. One started a trial delivery service in a college campus. I forgot to check up, and don't know how it is doing.

PS. And while we are straying from the thread topic of EV, well perhaps not as all of these autonomous vehicles are electric, Amazon, Google, and Walmart are testing airborne delivery by drones in small test markets with the approval of the FAA.

Last edited:
This video about DoorDash drone delivery service dated back to 2017. I am going to look to see what happened to this project.

Drones fly = flying robot.

Right. Sorry for the goof. Here's the drone called Wing by Google.

What's neat about this is that it has VTOL capability (Vertical Take-off and Landing), but flies like a fixed-wing aircraft for a better range.

And here's the latest Kiwibot that was just announced in Santa Monica.

kiwibot.jpg

I just completed a multi-day 1,260+ mile trip, no problem. Long road trips are absolutely not a problem if you choose the right EV.

I.e., if you're currently willing to (over)pay for a Tesla. This will change over time, but it's a sad reality now.

Last edited:
I view this article as a opinion looking for a story to fit it.
While a Bolt isn’t a great trip car, it is far easier than the article indicates.
He documented his issues, it wasn't his opinion. Jeez.

From his article, which ends positively:

I’m Still Optimistic About an Electric Future
Right now, EV charging infrastructure is crap, there are plenty of pitfalls, some of which I fell into, despite having a seemingly airtight plan. But, EV road-tripping is possible, provided you stay flexible and keep your wits about you. I still think that better things are on the horizon.

A short while ago, the electric car internet launched itself in a tizzy over a Wall Street Journal article in which a journalist drove an electric car over a very long road trip, remarking that she spent more time charging, than sleeping. Now, Electric car twitter isn’t real life, but the author’s piece set bruised a lot of egos. Words flew around, and it seemed like more than a few EV enthusiasts set out to prove her wrong.

In the immortal words of Hannibal Buress, Why are you booing (her)? (She’s) right.

Charging infrastructure woes nearly doubled my travel time, and it’s not even the car’s fault. The Bolt EUV is impressive in so many metrics. In just ten years we’ve gone from hastily converted kei cars that can barely do 60 miles in ideal conditions, to cars that can sail well past 200 miles when driven like a normal person. Articles like mine or hers shouldn’t exist, EV charging should be as ubiquitous as gas, but it isn’t.

Until it is, articles and tip lists like this will continue to be written. EV road tripping is possible, even with crap infrastructure. Stay smart, stay flexible, and I promise, things are only going to get better for EV drivers from here on out.

Yup.

Last edited:
People could read Audreyh1's posts and see how charging is done.

Or any of the other posters who actually have a Tesla know.

FTFY, and if you and all the other EV zealots would actually read these trip reports instead of complaining about them you might understand the issues that non-Tesla owners deal with. The guy that wrote the Ars article I posted upthread was most definitely not an idiot nor was it a hit piece, but I guess anything close to reality about the state of non-Tesla charging infra is automatically suspect in y'alls book.

Last edited:
Or maybe you can link your personal calendar to the cars computer and it will just know.:)

Tesla already does that. This feature was added many years ago. If you set your Home and Work locations, it will automatically assume one or the other based on context (current location, time of day, etc.) and can automatically start navigation to that destination. If you have other appointments with location information in your phone's calendar, it will do the same for those destinations as well when you get into the car.

Does anyone think that linking your personal calendar to your car's computer which is controlled by third parties is a security issue?

People are usually paranoid about all kinds of dissemination of personal information these days and I would put linking your calendar to some car's infotainment screen near the top.

FTFY, and if you and all the other EV zealots would actually read these trip reports instead of complaining about them you might understand the issues that non-Tesla owners deal with. The guy that wrote the Ars article I posted upthread was most definitely not an idiot nor was it a hit piece, but I guess anything close to reality about the state of non-Tesla charging infra is automatically suspect in y'alls book.

Roblj doesn't have a Tesla. I've never heard him complaining about anything. Perhaps you should read his posts, instead of posting opinions that support your opinion.

Simple solution: listen to the EV owners here who take their time here on the forum to explain to everyone what reality is like.

Does anyone think that linking your personal calendar to your car's computer which is controlled by third parties is a security issue?

People are usually paranoid about all kinds of dissemination of personal information these days and I would put linking your calendar to some car's infotainment screen near the top.

Yeah. I'd be hesitant to link that info to my car. I'm sure folks get tired of me pointing to my tag line, but I do actually believe it. It's been borne out too many times to dismiss it with a "you're paranoid." (Heh, heh, I considered a tag line of: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."):LOL:

The way Tesla implements it is that the calendar isn't shared with the car. It's shared with the app (which could obviously be worse if you're the untrusting type) and when you get into the car with your phone, then the car will automatically pull that calendar sync and set the navigation destination.

Completely up to you if you use it or not. I understand the concern, but I also don't see this as any worse than any other modern car which all have navigation systems that remember all of your recent destinations and network connectivity.

I understand the concern, but I also don't see this as any worse than any other modern car which all have navigation systems that remember all of your recent destinations and network connectivity.

Yeah, I don't have one of those either.:whistle:

I understand that one might not be any "worse" than (fill in the blank.) But (in this case) calendar AND navigation is potentially worse than just one or the other. But, I'm sounding paranoid again.:blush:

The way Tesla implements it is that the calendar isn't shared with the car. It's shared with the app (which could obviously be worse if you're the untrusting type) and when you get into the car with your phone, then the car will automatically pull that calendar sync and set the navigation destination.

Completely up to you if you use it or not. I understand the concern, but I also don't see this as any worse than any other modern car which all have navigation systems that remember all of your recent destinations and network connectivity.

I'm not saying what Tesla has to offer is good or bad, but sharing your personal calendar may give 3rd parties (anyone) who can extract that info the times you won't be home or away for a few days and that could give them opportunity to clean out your house.

I'm not saying what Tesla has to offer is good or bad, but sharing your personal calendar may give 3rd parties (anyone) who can extract that info the times you won't be home or away for a few days and that could give them opportunity to clean out your house.

Or stuff we've never thought of. Or stuff we don't want to think of. Never good to share too much info.

Totally agree with you guys... It's up to each individual's personal choice and risk profile... although we can probably all agree that it's getting more and more difficult to avoid taking these risks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom