The Electric Vehicle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to have some reservations about my name on the F150 Lightening list -
1. Newly announced price hikes
2. Questionable eligibility for tax credits (based on possible price and battery sourcing)
3. Possible towing range anxiety for ski boat, jet skiis, and utility trailer. We don't tow a lot but it seems like it might be an issue based on the numbers I'm hearing.
I think I need more information on all three of these potential issues.

You're not locked into the price of the vehicle at the time you put down a deposit? Or there was no deposit, just a name on the list?

The way Tesla implements it is that the calendar isn't shared with the car. It's shared with the app (which could obviously be worse if you're the untrusting type) and when you get into the car with your phone, then the car will automatically pull that calendar sync and set the navigation destination.

Completely up to you if you use it or not. I understand the concern, but I also don't see this as any worse than any other modern car which all have navigation systems that remember all of your recent destinations and network connectivity.

I'm not saying what Tesla has to offer is good or bad, but sharing your personal calendar may give 3rd parties (anyone) who can extract that info the times you won't be home or away for a few days and that could give them opportunity to clean out your house.

Or stuff we've never thought of. Or stuff we don't want to think of. Never good to share too much info.

Well sure, some unscrupulous Tesla employee could rob your house or sell the address and times to some thief.

My personal calendar has things like dental and Dr. appointments.

But I once put a link to my Google Calendar in TripIt so whenever I forward emails of planes and hotel reservations to it, it builds an itinerary. And then it links the dates to my Google Calendar, which in turn syncs with the calendar on my phone.

Haven't been burgled yet during my trips and it's been set up this way for 10 years if not more.

I think a more likely concern is if Tesla sells the calendar data so some third-party date mines it and comes up with some kind of consumer profile and starts serving up ads to me.

I do get ads, though I use ad-blockers. Once in awhile some of the ads might be more applicable than the generic ads.

But it hasn't felt intrusive yet.

BTW, I think advertisers and marketers generally ignore people over 50. The most desirable demographic is 18-49 and even younger because spending is higher. Not saying they don't do targeted ads to people 50 and over, just probably not their primary target.

Even though people 50 and over probably have more money.

Or the 18-30 demographic often spends the money of their parents 50 and over.
:LOL:

Anyone wants to see these robots, er autonomous delivery EVs in action?

Well sure, some unscrupulous Tesla employee could rob your house or sell the address and times to some thief.

My personal calendar has things like dental and Dr. appointments.

But I once put a link to my Google Calendar in TripIt so whenever I forward emails of planes and hotel reservations to it, it builds an itinerary. And then it links the dates to my Google Calendar, which in turn syncs with the calendar on my phone.

Haven't been burgled yet during my trips and it's been set up this way for 10 years if not more.

I think a more likely concern is if Tesla sells the calendar data so some third-party date mines it and comes up with some kind of consumer profile and starts serving up ads to me.

I do get ads, though I use ad-blockers. Once in awhile some of the ads might be more applicable than the generic ads.

But it hasn't felt intrusive yet.

BTW, I think advertisers and marketers generally ignore people over 50. The most desirable demographic is 18-49 and even younger because spending is higher. Not saying they don't do targeted ads to people 50 and over, just probably not their primary target.

Even though people 50 and over probably have more money.
Or the 18-30 demographic often spends the money of their parents 50 and over.
:LOL:

We're glad that things have gone well for you!

I recall the days living in Connecticut on three acres in a big colonial home. We never locked up anything and when we sold the house in 1980 we couldn't even find the door keys. :D Of course, this was all before computers were everywhere.

Last edited:
Most affordable EVs are going to be 200-250 miles per charge.

What will help is if and when Tesla opens up their network to non Tesla EVs.

But that may cause queues at some of the Tesla SuperChargers.

Yep, most 300+ mile EVs are over $50k...might as well just buy a Tesla at those prices.

$35k & under 200-25 mile EVs are for us hoi polloi.

You're not locked into the price of the vehicle at the time you put down a deposit? Or there was no deposit, just a name on the list?

It cost $100 to add your name to the list but no specific configuration or price is locked in. The $100 is refundable. Not sure when I would be "next" and would be able to place the order. It might be a while still. I think I was about 120,000th on the list.

It cost $100 to add your name to the list but no specific configuration or price is locked in. The $100 is refundable. Not sure when I would be "next" and would be able to place the order. It might be a while still. I think I was about 120,000th on the list.

If the new Gov bill has all these restrictions on qualifying for the tax credit, I would guess that a lot of potential buyers will opt out of the waiting lists.

Yep, most 300+ mile EVs are over $50k...might as well just buy a Tesla at those prices.

Tesla raised prices a lot because they had more demand than they could ship out.

But they have a bad rep for poor build quality and cheap interior materials.

Especially compared to cars of a similar price.

But they certainly have the highest rated range.

It's only money. You cannot take it with you. If you want the car and can pay for it, why not?

I just don't care for any car. I don't love any car. It does not love me back. Have to have one so I can get around.

No, I still have 3. :) It's for backup, just in case the preferred one acts up.

Last edited:
Roblj doesn't have a Tesla. I've never heard him complaining about anything. Perhaps you should read his posts, instead of posting opinions that support your opinion.

Does he take long trips and does he post his charging experiences on long trips??

If not it's irrelevant to what I have been posting, which is that the state of non-Tesla charging infra is bad. If you want to deny that fine, but it's not supported by numerous evidence now.

Point to a successful non-Tesla long trip that didn't involve charging issues and/or long waits and I'll take a look.

Last edited:
Reality is different things to different people.

Hmmm... I don't think reality is a subjective thing. :)

Rather, different people like different things, and something that's a minor inconvenience to someone is a big deal to another.

For example, if I have an EV, I don't think plugging it in to charge in my garage is a big deal. That would take less than 10 seconds. Some posters said they would mind it. Well, that's their choice.

Having to look for a place to charge on a cross-country trip is a bigger hassle for me. People who do not think it's a problem can continue to travel with their EV. Does not bother me any that they do.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that linking your personal calendar to your car's computer which is controlled by third parties is a security issue?

People are usually paranoid about all kinds of dissemination of personal information these days and I would put linking your calendar to some car's infotainment screen near the top.

For what it is worth, I still remember a quote by Scott McNealy from many years ago. I looked it up and found it on a Web page.

Scott McNealy, co-founder and former CEO of Sun Microsystems, famously told a group of reporters, “You have zero privacy anyway…Get over it!”

The year was 1999. The Internet as we know it was barely five years old. There was no Facebook, Google or Twitter. eBay was four years old, but they were barely starting to accept credit cards. Paypal wouldn’t exist for another three years.

If McNealy observed that privacy was obsolete in 1999, what must he think of today’s world of social media, smartphones and international commerce via the Internet? Over the next 10-20 years, it will be virtually impossible to live off the grid or be a digital hermit...

I think TV and movies have exaggerated how easily people can be tracked.

You have these action shows and movies where they're triangulating cell phone locations in real time and also they just move satellites or drones above anyone in an instant.

Usually though, when you hear of law enforcement, they are serving subpoenas to tech companies to get data on a suspect. That means it's OLD data, certainly not something they track in real time.

You've heard FBI directors, CIA directors and even presidents complain that smart phones have to have a backdoor because full device encryption makes it so tough for law enforcement.

Advocates of this need for intelligence and law enforcement to be able to access devices talk about the ticking time bomb scenario, you know, some scene out of the TV show 24.

And now people worry that connected cars, not just EVs but all new cars now have mobile data connections which can send data back to manufacturers so they may track your location.

I would be surprised if it's as easy as someone plugging in a VIN number and they have real-time updating of a vehicle's location.

When law enforcement tries to track down cars linked to crimes, they have a partial license plate and they can look at the address where the car is registered but they rely on tips from the public and traffic cameras on the oft chance the car passed certain intersections.

If law enforcement had these capabilities, you wouldn't hear about suspects being missing for days, weeks or they're never found.

Maybe the NSA can do this type of surveillance in real time but they will only use it for big things, not run of the mill crimes.

Really the bigger threat is not that your private info. leaks out of your device or is stolen.

It's that you get phished and unwittingly install malware on your devices. There are certainly surveillance tools marketed to governments for millions of dollars by Israeli companies. But those are used for politicians and protest leaders, because of the costs.

They're not being shared nor are these expensive "no-click" hacks being used on use anyone's phone.

Now maybe some cyber criminals will find a way to break into your phones and steal your bank and brokerage assets. But the people who are victims of this kind of hacking are usually people who had sizable holdings in crypto currency or the unfortunate who are victimized by SIM jacking.

Or maybe ransomware, though most of the targets of those are larger companies.

Every sports/super/hyper car will have to be electric within the next iteration to have any hope of staying relevant. With the Plaid here, a Plaid+ probable, and the 2nd gen Roadster imminent, all ICE performance cars will look quaint.

^^^^ :)
What is the car world coming to.:sick:

I'm sure there is a huge demand already built up for the electric Rolls-Royce coming next year.

Introducing SPECTRE

I am sure the Spectre will be a nice car. A Web site says its price will not exceed $400K.

But, but, but is it self-driving? True and safe self-driving that is. Else, if you cannot afford a chauffeur, you will have to drive it yourself. Not so cool then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom