The Gas Vehicle Thread

joesxm3

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This thread is dedicated to discussing how great gas vehicles are, which are the best gas vehicles.

Last edited:
If EVs work, or don't work out is of no interest to me.

I like my ICE Chevy HHR for a number of reasons:
1. It was/is affordable
2. Filling up at the gas station is only 5 minutes and there's usually a gas station within sight on most non-residential roadways. Yes, on the interstate through New Mexico and Arizona there may have been a 100 mile stretch with no fuel, but that was certainly the exception. There was definitely no Superchargers out there.
3. I am able to repair most everything myself. Parts are widely available for low cost.

It is now my "mission" to keep the HHR running as long as I possibly can.

My 2004 Acura TSX just had its 20th anniversary a day or two ago. So far I have over 233,000 miles on it and have not had much in the way of major repairs. I service at the dealership and spent about $2000 a year there.

The worst was brake calipers freezing and having to be replaced, the alternator dying and the steering fluid pump leaking.

I had planned to keep the old car running and even put a new set of tires on it last year. But the two week out of service getting the power steering fixed and the worry of a part dying while driving my 96 year old mother got the better of me.

I probably would have replaced it with an Acura TLX, but there was a horrible lack of supply. When Telsa dropped the Model Y price from $66,000 to under $55,000 that tipped me over the edge.

I still have my Acura TSX and plan to keep it as a second car or take over my stepfather's 33,000 mile Nissan Sentra if that makes more sense. However, the both the Acura and the Tesla run circles around the Nissan.

People raise the point of being dependent on electricity. I don't drive much so a power outage will not bother my Tesla. But I can see someone having to drive to work every day finding it a problem. Probably easier to find an open gas station than an open charger. Seems prudent to keep the gas car as a backup.

I feel that I really got my money's worth out of the TSX. I don't expect to have the Tesla anywhere near that long and will probably trade it in in five or six years to get a newer model with improved technology. I tend to view the Tesla as a blow that dough, delayed mid-life crisis splurge.

One other advantage I see is if Tesla gets self-driving or even gets a little better at driver supervised driving it will be very useful as I get old enough to have my license pulled. But Tesla may license the technology even to gas cars.

EV's don't work where I'm at. It's 120 miles one way to the nearest Costco or Sam's Club. An EV just can't make that round trip and definitely not in the winter with any safety margin ("keep your tank at least half full" from October through April).
What p____s me off is that the inferior replacement tech has been mandated. All ICE's regardless of fuel are being banished. "How about hydrogen/biodiesel/etc?? No... you must drive a $80000 golf cart".
And it doesn't matter that electric can't possibly replace a single piece of farm equipment. "You vill eet ze bugz".
If you think inflation has been bad lately it's going to rip your face off when this river of BS floods through the economy.

EVs replacing ICEs has the potential (PV cells) to reduce CO2 levels in our mostly confined terrarium, called earth.

A lot of folks think our future depends on it happening.

It's a very emotional subject to some.
Not in any meaningful way unfortunately, if at all. We. And this is probably not helpful in the unabashedly ICE thread.

I am in the market for a new car. The choice is either ICE or a hybrid. Since I only drive 2000 miles a year, I may just get an ICE. In California, the year 2035 will be the year to stop selling ICEs. If I am still fit at the age of 80 by then, I may have to buy an EV.

My 2004 Acura TSX just had its 20th anniversary a day or two ago.. /snip/

Man... I wish I still had my 2004 Acura TL with 6 speed manual... I LOVED driving that car.. and would still have it today if not for some stupid truck stopping after turning a corner and me not looking right when I was turning... who the heck turns a corner on red and just STOPS...

It was about 10 years ago so it was 10 years old with 45,000 miles.. I had zero problems with it..

I actually think hybrids are the way to go but some talked the powers that be into backing the EVs.. too many incentives going that direction and now it seems all manufacturers are going EV...

For a 2nd car it might be an option, but the costs are still too high to have one just for running local trips.. maybe I will get a used one in time..

Can we please have a civil conversation and not demean those with whom we do not agree?

Why I like my 99 Suburban. Gasoline engine of course.

Has a 7.4 Litre engine. Yes, it is a gas hog. 45 gallon fuel tank. KaChing $$$ at fillup. Being FIREd, I don't care what it costs for fillup of this or other two gasoline vehicles.
Weighs little over 7000 lb.
Very comfortable to drive. For the size, handles great. Even as two wheel drive in snow, hidden feature -locking diffrerential.

Great view for watching traffic and adapting.

According to Fire Dept emergency vehicle research way back then, it will not roll over until broadside wind is over 125 MPH.

Moved all household possesions from Maryland to Penssylvania 16 years ago. Late wife and I loaded all items. Saved a fortune on movers. Probaly saved the cost of the vehicle itself, which I bought used in 2000. Interstate moves are expensive. So nearly free as an expense, save for fuel and maintenance. BTW when we were moving gas was over $4.- /gal.
Never left me stranded, truly awesome reliability. Except for the rear AC unit which I blocked off, everything works. No rust.
Seats 9, when we had extended family visit everyone on board for local outings.

Was great for towing the Argosy trailer I had for some years.
Weight distribution with driver only is 50/50 front rear. Very balanced.
Nowadays I use it to haul my 40lb 18 foot kevlar kayak:D

Last edited:
I have considered EV, but for me I find too many downsides for my use. Just completed a 4000+ road trip. There's no way I'd enjoy stopping every 200 or so miles to top off my battery. Then hope for available charger and that it wasn't shares, etc. Visiting FIL, he's so remote there was no charger within 50 miles. Nearest gas station is 10+ miles. Fortunately 400+ miles on a fill up.

One thing I see those selling EVs, mostly Tesla as they been sold long enough, they are mentioning replacement of the battery pack at 100k miles or so, they ain't cheap.

Unclear why administration doubling down to force everyone to EVs, I'd hate to live in parts of the country where below zero is norm for extended periods of time and range significantly impacted. And just watch electric rates once all these cars are on the grid, a "fill up" won't be cheap and overall costs for electricity will go up.

One thing I see those selling EVs, mostly Tesla as they been sold long enough, they are mentioning replacement of the battery pack at 100k miles or so, they ain't cheap.
Uh no, that’s not true at all. Even at 200K miles little degradation. No replacement needed.

I'm 100% ICE, but my friend's plug-in RAV4 is intriguing. He has over 2k miles on his current tank of gas because he knows where every free charging station is located. On long trips it simply becomes a hybrid. Hardly are replacement for my Tundra in capability, but certainly a worthwhile consideration as a travel vehicle. Once again, I have only ICE vehicles with the newest a 2022 model. Full electric just will not work where I live.

Uh no, that’s not true at all. Even at 200K miles little degradation. No replacement needed.
I'm just going by what I see with older Tesla's being sold by owner. Many note battery and or drive unit replaced. [emoji2369]

I've been a car guy for most of my life and miss many of the cars I've owned over the years. Love the sound of a high performance engine and the thrill of being on a road course in a great handling and braking car. No EV can provide that level of performance on a twisty circuit, unless you crave straight line performance.

OK... watching the Mecum auto auction and I do not see a single EV being sold...

They had a 2023 and a 2020 go across a few minutes ago... highly customized but still new cars...

Our current tow vehicle for our camper, which doubles as the haul vehicle for fishing trips, is a 1999 F-150, V8, 5 speed manual. It's been a good truck for 24 years but I'm thinking it's time to get one last old school ICE truck to finish my days with. I'm concerned about the new designs that use small turbo charged engines and would rather find something with a traditional V8 or even a V6. I'd rather buy new and avoid the hassle of finding a used vehicle. 5K lbs towing capacity would be fine. I'd also like to keep it below $60K OTD. Any suggestions as to what is out there?

Attachments

• IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I'm just going by what I see with older Tesla's being sold by owner. Many note battery and or drive unit replaced. [emoji2369]
Not at 100K miles as you alleged. That’s not at all representative, if there are any that have been replaced at 100K they’re exceptions.

Real-world data showed that Tesla battery degradation was less than 10% after over 160,000 miles (257,500 km):
https://electrek.co/2020/06/06/tesla-battery-degradation-replacement/

Last edited:
We have a Mercedes GLK250 Diesel and a Kia Soul. Staying pat until diesel becomes too rare. Might consider a used hybrid at some point.

I've been a car guy for most of my life and miss many of the cars I've owned over the years. Love the sound of a high performance engine and the thrill of being on a road course in a great handling and braking car. No EV can provide that level of performance on a twisty circuit, unless you crave straight line performance.
A production Model S Plaid with track package just made a good showing at Nürburgring, decidedly not a straight line. Most of the cars that were faster were very limited production purpose built to set track records, some cost 10-20X the Model S. Anyone can buy the Model S Plaid w track package unlike most of the “production” cars with faster laps.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/5/23746906/tesla-model-s-plaid-track-pack-nurburgring-record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

Last edited:
Bring back the Honda Element. When we first saw one it was a what the hell were they thinking moment...but then we learned about how practical it was. Clam shell tail gate, flat hard rubber like flooring and rear seats that folded up and to the side and removable too. Tons of cargo fit inside. Hauled mountain bikes, 55 gallon aquarium and stand. Many trips to Home Improvement stores and nurseries. We camped in it a few times. Regret selling it after 10 years of ownership.
Over on the Element website there are a couple of threads on people wanting a new EV Element. There many there opposed to the idea but I would take one in a heartbeat...the practicality of a Element with the efficiency of an EV sounds like a winning combo to me for my use needs.
For now we will enjoy our Bolt EUV....the closest thing I could find to an Element that Phoenix would allow us to use in the commute lane if one needs to go it alone on the freeway here.
Bring back the Element in ICE and EV options..

Excellent! Now when power goes out you can still drive your car, cool off and charge your phone.
You must lose power a lot. Guess we’ve been fortunate in that we’ve experienced few lengthy outages, and not that many blips either all considered. We’ve lived in several states, served by several utilities. Recently US customers averaged just over 6 hours without power per year due to major (weather) events, and less than 2 hours non event related.

Interesting that many attribute increased power outages to climate change…

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=50316

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom