The I Bond Thread

So if one wants to put the finest point on their early I-bond sale, they could put their issue into eyebonds.info and wait until the value reflected on the Treasury Direct site was beyond the latest blue rate change?

Right now, this bond is reading "$10,764" on Treasury Direct, indicating that not all the juice is out of the 6.48% yet. Once it reads "$10,852", you can sell and not leave any 6.48% on the table.

Optmal time to redeem would be August 2. On June 1, July 1 and Aug 1 you would credited with $32, $28 and $32 of interest at the 3.38% rate and if you redeem on Aug 2 you would be assessed an early withdrawal penalty for the last three months of interest and receive $10,820... the $10,912 value as of Aug 1 less a $92 early withawal penalty.... and the $10,820 would reflect all ths at the 6.48% rate

P.S. I haven't actually redeemed an i-bond yet, but the above is my understanding.

When did you buy your bonds?

I was trying to pick the date for Sengsational's iBond.

But I really need to know my own.

My purchase dates are below along with my Redemption date guess.

Purchased 10/27/21 Redeem Jan 2, 2024

Purchased 12/16/21 Redeem Sep 2, 2023

Purchased 1/19/22 Redeem Oct 2, 2023

I think you are correct.

Looks correct to me too.

Thanks all for providing the link and examples to figure this out!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Still have not received our converted electronic bonds here at the 10 week mark from mailing them in (9 weeks since they arrived there).

I feel sorry for the poor folks who actually somewhat needed the money fast lol. It doesn't seem right that the government could sell you a paper bond then refuse to redeem it at the place you bought it (bank).

Optmal time to redeem would be August 2. On June 1, July 1 and Aug 1 you would credited with $32, $28 and $32 of interest at the 3.38% rate and if you redeem on Aug 2 you would be assessed an early withdrawal penalty for the last three months of interest and receive $10,820... the $10,912 value as of Aug 1 less a $92 early withawal penalty.... and the $10,820 would reflect all ths at the 6.48% rate

P.S. I haven't actually redeemed an i-bond yet, but the above is my understanding.
That makes sense.

What I kind of remember is that the value displayed on the TD site doesn't include the 3 months of interest until after 5 years. So it lags what it says on eyebonds.info. I was trying to make a no-brainer rule based on the value in TD and the eyebonds.info output, and I think it works.... wait until you see $10,820, which should show on August 2nd, and you got all payments from the previous rate.

That makes sense.

What I kind of remember is that the value displayed on the TD site doesn't include the 3 months of interest until after 5 years. So it lags what it says on eyebonds.info. I was trying to make a no-brainer rule based on the value in TD and the eyebonds.info output, and I think it works.... wait until you see $10,820, which should show on August 2nd, and you got all payments from the previous rate.
That’s right. You don’t see that 3 months interest on Treasury direct until you are past 5 years then suddenly 3 more months of interest show up.

when selling do you get prompted for routing info or does it retain the original (from Schwab for me)...just curious before I dive in.

when selling do you get prompted for routing info or does it retain the original (from Schwab for me)...just curious before I dive in.
Yes. You can now add/modify different account as well, thanks to the recent update on TD website. I just added a new account before selling and it worked like any other bank website.

Under the "ManageDirect" tab is a menu. In the "Manage My Account" group is "Update My Bank Information". Very quick and easy and functional in my experience. I wanted the redeemed amount to go to a different bank than my funding bank.

"Redeem Securities" is in the group below that. Was shocked, shocked I tell you, at how easy and functional redemption was.

I redeemed on the second of the month - has anyone redeemed on the first and not lost interest? How quickly can can one redeem in the month?

Last edited:
Under the "ManageDirect" tab is a menu. In the "Manage My Account" group is "Update My Bank Information". Very quick and easy and functional in my experience. I wanted the redeemed amount to go to a different bank than my funding bank.

"Redeem Securities" is in the group below that. Was shocked, shocked I tell you, at how easy and functional redemption was.

I redeemed on the second of the month - has anyone redeemed on the first and not lost interest? How quickly can can one redeem in the month?

Seems like it would be worth a day of interest to avoid the possibility of unintentionally losing a month of interest.

Yes. I did it on Aug.1 (transaction date) and paid on Aug.3 (payment date) and the money available the same date on my account, no loss of interest (except the 3 previous months).

I found this recent article that helped me think through the iBond challenge.

The I Bond exit ramp is now open; proceed with*caution https://tipswatch.com/2023/08/06/the-i-bond-exit-ramp-is-now-open-proceed-with-caution/

Thanks.

Interesting, I have a bond issued on 10/1/22. This article was the first I realized that it has a .4% fixed rate. I looked on TD and I can’t see where it says that it has a fixed rate. Is there anyway to confirm the fixed rat on TD?

Thanks.

Interesting, I have a bond issued on 10/1/22. This article was the first I realized that it has a .4% fixed rate. I looked on TD and I can’t see where it says that it has a fixed rate. Is there anyway to confirm the fixed rat on TD?

This is the golden chart, direct from treasury direct. Has the rates for every iBond ever. You may have to increase the magnification of your PDF viewer.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/files/savings-bonds/i-bond-rate-chart.pdf

Last edited:
The TIPS fixed is getting hard to ignore compared to IBonds. A 10/27 TIPS I bought this week had a fixed of over 2.2%. Well above the IBond fixed.

Back
Top Bottom