The I Bond Thread

EDIT
Okay I read up a little more on this. Maybe it would be smarter to leave it in the gift box as long as rates stay higher. I could then make my own 10K deposit more each year while the money stays in the gift box earning interest and counting down the 5 year clock.
Can someone confirm I'm understanding this correctly.
Thanks

It might be better to deliver the gift and buy another gift. You can then redeem the delivered bond if the rates go to zero. If you don't deliver the gift and purchase another bond, you're stuck with two bonds that you can't redeem until the following year.

It might be better to deliver the gift and buy another gift. You can then redeem the delivered bond if the rates go to zero. If you don't deliver the gift and purchase another bond, you're stuck with two bonds that you can't redeem until the following year.

Clever thinking.

I'm going to do this as well, better to be careful.

Help....
I am in the TD website, which one should I choose

Series EE - An accrual-type security with a fixed interest rate

Series I - An accrual-type security with a combination interest rate of a fixed and an inflation rate

I Bond Rate May 2022

Eucerin; said:
Help....

I am in the TD website, which one should I choose

Series EE - An accrual-type security with a fixed interest rate

Series I - An accrual-type security with a combination interest rate of a fixed and an inflation rate

Why are you there if you don’t know what you want?
Before you do anything, read this thread from the beginning.

Why are you there if you don’t know what you want?
Before you do anything, read this thread from the beginning.

Treasury and I-bond are brand new to me, never dared to venture it until now. I have been reading and reading and decided to follow the steps of the thread that provided.
Honestly, the TD website is so tedious that I lost myself in it. It took few minutes to get common sense kicked in.
I am here to buy I-bond, so I bought it.

I can’t tell you what to select but this is the one that is the topic of this thread.

Eucerin; said:
Treasury and I-bond are brand new to me, never dared to venture it until now. I have been reading and reading and decided to follow the steps of the thread that provided.

Honestly, the TD website is so tedious that I lost myself in it. It took few minutes to get common sense kicked in.

I am here to buy I-bond, so I bought it.

[emoji106] Yeah, I often briefly lose that common sense thing. Some days more than others.

I can’t tell you what to select but this is the one that is the topic of this thread.

Thank you!!
This is what I bought.

I am now going to set up another account for my spouse.

Questions:
1. where to provide beneficiary information?
2. 10k per person/year. me and spouse 20k this year. can we gift for this year? or for next year?

Eucerin; said:
Thank you!!

This is what I bought.

I am now going to set up another account for my spouse.

Questions:

1. where to provide beneficiary information?

2. 10k per person/year. me and spouse 20k this year. can we gift for this year? or for next year?

You set up a new registration where you can select with a beneficiary or a gift. There is also an option for joint registration where the first name will use the social security number for the yearly limit.

You set up a new registration where you can select with a beneficiary or a gift. There is also an option for joint registration where the first name will use the social security number for the yearly limit.

Ok. completed with purchasing I-bond for me and spouse for this year. Need a glass of vodka to calmed my nerves.
This is the best place to know anything about I-bond and treasury. You guys are knowledgeable and helpful.

Maybe in a couple of days, I will work on the I-bond gifts to spouse and spouse to me. The gifts are for 2023, as 2022 limit 20k already been used.

Tangential to the topic, but I am hoping to tap into the experience of others that may have done a paper to digital EE bond conversion with Treasury Direct.

Situation: Thanks to this thread, DW and I opened Treasury Direct accounts in November last year and made $10k I-bond buys for each of us. I also sent two "conversion manifests" of paper EE bonds that were otherwise sitting in the home safe waiting for us to lose them. DW's EE bonds were all fully matured, so they were converted into cash in the Treasury Direct account within 30 days. All of mine were below full maturity date. It is now 4 months since I received a confirmation email that the paper bonds+manifest were received, but they have still not been converted to digital EE bonds. I've emailed twice and called twice, but can't get a person or a non-canned response.

As of about 3 weeks ago, there was some sign of progress: when I look at the manifest inside of the Treasury Direct account, the last EE bond on the list shows "in process".

Seems unlikely to me that 4 months is a normal amount of time, but then again, there were signs of progress 3 weeks ago that hadn't shown up in the first 3 months of waiting. Anyone else have experience with this conversion process?

Ok. completed with purchasing I-bond for me and spouse for this year. Need a glass of vodka to calmed my nerves.
This is the best place to know anything about I-bond and treasury. You guys are knowledgeable and helpful.

Maybe in a couple of days, I will work on the I-bond gifts to spouse and spouse to me. The gifts are for 2023, as 2022 limit 20k already been used.

Best to do the gift before the 28th, as treasury direct changes the date you select based on their timetable.

Just remember that if you deliver the gift bonds to each other in 2023, you won't also be able to buy bonds for yourselves in 2023 (assuming you bought $10k in gift bonds each)
I assume in 2023, each spouse can still gift each other for future year(s).

I assume in 2023, each spouse can still gift each other for future year(s).
Yes, you could do that.

I've gone through the whole thread but did not take notes. While, I have over $30K in Ibonds, I was never aware of gifting so I have a question which most likely would not apply for at least year or two, due to the current attractive rates. As an example, if a gift is purchased 4/25/22 and redeemed a year later, can it be sold by the recipient any time after with the 3 months penalty, of course?

I've gone through the whole thread but did not take notes. While, I have over $30K in Ibonds, I was never aware of gifting so I have a question which most likely would not apply for at least year or two, due to the current attractive rates. As an example, if a gift is purchased 4/25/22 and redeemed a year later, can it be sold by the recipient any time after with the 3 months penalty, of course?
MJ, yes the 1 yr required starts on month of purchase (thus the advantage to pre-purchasing now for delivery in 2023). It can be redeemed after that 1 yr purchase anniversary by the giftee after you deliver it to them with the 3 months interest penalty if not held for the 5 yr minimum.

I really hate the password login part, and how it's not case-sensitive by design, reducing the complexity of passwords. I'm not even sure that virtual keyboard is better at security than a password field I could paste in my password.

That is weird indeed, although I like the 2 factor authentication, that is an usual sequence (code from email first, user password only after that first step)...that feels pretty secure.

Best to do the gift before the 28th, as treasury direct changes the date you select based on their timetable.

Just purchased gifts to spouse for 2023 and 2024, and spouse to me (40k total).

Not sure if I did right. For 2023 gift, I "add new registration", put spouse as primary and myself as secondary (beneficiary), checked the gift box, done.
For 2024 gift, I followed exact procedure as 2023. Although spouse name already in the dropdown box, but figured that I need to check the "gift box", so I "add new registration" again to go through the procedure.

Just purchased gifts to spouse for 2023 and 2024, and spouse to me (40k total).

Not sure if I did right. For 2023 gift, I "add new registration", put spouse as primary and myself as secondary (beneficiary), checked the gift box, done.
For 2024 gift, I followed exact procedure as 2023. Although spouse name already in the dropdown box, but figured that I need to check the "gift box", so I "add new registration" again to go through the procedure.

Once you have a registrant like " Dear Wife POD to ME" , a person can just select that existing entry from the drop down list each time a gift is purchased.

It will actually show in the review stage that it is a gift.

It will actually show in the review stage that it is a gift.

I didn't see "this is a gift" in the review page.
I did wrong, I don't know where I did wrong, that's going to be a problem.
Got 2 emails from TD this morning on over purchase for the year, but there are really meant for the gifts for 2023 and 2024.

I will need to re-purchase the gifts, but I have to figure out where I did wrong first. I followed the procedure by Harry Sits website - 3 radio boxes, pick the beneficiary, then filling in spouse name as primary, then my name as secondary, then check the gift box, its done. But the review page didn't say "this is gift"

You need to set up a completely new registration and select the gift radio button. Then it will allow you to add a beneficiary.

Back
Top Bottom