The I Bond Thread

Try this: Create a separate category (or sub-category) specifically for savings bond (I bond) interest. Then in the report, customize it to exclude that category of income from the report.

Excellent suggestion; I had not thought of that -- it will make it very easy to exclude. Thank you!

Edit: I just tried it. This would have worked great except that I set up our Treasury Direct accounts under Investing. So I am limited to Quicken-defined actions. I might move my TD accounts up to Banking if no one else has a better suggestion.

Last edited:
Question for the Quicken users here (I know there are a few...)

In the past couple years we have bought several I-Bonds and at the time I entered the purchase amounts as investments in Quicken. I haven't updated Quicken with any of the interest yet because we use the reports out of Quicken at year end to help us predict expected taxes so we can gains/loss harvest and do Roth conversions. I didn't want the interest showing as taxable income in those reports because it's only taxable when you cash in the bond. These are the only bonds we hold in taxable accounts so I've never encountered this issue before.

OTOH, as we continue purchasing and holding I-Bonds in the coming years, I can see how not entering the interest is going to throw our Asset Allocation reporting out of whack, because it is going to under-report our Bond holdings. How do other Quicken users here track I-Bonds and interest?
Record the interest as a receivable, which it is. When interest is received you offset against the receivable.

Record the interest as a receivable, which it is. When interest is received you offset against the receivable.

Thanks -- I should have mentioned that I set up our Treasury Direct accounts under Investing. So I am limited to Quicken-defined actions and don't see a way to record it as a receivable there. I guess other Quicken users just keep their Treasury Direct accounts under Banking, so perhaps I will need to do the same.

Excellent suggestion; I had not thought of that -- it will make it very easy to exclude. Thank you!

Edit: I just tried it. This would have worked great except that I set up our Treasury Direct accounts under Investing. So I am limited to Quicken-defined actions. I might move my TD accounts up to Banking if no one else has a better suggestion.

I've only bought two 26 week T-bills, but am using 2006 Quicken and showing the purchase in Investing Center. What I did was to show the purchase cost (Bought $49044.50 for a $50k 26 week T-bill) on the purchase date, then show IntInc predated (3/24/2023) for $955.50. That may not be the right or best way to do it, but it kept our numbers right.

Question for the Quicken users here (I know there are a few...)

In the past couple years we have bought several I-Bonds and at the time I entered the purchase amounts as investments in Quicken. I haven't updated Quicken with any of the interest yet because we use the reports out of Quicken at year end to help us predict expected taxes so we can gains/loss harvest and do Roth conversions. I didn't want the interest showing as taxable income in those reports because it's only taxable when you cash in the bond. These are the only bonds we hold in taxable accounts so I've never encountered this issue before.

OTOH, as we continue purchasing and holding I-Bonds in the coming years, I can see how not entering the interest is going to throw our Asset Allocation reporting out of whack, because it is going to under-report our Bond holdings. How do other Quicken users here track I-Bonds and interest?

Here is how I do it. I wanted to be able to track them in my Interest Income report, my Asset Allocation report but not track them in my YTD Taxable Income report. Plus since both my wife and I have I Bonds I wanted to be able to track each individual I Bond for both me and my wife.

I first created an account in Investing named Treasury Direct - Name of Person. For example, Treasury Direct - Michael. I created it as a Brokerage Account and said it was not tax deferred and do not show cash in a checking account. Also you can add a tax schedule at the bottom to track Schedule B interest. I did not add any tax schedules to the account.

I then created a security for each separate I Bond each of us owns. I named each separate I Bond "I Bond - Date of I Bond when purchased - Name of Person. For Example, I Bond 110121 Michael. When creating the security
the Type: US Savings Bond, Asset Class: Created the name I Bonds, you can also add the Maturity Date at that time.

When an I Bond pays interest I record it in the Treasury Direct - Michael account, action: Reinvint Security: I Bond 110121 Michael.

I now create 4 reports. One name Deferred Bonds & CDs (All IRA or I Bond accounts and securities listed), Asset Allocation and YTD Taxable Income. I also track Deferred Bonds & CDs interest income in another report.

On the Deferred Bonds & CDs under Accounts I check the Treasury Direct - Michael account. On Categories I chose all except Not Categorized. There is a reason I had to uncheck Not Categorized but I don't remember why. On Securities chose all, on Actions Chose all, On Security Types, choose the types you want tracked, in this case I Bonds that you had previously created.

On the Asset Allocation report Choose on all fields. It creates the report by the asset classes you previously created when you created your security.

On the Taxable Income, choose Accounts you want to include, choose the categories you want to use but make sure you have chosen _DivInc and _IntInc. Make sure that the accounts you use in your Taxable Income report you have applied the Tax Schedules ScheduleB:Interest Income and ScheduleB:dividend income. Remember we did not do that in our Treasury Direct accounts.

I know initially this is a lot of work but once everything is set up then it's very simple. You just enter you interest on any CD, Bond, I Bond, Corporate Bond, etc and all the reports work as expected.

I hope I didn't miss anything in this convoluted explanation. Being very anal about stuff this helps me track each individual I Bonds interest right down to who's I Bond it is. I also can track individual CDs, Corporate Bonds, Treasury Bills, Cash, Money Market, EE Bonds, etc. Just create an asset class for what you want to track separately if one is not available.

I usually can figure out a way to have Quicken track anything I want. I buy a lot of discounted Gift Cards so I created a report to track those, I also track Points & Miles from all my credit card rewards, hotel and airlines. I even track the $ benefit amount of all these rewards when redeemed plus major coupons I've used, etc, etc, etc. Crazy, uh?

One last thing I keep all Bank Accounts, IRAs, Checking Accounts, everything under the Investing Tab. The only accounts under banking are my credit card accounts.

Last edited:
I first created an account in Investing named Treasury Direct - Name of Person. For example, Treasury Direct - Michael. I created it as a Brokerage Account and said it was not tax deferred and do not show cash in a checking account.
I then created a security for each separate I Bond each of us owns. I named each separate I Bond "I Bond - Date of I Bond when purchased - Name of Person. For Example, I Bond 110121 Michael. When creating the security
the Type: US Savings Bond, Asset Class: Created the name I Bonds, you can also add the Maturity Date at that time.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I had already set our TD accounts and the individual bonds up the same way as you had. Just needed a push in the right direction as to how to get the interest to show up only in the reports I want to see it in. The replies I've received to my question have been very helpful, much appreciated!

I don't want to completely hijack the thread for non-Quicken users, so consider my sub-question asked & answered! Many thanks!

Just bought two bonds as gifts. So now me and DW each have 10K we bought in April and another 10K to give each other at the beginning of 2023.

Note, didn’t seem to have any problems with TD. The process seemed pretty straightforward and, of course, the help from this thread made things go smoother. Thanks all.

Last week Treasury Direct site wouldn't let me buy Gift Ibond . I tried again yesterday no joy. This morning I was able to buy a gift bond for my Wife.

Sadly, I'm still locked out....:mad:

Ha, I tried at 8 AM today and what do you know: I'm on hold now! Says it is a >2 hour hold time but at least I'm in the queue..... boy, expectations are low these days..:facepalm:
Now let's see if I actually get someone on the phone, or get disconnected somewhere along the way. I'm cautiously optimistic, but far from holding my breath.

Just bought two bonds as gifts. So now me and DW each have 10K we bought in April and another 10K to give each other at the beginning of 2023.

Note, didn’t seem to have any problems with TD. The process seemed pretty straightforward and, of course, the help from this thread made things go smoother. Thanks all.

Looked today and they are in our Gift Boxes.

Question, the bonds are dated 10/1/2022. Will I get the 9.6% interest for six months from that date? I figured I'd only get one month or so seeing as we are at the next interest rate adjustment.

Question, the bonds are dated 10/1/2022. Will I get the 9.6% interest for six months from that date? I figured I'd only get one month or so seeing as we are at the next interest rate adjustment.

You’ll get 9.6% for six months, then it will update to the new rate for the next six months and so on.

You’ll get 9.6% for six months, then it will update to the new rate for the next six months and so on.

Wow, that's a good deal! No wonder y'all were saying to get these before November. Thanks!

Ha, I tried at 8 AM today and what do you know: I'm on hold now! Says it is a >2 hour hold time but at least I'm in the queue..... boy, expectations are low these days..:facepalm:
Now let's see if I actually get someone on the phone, or get disconnected somewhere along the way. I'm cautiously optimistic, but far from holding my breath.

Success! After 3 1/2 hours on hold, I got through the account was unblocked in a couple of minutes. I was VERY worried because I was on my cell phone and I do get calls dropped occasionally.... but luckily, it held up for all that time!

Now, I will re-try my iBond conversion sometime in the near future when I fell really lucky.....

You will get 6 months, but forfeit the first 3 months if you withdraw less than 5 years. So, if you want to enjoy 1 year of interest, hold for 15 months.

I will add some to our gifts on Oct. 26, so my money can continue to earn interest from Oct. 1 - 26 in our high-interest online bank account. Even if you buy on Oct. 26, it will still be retroactive to Oct. 1st.

Last edited:
You have the entire year to do it and it has no effect on the interest earned or on the aging of the I-bond. So there is no need.

Having it auto set, might actually cause more problems as you might gift to someone, after they had already bought a small amount. Then the gift fails as is over the limit.... etc..

I realize you have the entire year, but you still have to remember to do it. And as to your second statement...we can put a man on the moon but we can't design a system whereby before a giftee buys a security it can't check to see that a "giftor" has gifted them something already?

Example: I go in today and say "Effective 1/1/23, give my gift to person A".

On January 1st, person A goes in and attempts to buy their own I-bond...but the system should be smart enough to say "Sorry, someone has already gifted you $10k for 2023, so you cannot purchase any more".

Doesn't seem that difficult to me.

You will get 6 months, but forfeit the first 3 months if you withdraw less than 5 years. So, if you want to enjoy 1 year of interest, hold for 15 months.

I will add some to our gifts on Oct. 26, so my money can continue to earn interest from Oct. 1 - 26 in our high-interest online bank account. Even if you buy on Oct. 26, it will still be retroactive to Oct. 1st.

Minor thing. According to TreasuryDirect, you lose the last 3 months of interest not the first 3 months. Must hold them for at least 1 year.

Bonds with issue dates of February 2003 and later are eligible for redemption one year
from the issue date. However, if a bond is cashed within the first five years after its issue date, interest
earned during the three months prior to cashing will be forfeited
. Once a Series I bond is five years old,
there is no interest penalty for redemption

Minor thing. According to TreasuryDirect, you lose the last 3 months of interest not the first 3 months. Must hold them for at least 1 year.

+1

Which means if you cash in your Ibond after inflation has taken a long dive down, you don't lose very much compared to what have earned in these high inflation days. Not a bad deal.

Series I Mistake

On May 20, 2022, I attempted to purchase via TreasuryDirect a gift for my wife a Series I bond for delivery in early January 2023. I did it incorrectly and I got an e-mail on May 23, 2022 stating "Your purchase exceeds the annual savings bond purchase. . . . You should receive your refund approxiately 8 to 10 weeks from the date of purchase." Today is October 19, 2022, and I have not received the refund. Treasury does not respond to e-mails. I have written them with no response. I have contacted one of my U.S. Senators who then had an aide contact Treasury, and he just got a form response. I have tried calling but the wait time is over two hours. This morning I tried calling at 8 a.m. Washington, D. C. time (7 a.m. my time) and again told the wait time would be over two hours. The phone message tells me a total of 13 weeks processing time. That amount of time has long since passed. It took Treasury just a few hours to remove $10,000 from my bank account. Now 5 months later it has not been returned. Any suggestions as to what I can do next?:mad:

+1

Which means if you cash in your Ibond after inflation has taken a long dive down, you don't lose very much compared to what have earned in these high inflation days. Not a bad deal.
Yep. That's my plan.

On May 20, 2022, I attempted to purchase via TreasuryDirect a gift for my wife a Series I bond for delivery in early January 2023. I did it incorrectly and I got an e-mail on May 23, 2022 stating "Your purchase exceeds the annual savings bond purchase. . . . You should receive your refund approxiately 8 to 10 weeks from the date of purchase." Today is October 19, 2022, and I have not received the refund. Treasury does not respond to e-mails. I have written them with no response. I have contacted one of my U.S. Senators who then had an aide contact Treasury, and he just got a form response. I have tried calling but the wait time is over two hours. This morning I tried calling at 8 a.m. Washington, D. C. time (7 a.m. my time) and again told the wait time would be over two hours. The phone message tells me a total of 13 weeks processing time. That amount of time has long since passed. It took Treasury just a few hours to remove $10,000 from my bank account. Now 5 months later it has not been returned. Any suggestions as to what I can do next?:mad:

Maybe after November 1 things will calm down. Or try this:

https://oig.treasury.gov

If you have been reading my recent posts, you will know that I am not currently a big TD fan either...... however, I'm sure the current iBond interest rates have led to crazy increases in inquiries, website problems, complaints, etc etc. A "normal" company would beef up their staffing with new hires and/or temporary positions to respond to the market. However, this is the Federal Government - creating additional position or even accessing extra budget for temps is an arduous process and takes many months, if not years. So, the same number of people is trying to take care of ten times as many customers all of sudden. It's no mystery how that ends up.... To me, this just means that the Government should not be in these customer facing roles. Go back to letting banks/brokerages sell iBonds - they know how to set up and maintain websites, call centers, customer service. The Gubmint decidedly does NOT. There is not a single Federal website (and only VERY few State and Local government websites and databases) that offer an even remotely acceptable customer interaction.
OK, rant over!!! :cool:

As far as your question, what does your TD account say? Does that bond that you erroneously purchased show up? I'm asking because I did a similar "exceed the limit" transaction earlier this year and they also sent me that nastygram e-mail saying such a transgression could lead to cancellation of the purchase or closure of my TD account. But nothing happened! So, I called them (incredibly, back in May, there was no hold time at all and I reached an operator on the first try - something that seems inconceivable now) and told them I was confused about what I did wrong and what was going to happen now. The operator told me:" don't worry about it. We don't always follow through on the cancellation if it looks like an honest mistake". And sure enough, so far, my two extra purchases just sit in my account. Go figure! Perhaps they are so busy that they just can't deal with these things at this point. Perhaps, they will follow through and cancel the bonds at a later date once they catch up with the backlog. Who knows? But based on what that one operator told me back in May, they may just consider the nastygram they sent as a slap on the wrist and leave it all alone. After all, an extra 10 grand bond purchase from an individual isn't really doing any damage to them.

Woooffff - long post -- sorry! :D

Last edited:
If you have been reading my recent posts, you will know that I am not currently a big TD fan either...... however, I'm sure the current iBond interest rates have led to crazy increases in inquiries, website problems, complaints, etc etc. A "normal" company would beef up their staffing with new hires and/or temporary positions to respond to the market. However, this is the Federal Government - creating additional position or even accessing extra budget for temps is an arduous process and takes many months, if not years. So, the same number of people is trying to take care of ten times as many customers all of sudden. It's no mystery how that ends up.... To me, this just means that the Government should not be in these customer facing roles. Go back to letting banks/brokerages sell iBonds - they know how to set up and maintain websites, call centers, customer service. The Gubmint decidedly does NOT. There is not a single Federal website (and only VERY few State and Local government websites and databases) that offer an even remotely acceptable customer interaction.
OK, rant over!!! :cool:

As far as your question, what does your TD account say? Does that bond that you erroneously purchased show up? I'm asking because I did a similar "exceed the limit" transaction earlier this year and they also sent me that nastygram e-mail saying such a transgression could lead to cancellation of the purchase or closure of my TD account. But nothing happened! So, I called them (incredibly, back in May, there was no hold time at all and I reached an operator on the first try - something that seems inconceivable now) and told them I was confused about what I did wrong and what was going to happen now. The operator told me:" don't worry about it. We don't always follow through on the cancellation if it looks like an honest mistake". And sure enough, so far, my two extra purchases just sit in my account. Go figure! Perhaps they are so busy that they just can't deal with these things at this point. Perhaps, they will follow through and cancel the bonds at a later date once they catch up with the backlog. Who knows? But based on what that one operator told me back in May, they may just consider the nastygram they sent as a slap on the wrist and leave it all alone. After all, an extra 10 grand bond purchase from an individual isn't really doing any damage to them.

Woooffff - long post -- sorry! :D

I thought it would work its way through too, but after the two months, I started writing letters. Now it is 5 months and nothing. I see one purchase sitting in my account but another $10,000 is not there. I tried calling in May and I got a long wait then. You were lucky. I gave up this morning after an hour. Someone else just posted recently that they had a 3 and half hour wait. Maybe they will pay me interest on the money they are holding----he writes hopefully Thanks:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Now it is 5 months and nothing. I see one purchase sitting in my account but another $10,000 is not there.

Bookman, if you were trying to purchase a gift, it won't show up where the rest of YOUR bonds are. Have you tried looking in the Gift Box and see if your missing $10,000 is there?

Back
Top Bottom