the Ides of April (Tax Day)

It's the least wonderful day of the year

Mine are going in the PO about an hour from now. Late afternoon on the last day... the "e" in Mdlerth stands for Procrastination.*

It seems like I never receive all my supporting documentation until long after everybody else has theirs. Plus I always end up having to write a check, so I'm not in a huge hurry to file.

But it looks like the 2018 changes saved me a few bucks, so Yay new tax law! :dance:

* Yeah, I'm not a champion speller.

E-filed and accepted, refunds applied to 2019 taxes and sending out 32 hundred more in estimated payments today.

Fini

Finally wrote the big checks. 55k to Feds. 72k to state. Taxes from some one time events after retiring in 2018. Had the money in a separate account for this. Knew it was coming but my hand still shook as I was writing the checks. I am sure the federal and state government can spend the money more wisely than I ever could (heavy sarcasm applied).

1st quarter estimates need to go out today also.
Did my turbotax efile in March/ Since I made a point of having low income for the year I ended up with zero tax liability. So yay for that.

The one good thing about the dip in the market at year's end was that it dropped my RMD by $2K

Finally wrote the big checks. 55k to Feds. 72k to state. Taxes from some one time events after retiring in 2018. Had the money in a separate account for this. Knew it was coming but my hand still shook as I was writing the checks. I am sure the federal and state government can spend the money more wisely than I ever could (heavy sarcasm applied).

Just heard from the accountant today, I will be filing for an extension. Need to send an addition $30k to the Feds, but the state is good. I will send the check in tomorrow and wait to September to hear the final damage.

oh geez, you win, I guess :mad:

Yeah I have no regrets. I was born into a poor but loving family. My school counselor introduced me to the ACT and SAT tests (which I had never heard of in high school). Did well, got federal and state grants for college, got engineering degree, got hired by a Fortune 100 company. Climbed the ladder to executive level by helping people vs hurting them. So i pray that money helps somebody like me vs lines the pockets of some crooked politician. Pay it forward.

Yeah I have no regrets. I was born into a poor but loving family. My school counselor introduced me to the ACT and SAT tests (which I had never heard of in high school). Did well, got federal and state grants for college, got engineering degree, got hired by a Fortune 100 company. Climbed the ladder to executive level by helping people vs hurting them. So i pray that money helps somebody like me vs lines the pockets of some crooked politician. Pay it forward.

that's awesome!

E-filing in an hour or two. I am sure there will be no problems....:)

what could possibly go wrong?

young guy at the orifice just told me he ended up having to mail his return cause he couldn't e-file over the weekend....js

what could possibly go wrong?

young guy at the orifice just told me he ended up having to mail his return cause he couldn't e-file over the weekend....js

I just don't get the last minute filing thing. I think, for some, it is almost a game.

But one little glitch, and you end up filing late.

We paid Oregon and California and the Feds our due amounts, plus quarterly payments. Tried out electronic payment for the first time, not sure I like it as paying by check was down to a real defined process. Managed to get one electronic payment pulled by accident on 12/9. Went up to Big Bear Lake Sunday and came back today to find a letter from the IRS forwarded down from Oregon, dated 4/5/19.

It seems I made an error and in some number of days I'll get a letter detailing the problem and I can gather documents to explain my position.

In the IRS envelope was a refund check.

The check is in the amount of $1.00.

I'm askeered to cash it but may frame it.

Started early...this morning. Well not really. The CPA has been working on it. Business return done a few weeks ago. This morning she e mails a draft copy. I peruse it..of course skipping down to the bottom. Wowza. Owe $7k? The business did not do as well as the previous year and I owe more? Start looking at it & see I have some AMT. Wha:confused:? We trade e mails a bit. She comes back with a "corrected" copy. Apparently the software program doubled up on the business depreciation which pushed us into AMT. Corrected and we owed <$1k

Then time to do the City Business return. Not too bad. Enter a few numbers & it auto fills. Write a check. Enclose the 1120. Then a small line at the >55 community Post Office.

Finished taxes up a couple weeks ago, put waited to verify any last minute updates. Ran the two state returns and realized that we needed to go back and enter the charitable deductions. We had pulled ahead a lot of deductions into 2017, and took the new standard deduction on the Fed for 2018. But there was still a benefit to have the charitable deductions for the state, so we had to round up and enter those. E-filed everything on Saturday.

I will never wait until the last day to e-file. Last year, we ended up with a $1 penalty to the State of Minnesota for insufficient withholding. (DW thought one of the payments was due on the 15th, but it was actually due on the 1st. Just enough that we had that tiny penalty.) TurboTax had no problem letting us pay to e-file that return, only to mere minutes later explain to us that because of the $1 penalty, we had to mail in the return. We were still one day ahead of the deadline, so we sent a check to one address, for $1. The paper return (about 1/2 inch stack of paper) went to a different address.

I had a cpa do our taxes. Got them last week and forgot about them. Reviewed them over the weekend and saw that I forgot to sign the e-file forms. So I got the forms back to the cpa this morning and made it to the po with a check.

I had HRB efile set up, review done, and owed $$$, so I delayed until today.

Wrong decision ! The efile was rejected several times - every time I fixed one problem, they rejected for another reason.

At 4pm - there was another rejection & we were anxious - so we printed and mailed with a check.

Not my best day :(.

I prepared 7 returns this year as normal... 6 personal returns and 1 trust return.

All personal are e-filed except for a friend who is old school and prefers to mail it... and just as well since I run out of federal e-files. Trust return is mailed.

As usual, DD and DSIL are last... finally got the last of DD's info on Friday and e-filed her return on Saturday.

Also, scheduled Mom's federal and state estimated payment for 2019 on Sunday.

Hmmm. Okay. Good for you

You can eFile when done and pay later by check or eftps.gov or other online payment options. That’s what we do. We eFile in March if we can, making sure there are n problems, but we don’t pay until April 15.

You may even be able to specify when to take the money on your tax form.

Thanks! Actually, as I was efiling my return this morning I came across that option in my tax software and thought to myself, "Good idea; I might have to do that next year (if I owe)."

I had HRB efile set up, review done, and owed $$$, so I delayed until today.

Wrong decision ! The efile was rejected several times - every time I fixed one problem, they rejected for another reason.

I had my HRB-prepared efile rejected multiple times by IRS last year and was afraid of that happening again this year. Luckily, after I fixed the one problem that HRB's error review caught this time (omission of a street address on a 1099) it went right through and was accepted by IRS on the first try this year. But I definitely feel your pain!

Luckily, after I fixed the one problem that HRB's error review caught this time (omission of a street address on a 1099) it went right through.

Odd that would trigger rejection when those addresses aren't needed at all when filing by mail.

Back
Top Bottom