The Move is On

HighFlight

Dryer sheet aficionado
After 5 great years in Nebraska, we are on the road. Heading to eastern Tennessee for warmer weather, a much better tax situation, and closer to family in NC. These forums have been great for ideas for us-looking forward to the next phase of life. FYI, I had a stroke in Mar 2020 (essentially fully recovered), lost my FAA medical (so forced retirement), then went to work part time at our church. Spent the last 2+ years pondering the next phase. Now it's time to execute. Here's to the future!

We're on the same adventure!! My SO and I are currently building a new place in East Tennessee. The move from central Illinois to Tennessee has been a dream of mine for many years. The weather and beauty will be a welcome change. Illinois seems stagnant in this area as well as the costs to live being somewhat repressive. We can afford to stay and pay, but we choose to move.
The move will happen in May next year.
Good luck on your new adventure as well!!

VW

I wish you well on all fronts.

I'm not sure I could adjust a move away from the frozen tundra. It would be a huge culture shock from living in the northwest. I'm not that brave and but wish you well.

Congrats on the move! That is one of the most beautiful areas of the country and is a great place to be. Good luck on the new adventures!

Congrats on your retirement and move. Glad to hear that you are essentially recovered from your stroke and ready to enjoy the next step in your life!

After 5 great years in Nebraska, we are on the road. Heading to eastern Tennessee for warmer weather, a much better tax situation, and closer to family in NC. These forums have been great for ideas for us-looking forward to the next phase of life. FYI, I had a stroke in Mar 2020 (essentially fully recovered), lost my FAA medical (so forced retirement), then went to work part time at our church. Spent the last 2+ years pondering the next phase. Now it's time to execute. Here's to the future!

Congrats! The Smokey Mountains are one of my favorite places in the US.

Congratulations on the move. I'm from Middle TN, but traveled extensively personally and on business to East Tennessee for years.

You'll find the people up there to be different. They're more back to nature. They love to tell stories. And they're quick to laugh. There's still a little of that hillbilly spirit in the region.

Do you know what community you'll be moving to? Difficult decision as there are so many fine cities east of Knoxville.

We are heading to Cleveland area. Looking forward to it. I'm originally from the Boone NC area, so very familiar with the Blue Ridge.

Last edited:
Very cool area. The Ocoee area is great for rafting and the area is very scenic. Enjoy.

I wish you well on all fronts.

I'm not sure I could adjust a move away from the frozen tundra. It would be a huge culture shock from living in the northwest. I'm not that brave and but wish you well.

I'm looking to get out of the PNW and Tennessee is one of the places I'm considering. I know several people who have already done it and absolutely love it.

I'm looking to get out of the PNW and Tennessee is one of the places I'm considering. I know several people who have already done it and absolutely love it.

I'm a Nashvillian by birth, but we live 5 miles inside Alabama outside of the Rocket City. Possibly the world's smartest city. We're here for the fabulous Tennessee River. Since the wife's disabled, we have no property taxes. And house prices are 1/2 that of Nashville.

Cleveland is a very nice city--just a few minutes north of Chattanooga. And with I-75, you can go to other cities easily. We often go there going thru the Ocoee River going to our place in Helen, GA.

Trying to wrap up things here in Florida and then head in the same direction. Hopefully the Cumberland Plateau.

and it's 'middle tennessee', not central tennesseee.

For further background, Tennessee has three grand divisions - East, Middle, and West. They are represented by the three stars on the state flag. I'm not aware of any legal or political implications of the grand divisions - it is just a historical artifact of some sort.

Congrats! After 26 years we ditched Chicagoland for NC 3+ years ago, and we have ZERO regrets - we love it here! We loved Chicago when we were younger, but you couldn't pay me to go back there now. We miss Lake Michigan, our good friends up there, and that's it!!!

For further background, Tennessee has three grand divisions - East, Middle, and West. They are represented by the three stars on the state flag. I'm not aware of any legal or political implications of the grand divisions - it is just a historical artifact of some sort.
Well it’s very very wide and even has two time zones. We love the Smoky Mountains north side.

Last edited:
Have visited many times and would consider living there if the Paradise thing doesn't w*rk out. We have Hawaii friends who just moved to Knoxville. Lots to do every place we looked. Half decent weather (though I got all but stranded in Nashville due to 1/2 inch of snow one time.) Truly beautiful state. Enjoy!

From Wikipedia:

The Tennessee State Constitution mandates that no more than two of the five Justices on the state's Supreme Court can be from any one Grand Division. The court must also meet regularly in each Division in the cities of Jackson in West Tennessee, Nashville in Middle Tennessee, and Knoxville in East Tennessee.[11] Similar rules apply to some other state institutions. For example:

The former Tennessee Public Service Commission was required to consist of three commissioners, including one commissioner from each Grand Division, although the commissioners were elected in statewide elections.[12]
State law requires that the ten-member Tennessee Textbook Commission, which consists mainly of professional educators, must include three members who do not work in education — one from each of the three Grand Divisions.[13]
State law requires a particular number of appellate judges be from each Grand Division.

From Wikipedia:

The Tennessee State Constitution mandates that no more than two of the five Justices on the state's Supreme Court can be from any one Grand Division. The court must also meet regularly in each Division in the cities of Jackson in West Tennessee, Nashville in Middle Tennessee, and Knoxville in East Tennessee.[11] Similar rules apply to some other state institutions. For example:

The former Tennessee Public Service Commission was required to consist of three commissioners, including one commissioner from each Grand Division, although the commissioners were elected in statewide elections.[12]
State law requires that the ten-member Tennessee Textbook Commission, which consists mainly of professional educators, must include three members who do not work in education — one from each of the three Grand Divisions.[13]
State law requires a particular number of appellate judges be from each Grand Division.

This all makes perfect sense to me. I knew a married couple - she from roughly Memphis and he from Johnson City (Johnson City has a street who's center line separates Tennessee from Virginia - Both states share the city.) She always made it clear (without saying it) that western TN was the enlightened/cosmopolitan end of the state while Eastern TN was "Appalachian" (whatever she meant by that - I don't think she used it as a compliment though I love the Appalachians.) They got along fine but I could always tell that she considered the various regions of TN to be very "different." So with a long and narrow state, it might make sense to insure representation from the length of the state. YMMV

This all makes perfect sense to me. I knew a married couple - she from roughly Memphis and he from Johnson City (Johnson City has a street who's center line separates Tennessee from Virginia - Both states share the city.) She always made it clear (without saying it) that western TN was the enlightened/cosmopolitan end of the state while Eastern TN was "Appalachian" (whatever she meant by that - I don't think she used it as a compliment though I love the Appalachians.) They got along fine but I could always tell that she considered the various regions of TN to be very "different." So with a long and narrow state, it might make sense to insure representation from the length of the state. YMMV

Memphis is a crime-ridden pit of a city...I'd take the Tri-cities any day of the week.

Bristol TN and Bristol VA are split by the TN/VA state line not Johnson City, TN. J.C. is about 20 miles south of Bristol but in the same general area of East TN.

As a side note West Tennessee can keep their cosmopolitan and enlightened ways on their side of the state. The people that are moving to East Tennessee are generally trying to get away from the enlightened ways of the cosmopolitan areas.

Back
Top Bottom