The Opioid Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
I need a little help in understanding the headlines about the legal potential settlements for the opioid problem. The headlines and article are filled with bits and pieces, but few detail the situation with full explanations and numbers that are involved.

So.. in one place, how about the answers to some simple questions.

How many people have died from overdoses?
Over what period of time?
How much has this cost? One year? Over the long term?
Who sued whom? Individual, group, or what class of persons?
Suit for the benefit of:
A single person?
Named persons?
Survivors?
The state?
Unpaid medical bills?
Hospital, Doctors?
Future deaths?
Treatment costs (aside from deaths)

As a Class action, if that is the case....
What class?
Who is involved?
For current or past losses?
For future expenses?

The offer to settle for Billions?
Where will the money go?
Will victims be notified?

Will each case require a separate lawsuit?
Who decides? The Judge?
How is a victim's life valued? Separately? All the same?

What would a class action settlement do for the guilty drug company? What kind of liability.

Many more questions, but so far I haven't found a source that explains what the legal process entails.

Would appreciate a link to a full explanation, or answers to some of the questions above.
.........................................................................................

Maybe to simplify... imagine your husband, wife, child, relative or friend has died from an overdose. What would a settlement mean?

I assume I'm the only one who doesn't understand what is going on. Our local newspaper had a two page article on this but not a single answer to any of the questions listed above. Am feeling very dumb at this point.

Thanks missed that... am copy/pasting the above to the thread... maybe a moderator can delete this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom