The outrageous cost of a birthday dinner..

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My 64th birthday was last week and that morning the Mrs asked “what would you like for dinner?” Birthdays, Anniversaries and windfalls in the RayinPenn household the like are celebrated with a special meal. Not being one to waste choices I thought about it a while and decided on stuffed flounder. We ran some errands and stopped at the fish monger and I saw baby flounder $21.99 a pound! I thought I just cant do it! 21.99 can that be right? It was.
I settled on 2 dozen little neck clams. Yes, I am cheap.

It was over 56 years ago I must have been 7 or 8 which made brother Bruce 11. The Fishing fever that would simmer for our entire lives had taken hold of both of us. We were overwhelmed with joy when we learned that my Dad would be taking us “out east” fishing. I think it was Shinnecock Bay and we rented a boat. We lived pretty simple lives and this was a true extravagance.

We arrived at an ungodly early hour to find fog and cold and motored out to the fishing spot. As best as I can remember the simple Penn reel and rod didnt even have monofilament rather some dacron beige stuff. I would soon learn the reason for the double hook spreader rig.

The fish came in two at a time and soon covered the floor of the wooden skiff. After a while I gave up the fishing and I was bundled up in the bow to get out of the cold wind. I remember my dad fishing with one hand lest he interrupt his smoking.

Once home the fish were cleaned and shared with the neighbors.
$21.99 a pound my god - scary. Im told the recreational fishermen don’t impact the fish stocks like those autoTrawlers do. I really don’t know but cant help but think about Soylent Green.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Ray!

My Ex was big into fishing- surf fishing, fly fishing, deep-sea fishing. (Yeah, it got expensive.) You're absolutely right about the commercial fisheries depleting the supplies- it was a sore subject with my Ex, especially when he fished from the NJ shore and could see the giant "fish factory" boats (fish is caught AND processed on board) just outside the legal boundaries.

My 4-year old granddaughter likes crab legs, which I discovered when taking DS and his family to a seafood restaurant. At the time her sister was just under a year old so too young to eat seafood but that kid eats anything. I predict the sad day will come when I need to order a second bucket of crab legs. I shall encourage my granddaughters to pursue lucrative careers.

Did your wife sing you “When I’m 64”? I think DH is expecting that next year.

Happy birthday!

Did your wife sing you “When I’m 64”? I think DH is expecting that next year.

Happy birthday!

“It was a pretty good year”.. she offered to make dinner and thats darn good!

Happy Birthday Ray -- here's a piece of trivia on the average cost of fish per pound in 1958 -- fisherman were getting a little more than 7 cents per pound at the dock -- not that I am throwing fuel on your fire or anything.:angel:

I guess you do not get out fishing that much, do you?

One of my sisters and BIL travel all over the place to fish... once we were eating some fish and she said 'this cost me over $100 a pound'... WHAT?

Well, when you add the costs of flying up north (not sure where) with the hotels, guides etc. and then pay to ship the fish home she calculated it at over $100 per pound...

But it was really good fish :)

Blow that dough baby! You're getting damn old so better enjoy it. I'll be 64 in a couple of days too. ;) Beats pushing up daisies tho.

It's only money.

Don't tell my DW you can buy fish for as little as $22 per pound. Here are my fishing trips in the last month.

Florida deep sea fishing $1,000 - 20 lbs of snapper fillets = $50 lb.
Montana trout fishing $2,500 - 0 lbs of fillets (catch and release) = $ infinity lb.

Happy birthday, Ray. Great story about your youth.

Neither of us cooks well enough for a special meal (such as BD). We always go out to celebrate. It's probably way more expensive per pound (of almost anything) than eating at home. But look at it this way, you'll never be 64 again so why not splurge (aka "blow that dough!") Congrats on your milestone. And speaking of miles (stoned or sober), YMMV.:cool:

I love fresh flounder and would have bought it and 2 dozen clams.

Blow that dough baby! You're getting damn old so better enjoy it. I'll be 64 in a couple of days too. ;) Beats pushing up daisies tho.

Let me be the first to say happy birthday..

WOW! Cold water lobster doesn't cost that much. At the moment it is about half of that. Clams would be my next choice.

Happy Birthday!

Cheers!

This guy got a $750 voucher from AA and two $250 vouchers from Alaska Airlines after they bungled the handling of 100 lbs. of halibut he caught in Alaska (packed with enough dry ice to keep it frozen for 24 hours) and got it to him late and partly thawed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ame...ozen-fish-alaska-airlines-last-flight-aa.html

Sounds like he was short-changed, especially since vouchers aren't as good as hard cash.

I don't think I could have paid $21.99/lb for flounder either. We spend 2-3 months at the Gulf Coast each winter, and I normally catch all the fish we care to eat, fishing from my kayak. Mostly seatrout, redfish, black drum, and a flounder every now and then. The flounder is my wife's favorite. I think I prefer the black drum, but they are all pretty darn good, especially when they are fresh.

Back
Top Bottom